Hoodman - with 3x adapter - WOW !! Solves EVF wishes?

Started Jun 9, 2011 | Discussions
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,060Gear list
Like?
Hoodman - with 3x adapter - WOW !! Solves EVF wishes?
Jun 9, 2011

Like most (all?) of you, I am eagerly awaiting the focus peaking as a means to make manual focusing a snap - even in bright sunlight.

But I did order the hoodman with the 3x adapter, and like to report on the last few days just trying it out.

• First, mounted on the LLC adapter (I cut slits in the hoodman, it already made a snug fit before applying superglue), it snaps onto the LCD and it hangs solid. In fact, it takes force to pull it off the LCD.

• It makes the nex bulky, and the hoodman is heavy (the LCD doesn't like to be tilted anymore, the weight weighs it down).

• But, the 3x magnification really blows me away - how to describe it? Imagine the LCD screen size increased to 9 inches across, right in front of your eye. I mean, even the basic font characters appear way too large.

• The detail on the LCD is in fact so high that I can manual focus without the need for 7x or 14x magnification - confident and dead on.

• It is not compact - it takes the place of a complete lens in my bag.

• It comes with a cute little pouch, but it does not fit after you add the LLC adapter and the 3x eye piece

• The 3x eye piece has a big flap, blocking all light around your eye. Works great, but the diopter lens fogs up when I press my eye in too far.

• The hoodman blocks the ambient light sensor, but the LCD brightness appears to be 'perfect', day or night time.

• in bright sunlight it works remarkably well - this is (by far) the biggest viewfinder (3x) that you can imagine.

Cost and bulk aside, for all of you that need/want/desire the EVF, this is something that I would recommend. However, it is not as compact as HOD's solution.

It really does blow me away.

Note - if you just get the hoodman, at 1x magnification, it is just a hood with a diopter. but with the 3x adapter it is just mindblowingly easy to work the LCD - there is so much detail in the LCD.

Can't upload any more pictures this month, will post pics later.

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: Hoodman - with 3x adapter - WOW !! Solves EVF wishes?
In reply to blue_skies, Jun 9, 2011

nice to hear.

the hoodman is 3:2 aspect ratio, so how does it fit on the 16:9 screen? does it cut the border pixels?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
anaksatawo
Contributing MemberPosts: 657
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Jun 9, 2011

great info sir. how about a flickr link?

blue_skies
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Jun 9, 2011

Barely, the hoodman goes almost edge to edge horizontally, vertically it is too high. That's why I cut horizontal slits inside the hoodman's plastic to fit the JJC adapter. It makes for a perfect vertical edge aligned fit (vertical edges line up, abutting at either side). The horizontal edges have a gap (I should put tape here I guess), but the NEX body covers them up. Vertically it is no taller than the NEX itself.

jazzroy1972 wrote:

nice to hear.

the hoodman is 3:2 aspect ratio, so how does it fit on the 16:9 screen? does it cut the border pixels?

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
krisjtan
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to anaksatawo, Jun 9, 2011

picture maybe??? thanks

blue_skies
Like?
In reply to krisjtan, Jun 12, 2011

krisjtan wrote:

picture maybe??? thanks

Here you go:

• After superglue,before electrical tape

- It fits snug enough to lift up camera + SEL18200 (before electrical tape)

• After electrical tape

blue_skies
Like?
Re: LLC adapter
In reply to blue_skies, Jun 13, 2011

The LLC adapter is a perfect fit, the Hoodman is slightly narrower, but it cuts by only a few pixels at the sides.

I used the frame of this adapter to mount the Hoodman on.

P.S. last time that I used this particular LLC adapter, the wind blew out the side piece - it just snapped off! (I ordered new ones).

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Question...
In reply to blue_skies, Jun 13, 2011

Why do people buy a small camera, only to hang large items (big zoom lens, hoodman loupe) off of it? In the end, would not a DSLR prove to be a more effective tool?

I know... to each their own, but I just do not get the logic.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: Question...
In reply to GodSpeaks, Jun 13, 2011

GodSpeaks wrote:

Why do people buy a small camera, only to hang large items (big zoom lens, hoodman loupe) off of it? In the end, would not a DSLR prove to be a more effective tool?

I would agree if the attachment was permanent - but it's not.

I know... to each their own, but I just do not get the logic.

You can add things to a NEX to give it a "viewfinder" when needed but you can't take things off a SLR to make it smaller when you need only the LCD.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads