Jun 11, 2011
 Chunsum J Choi's gear list:Chunsum J Choi's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill +1 more
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: More for the peepers
In reply to Chunsum J Choi, Jun 11, 2011

As the full size image opened, I was struck by the amount of CA on the roof structure.

This is not good from such an expensive camera. It's not good from any modern camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,412Gear list
Like?

Yeah - LOL - the 17-50 is definately not up to the Job , a mess at F2.8 and F4 has as much CA as a Sony 828 ........ Shame Tamron don't make lenses in Sigma SA mount . Wow does this thing need an EOS mount version .

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
stanislaw stitchanow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956Gear list
Like?
So you believe
In reply to Jaelkay, Jun 11, 2011

CA is caused by the camera?

Well than I must admit you are a really expert with deepest knowledge of photography
I admire you

Jaelkay
Like?
Re: So you believe
In reply to stanislaw stitchanow, Jun 11, 2011

stanislaw stitchanow wrote:

CA is caused by the camera?

Partly. Yes.

stanislaw stitchanow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956Gear list
Like?
There is no wideangle lens for the SD1
In reply to AdamT, Jun 11, 2011

maybe the new 12-24mm will do the job, but any SD1 pictures I saw with zoom lenses where depressing.
This camera shows the slightest decentering of a lens.
Even the new 70-200 was showing blurred corners.

So there are only the primes from 50mm Macro onwards and maybe the 120-300mm which will match the SD1.
But it is anyway to expensive to buy so it is ok for me

And there is no wideangle zoom on the Canon side either which will match the SD1.
Just the 14, 24, 35mm Primes will do the job, maybe.

AdamT
Like?
Re: There is no wideangle lens for the SD1

And there is no wideangle zoom on the Canon side either which will match the SD1.

the 17-55IS EFS is a lot better at F2.8 than the Sigma 17-50 - the original Tamron 17-50 F2.8 is also and neither are CA monsters - the canon 10-22 has an excellent reputation . I'm not big on EFS canons (I have a 550D with a megazoom on that's all) I use Fullframe for work but there are quite a few decent lenses for crop sensors for it which stand up to pixelpeeping bayer 18Mp , things should be even sharper with 15Mp Foveon (that's how it worked comparing the SD cams to a bayer canon or nikon anyway - my 17-70 non OS performs better on the SD14 than I've ever seen one do on a D80, Sony Alpha or Pentax K10 anyway)

-- hide signature --

Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Jaelkay
Like?

AdamT wrote:

the 17-55IS EFS is a lot better at F2.8 than the Sigma 17-50 - the original Tamron 17-50 F2.8 is also and neither are CA monsters - the canon 10-22 has an excellent reputation . I'm not big on EFS canons (I have a 550D with a megazoom on that's all) I use Fullframe for work but there are quite a few decent lenses for crop sensors for it which stand up to pixelpeeping bayer 18Mp , things should be even sharper with 15Mp Foveon (that's how it worked comparing the SD cams to a bayer canon or nikon anyway - my 17-70 non OS performs better on the SD14 than I've ever seen one do on a D80, Sony Alpha or Pentax K10 anyway)

Have you tried the Nikon 14-24? It's brilliant across the zoom and aperture range.

AdamT
Like?

Have you tried the Nikon 14-24? It's brilliant across the zoom and aperture range.

yeah (on FF too) but its an odd lens on APS and there's no way an SD will ever be Nikon mount due to lever operated aperture more than anything - SA is basically the EOS mount electronically but with Pentax mount hardware

-- hide signature --

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,640Gear list
Like?

Chunsum J Choi wrote:

this will be fun.

The building image is mighty sharp - but it has terrible CA. It also have areas with blown out highlights. But - except for the huge amount of detail - I cannot really draw any conclusions from this.

The macro shot at ISO 3200 is not good. But - I dont think anyone has promised it to be and I also assume we would be surprised most of us if it was the case.

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Tiffles
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,944Gear list
Like?
 Tiffles's gear list:Tiffles's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Kodak DCS Pro 14n Nikon D700 Sigma SD10 +4 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,316
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jun 11, 2011

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Chunsum J Choi wrote:

this will be fun.

The building image is mighty sharp - but it has terrible CA. It also have areas with blown out highlights. But - except for the huge amount of detail - I cannot really draw any conclusions from this.

I think we can draw the conclusion that we now have cameras for which the lens is the limiting factor.

However, I have not yet seen an SD1 example with colour quality as good as in typical SD15 shots. They look muddy. This is probably a matter of SPP needing more work.

The macro shot at ISO 3200 is not good. But - I dont think anyone has promised it to be and I also assume we would be surprised most of us if it was the case.

petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
Thanks.

Clearly dissappointing, the resolution is the only thing left, the rest is far behind nowadays cameras quality.

I´m glad I´ll save the money. I wanted from Sigma just similar sensor as SD15 with improvement in ISO performance, but it looks like they screwed with large megapixel count tonal quality of previous sensor.

cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Jun 11, 2011

This shot has too much noise reduction, all the detail is smeared here.

I want to see it with NR off, like the cat shot or fungus shot on outliner.jp.

Now THOSE have detail.

cinefeel
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Jun 11, 2011

This shot has too much noise reduction, all the detail is smeared here. Also, the 17-50 sucks at 2.8, we all know that!

I want to see it with NR off, like the cat shot or fungus shot on outliner.jp.

Now THOSE have detail.

DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,275Gear list
Like?

AdamT wrote:

Yeah - LOL - the 17-50 is definately not up to the Job , a mess at F2.8 and F4 has as much CA as a Sony 828 ........ Shame Tamron don't make lenses in Sigma SA mount .

They did...Tamron Adaptall lenses with an M42 mount or PK mount adapter. I use several.

Wow does this thing need an EOS mount version.

No its just needs sharp prime lenses, not necessarily made by Sigma, instead of soft Sigma zooms.

A picture is emerging....It seems those tiny few that have bought an SD1 have opted for one of the kit options. Specifically, the SD1 + 17-50 EX kit option, and thats probably why the samples always look so soft and poor quality compared to samples from the SD14 and SD15. That and the highly intrusive built-in noise reduction in SPP 5, of course

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
DaSigmaGuy
Like?

stanislaw stitchanow wrote:

maybe the new 12-24mm will do the job, but any SD1 pictures I saw with zoom lenses where depressing.
This camera shows the slightest decentering of a lens.
Even the new 70-200 was showing blurred corners.

So there are only the primes from 50mm Macro onwards and maybe the 120-300mm which will match the SD1.
But it is anyway to expensive to buy so it is ok for me

Just the 14, 24, 35mm Primes will do the job, maybe.

You missed the SD1 samples taken with the Sigma 8-16mm EX?

DaSigmaGuy
Like?

Jaelkay wrote:

AdamT wrote:

I've tried one, on a late Nikon DSLR, and I was'nt impressed. Lots of distortion for a zoom thats supposed to be rectalinear. The old Sigma 14mm f3.5 rectalinear prime has less distortion and in the centre of frame at least is noticably sharper. The Nikon has better contrast but thats about it. You can pick the Sigma up for peanuts...Cant say the same for the Nikon.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?

AdamT wrote:

yeah (on FF too) but its an odd lens on APS and there's no way an SD will ever be Nikon mount due to lever operated aperture more than anything - SA is basically the EOS mount electronically but with Pentax mount hardware

It CAN be Nikon mount, if you buy one of sigmacumlaudes Nikon mount swap kits.

However, your correct that its really only an option for manual focus, manual stop down Nikon lenses as later AF versions, with no manual aperture dial, would be stuck wide open all the time.

cinefeel
Like?
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Jun 11, 2011

Leica mount is the way to go, clearly.

Look at this sample:

http://outliner.jp/Foveon/bbs43.cgi

(it's market as a test of full-auto on SPP5, which looks wrong to me)

However, I think it's a good sample despite the overuse of noise reduction.

Tweak the highlights and downscale 50%... looks SPANKINGLY sharp.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads