Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II on Nex 5 Samples

Started Jun 10, 2011 | Discussions
Lee W
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II on Nex 5 Samples
Jun 10, 2011

Hey Guys,

Thought I would share a few samples from the Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II I got a couple of days ago from ebay for the grand total of £25

Got to say, I am greatly impressed by this lens, it is extremely sharp in the centre at f2.8 (lacks at bit in the corners) but f5.6 onwards, it is very sharp all across the frame.

I was not going for any artistic merit with these, just putting a new lens through it's paces. Included 100% crops for pixel peeing pleasure.

Definitely my new walk around lens.

Lee W's gear list:Lee W's gear list
Sony a5100
HARISKLEITOS
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
very sharp indeed !
In reply to Lee W, Jun 10, 2011

...and nice attractive shots. I have also this lens in the Quantaray version. Any foto with the lens on the body please ?

/

//

/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SMNonDPR
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II on Nex 5 Samples

This is awesome! I have this lens too. I got it nearly 20 years ago when I first started doing photography. I really need to get off my butt and buy an adapter. Can I ask which one you used and where you bought it? Your samples make it look like an ideal prime lens. I can't believe how sharp it is compared to the kit lenses.

SMNonDPR's gear list:SMNonDPR's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3
Lee W
Like?
In reply to SMNonDPR, Jun 10, 2011

The lens is the Canon FD fit. I bought the adaptor from ebay, £18 including shipping from Hong Kong. It came very fast as well, about 5 days to the UK.

I will post a couple of shots with the lens on the NEX soon. Not exactly small with the adaptor but it is pretty light.

It certainly is a great lens, still can't believe it only cost me £25, when I had a 5D I had L series lenses that weren't this good!

Sony a5100
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?

Interesting to see that you got some nice macro shots with this 24mm lens, especially since there are lots of people who claim that the new Sony NEX 30mm Macro is too short to be useful as a macro.

Lee W
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, Jun 10, 2011

Yes, the Macro is very good. I think it is 1:4 which for a 'wide angle' lens is very decent. Makes it even better as a walk around lens.

Sony a5100
kaktusss
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
In reply to Lee W, Jun 11, 2011

Great shots !
Thanks for sharing.

Lee W
Like?
Re: very sharp indeed !
In reply to HARISKLEITOS, Jun 11, 2011

Hi,

As promised I have attached a coupe of shots of the lens on the Nex-5 body.

I have used the 18-55mm kit lens as a size comparison in the last shot. As you can see, not really much bigger the the 18-55mm with the adapter attached. Weight wise, as a guess I would say the lens (with adapter) weighs very similar to the Nex-5 body.

Sony a5100
KEITH-C
Forum ProPosts: 14,131
Like?
In reply to Lee W, Jun 11, 2011

I bought one of these lenses several years ago when it was described as AF but it turned out that , if my memory serves me right , it only gave focus confirmation on film bodies & I returned it. Perhaps I should have held on to it !
--
Keith-C

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,038
Like?
In reply to KEITH-C, Jun 11, 2011

Very nice work. Seems to be sharp on the closeups, yet still able to produce nice wide open shots as well.

Looking at getting a similar Sigma lens. Does the Canon adapter fit all of the Sigma line, or does it vary?
--
Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Lee W
Like?
In reply to davect01, Jun 11, 2011

The Sigma lens itself has a Canon FD fit. The adapter I have mounts all Canon FD fit lenses including any third party FD fit lenses such as this. Hope this helps!

Sony a5100
fzncloud
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to Lee W, Jul 6, 2011

Lee W wrote:

Yes, the Macro is very good. I think it is 1:4 which for a 'wide angle' lens is very decent. Makes it even better as a walk around lens.

Hi Lee W,

I just got this lens. Have a big question for you, when you change the F value from 2.8 to 22, do you visibly see any difference on your nex screen while taking an image?

Mine doesn't, think somethings up.. (sorry for the beginners question.)

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lee W, Jul 6, 2011

Now that's a bargain for 25 pounds. Looks very clean and sharp in the 100% shot, and the bokeh looks very attractive to my eyes too.
--
A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
ollie_b
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, Jul 6, 2011
Lee W
Like?
In reply to fzncloud, Aug 1, 2011

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in answering, I have been on holiday. When changing from f2.8 to f22 you should see the screen get darker for a moment before the nex calculates the new exposure.

It not mounted onto the adator properly, the lens' aperture ring doesn't function and you will always be shooting wide open. You need to make sure the pins are located on the correct side when mounting. Maybe this is your issue?

Cheers,

Lee

Sony a5100
frosti7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lee W, Aug 1, 2011

Excellent pictures!

i see ur having allot of fun with this lens, but i wonder if it really worths it...

compared to the 18-55 kit, the sigma is f2.8 and pretty close to the f4 of kit lens, being wide angle the DOF is already not so deep...,

with the sony's NEX sensor its no problem to bump ISO one notch up - and the kit lens has its benefits like OSS, and the range.
I guesse the sigma is tad sharper thou.

About the upcomng CZ lens, the 24/2, i can see as good alternative to the kit lens,
its going to be smaller and 2 stop difference is nice,

I'd love to hear your take on this.
thanx for sharing!

-- hide signature --
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
In reply to frosti7, Aug 2, 2011

Not really surprised it performs that well since I've that lens for the F-mount. Pretty decent walk-around and compares well to the highly regarded Nikon 28mm 2.8 Ais 0.2m close focus.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads