what makes a professional camera to concert security?

Started Jun 9, 2011 | Discussions
7ape
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
what makes a professional camera to concert security?
Jun 9, 2011

Hi there , just a quick question, I'm off to a festival on Saturday, and was thinking about taking my gf1 and 20mm lens just in case I see something interesting. The promoters have a notice up on the website saying cameras are OK but professional cameras are banned... How do they distinguish between them? My gf1 is taped up in gaffa tape and in one of those ebay fake leather camera case things... does that seem professional? I hope not!

In short will I get my camera in?

Thanks!

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
Re: what makes a professional camera to concert security?
In reply to 7ape, Jun 9, 2011

they usually allow small sized point and shoots not bridge cameras-- and also it depends on the person doing the checking... I brought a Nikon L100-- it was not allowed..but the Panny ZS3 was allowed..

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,330Gear list
Like?

I would say there is a good chance you'll get it in, although you may want to ditch the case before hand and take it in a more modest case or just in a non-photo bag.

They don't have lists of cameras and models - they just seem to operate on a rather vague size criterion - if it looks big, don't let it in. I think a GF1 + 20mm should be OK but you might not get a GF1 in with a 14-45 on it.

But wouldn't you be better with a compact that has a longer lens? With 40mm 35mm focal length equivalent you won't get decent shots of performers unless you are very close to the stage?

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
7ape
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jun 9, 2011

Hi Thanks for your reply, and yes you are quite right in this case I would be better off taking a camera with a zoom! To be honest I'm more interested in taking pictures of the crowds and the place than the bands, I'm going to a metal festival and I've never experienced one before. Ideally a compact would be the best choice anyway, but unfortunately I don't have one! I curse myself for thinking the gf1 would be enough and selling my lx2!

7ape
Like?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Jun 9, 2011

thanks for the tip.. maybe i'll just borrow a point and shoot from a friend to be sure. Don't want to come all the way home again!

Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?

I've used the GF1 and 20mm prime with no issue at the O2 Islington Academy in London. If you get close to the stage, the results can be very good (esp black and white at higher ISO). Security more bothered by larger cameras with bigger lenses.

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +8 more
Marco Cinnirella
Like?

I honestly wouldn't take an expensive camera to a metal festival. The way fans jump around and push and shove would mean I would be constantly worrying about my kit getting dropped and trashed as people trampled on it. Maybe in an arena in the stands would be different, but down on the 'floor' at a festival - I personally wouldn't risk anything more than a point and shoot. At the end of the day I'd rather be enjoying the music and the event rather than worrying about getting kit confiscated or wrecked. But that's just my 2 cents.

I'm going to see Maiden at the London 02 Arena in August - I have been wondering about taking my GF1 and 20mm but to be honest I think I'll just soak up the atmosphere and take a compact that I know 100% will be accepted in by security.

p.s. - I'm not stsreotyping metal fetsivals but speaking from personal experience ! I nearly got crushed and trampled on a few times at various gigs - most recently at a chili peppers gig in London's Hyde Park.

7ape wrote:

Hi Thanks for your reply, and yes you are quite right in this case I would be better off taking a camera with a zoom! To be honest I'm more interested in taking pictures of the crowds and the place than the bands, I'm going to a metal festival and I've never experienced one before. Ideally a compact would be the best choice anyway, but unfortunately I don't have one! I curse myself for thinking the gf1 would be enough and selling my lx2!

mattmtl
Contributing MemberPosts: 968
Like?

I think it really depends on the festival, but IMHO most would allow a GF1.

At this point there is no sense trying to stop photography at a festival, and it's a very challenging environment for good photography, so I doubt they'll try very hard to stop anyone but obvious unauthorized pros.

And with thousands of people streaming through the gates, security will likely be more concerned with whether you have a bottle of vodka than a borderline "pro" camera in your bag.

If you have doubts you should e-mail the organizers, but I'd be surprised if even a consumer-grade SLR with a long zoom would be banned by most festivals these days.

7ape
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jun 9, 2011

It's maiden I'm going to see!! They are playing with korn and the misfits and a bunch of others at the sonisphere festival in prague on Saturday! I was a maiden fan when I was 11 and then kind of went a bit more electronic so this will definitely be an experience!!

I think I have to agree with you here I'll either grab myself a very cheap and cheerful compact or borrow something battered off a friend, pocketability and disposability are the key words here I guess and if I do get into the fray, I probably don't want to be really bothered about my pride and joy (lens more than camera) getting trampled in the dust!

thanks for your opinion!!

7ape
Like?
In reply to Jon Schick, Jun 9, 2011

Thanks for you message, I think you are definitely right about good results with the 20mm when close, but I dunno how close I'll actually get haha! Maybe I'll just take a point and shoot on the off chance!

7ape
Like?
In reply to mattmtl, Jun 9, 2011

Thanks, I did mail them and they responded with the 'no professional cameras line' It's quite usual to be so vague here in the Czech republic! I think you are probably right, and definitely right about taking 'good' photos. I was once allowed in the photo pit at a festival with my old e420 and various lenses and was utterly disappointed with the shots (probably more down to inexperience at the time, mind you!).

I Think you are probably right about the gf1 but I dunno... maybe as I would probably just get snaps anyway why not take a snapshot camera and not bother messing around with RAWS and gigs of information! :))

Marco Cinnirella
Like?

Well post some pics of Maiden on dpreview or Flikr won't you and PM me the link !

Up the Irons !

7ape wrote:

It's maiden I'm going to see!! They are playing with korn and the misfits and a bunch of others at the sonisphere festival in prague on Saturday! I was a maiden fan when I was 11 and then kind of went a bit more electronic so this will definitely be an experience!!

I think I have to agree with you here I'll either grab myself a very cheap and cheerful compact or borrow something battered off a friend, pocketability and disposability are the key words here I guess and if I do get into the fray, I probably don't want to be really bothered about my pride and joy (lens more than camera) getting trampled in the dust!

thanks for your opinion!!

7ape
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jun 10, 2011

if I get close enough I surely will!!

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,673Gear list
Like?
What I did recently
In reply to 7ape, Jun 10, 2011

I put the smallest, cheapest lens I own on my E-P1. I think it was my Fujian 35mm c-mount toy lens. Then I packed my bigger, better lens in a separate bag. Wouldn't you know, they checked the bag with the lens and didn't check the camera bag... But I don't think they saw the lens or if they did they didn't recognize it as a lens.

Once inside I switched lenses.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
kaizr
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?

I know someone who took a D90 plus zoom lens into Download Festival 2 years ago without question if that helps.

grapher
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?
Coloured camera = no pro!

That is the advantage of a blue, red or white camera. Security smiles at you, because your camera is not pro-black

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads