Problems with SD cards

Started Jun 11, 2011 | Discussions
tombalev
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Problems with SD cards
Jun 11, 2011

Hi guys. I've tested 3 different types of SD cards, but each of them gives me a message "Memory card locked". Even after reformatting in computer problem was still here. First was Sandisk Ultra (Class 4), second Kingston Class 4, third Transcend Class 2.

Device is NEX-3 with firmware 3. Sony MSProDuo works fine.

Mark_McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with SD cards
In reply to tombalev, Jun 11, 2011

Have you checked the "lock" tab on the side of the SD card?

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BruPri
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to Mark_McD, Jun 11, 2011

If it's happening on several different cards, it could be that the record interlock switch inside the camera that makes contact with the safety slider on the card, is jammed or bent. Have a look inside or return the camera for repair.

tombalev
Like?
In reply to BruPri, Jun 11, 2011

Of course it wasn't by the lock switch, but BruPri - I don't know exactly what you mean, can you describe it more? I'm now outside of country, so I can't send it for repair :/

Mark_McD
Like?

If one of your cards is working, I'm inclined to rule out a camera issue, but rather an SD card issue. Whether it's physically locked doesn't suggest the lock switch isn't broken. After time, they can seize. Try wiggling the lock switch back and forth a couple times (not aggressively) then let it sit at lock for a couple minutes, then push it back to unlock.

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
BruPri
Like?

I believe you said all three of your cards exhibited the same issue, has any card worked in the camera?

The "safety switch" on the card doesn't electronically switch anything, but depending on it's position, either inhibits or allows the camera to write to the card or not. This is done by a feeler that is connected to a switch in the camera. If that feeler is jammed or the switch it's connected to is not working properly, no recordy.

Mark_McD
Like?

tombalev wrote:

Maybe I missed something, but I gather this is limited to 1 card working, 3 not.

-- hide signature --
BruPri
Like?
In reply to Mark_McD, Jun 11, 2011

Mark_McD wrote:

tombalev wrote:

Maybe I missed something, but I gather this is limited to 1 card working, 3 not.

-- hide signature --

" I've tested 3 different types of SD cards, but each of them gives me a message "Memory card locked". "

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Try SD cards ...

.. with another camera - then you will know where the problem!

Using brain is very simple, but seldom used ...

tombalev
Like?
Re: Try SD cards ...
In reply to Knallberto, Jun 12, 2011

problem is in the camera, because all mentioned cards work in Canon EOS 500D without any problems. Maybe I could try it with different firmware, but now I'm on FW 3.0 and can't preform any firmware update... Can I downgrade it somehow to older one?

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,060Gear list
Like?
In reply to BruPri, Jun 12, 2011

Read this - most likely, your write-protection-sensor is bend:

BruPri wrote:

Mark_McD wrote:

tombalev wrote:

-- hide signature --

" I've tested 3 different types of SD cards, but each of them gives me a message "Memory card locked". "

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
tombalev
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Jun 12, 2011

Thank you guys for this suggestion. I disassembled my NEX and check the card reader...well I thought that everything is fine with that, because I can see the difference between locked and unlocked SD card by change in that small hole on top of the card reader (see photos). Then after assembly, everything started to work fine. So now, I have functional NEX Thank you again.

JasonGood
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to tombalev, Jun 12, 2011

Very brave - the thing would never work again if I did this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads