Some new SD1 samples!!!

Started Jun 9, 2011 | Discussions
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
Some new SD1 samples!!!
Jun 9, 2011
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
JefDeC
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
Re: Some new SD1 samples!!!
In reply to brittonx, Jun 9, 2011

I think these will create even more comments.

Best regards ... jef

JefDeC's gear list:JefDeC's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brittonx
Like?
In reply to JefDeC, Jun 9, 2011

There are some amazing colors and depth on a few of these.
--
--Britton
http://photo.brittonrobbins.com/

Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
JefDeC
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?

Yes, but also green and magenta traces on ISO200 - in the sky and in the shadow parts.

It is also very clear that the camera is lens limited, this is not that unexpected but in one sense it is just a shift of 'problem' from sensor limited tot lens limited.

Still, very nice to see more examples and with a great variety of lenses.

If the price had remained on the original indication the camera would have been a big hit.

jef

JefDeC's gear list:JefDeC's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,681
Like?

The overall IQ is very poor. Nothing seems sharp, they all look like they've been uprezzed from a smaller file size. The only one that looks decent is the close up of the rock taken with the 70mm macro. This is certainly not the quality I'd expect based on the amount of praise heaped on the SD1 from Carl and others who've seen the actual SD1 raw files. Makes me wonder what's going on.

nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
He has lots of experience,

"91 years as an independant photographer" it says in his bio !

Even I might be half decent after that length of time

Nick

worldcup1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 967
Like?
Re: He has lots of experience,
In reply to nick_webster, Jun 9, 2011

nick_webster wrote:

"91 years as an independant photographer" it says in his bio !

Even I might be half decent after that length of time

PRICELESS....thanks for the laugh....

Nick

-- hide signature --

I could be a much better photographer if i was out there taking pictures, instead of talking here at dpreview....

Michael McMurrough
Senior MemberPosts: 1,104
Like?

My impressions were mixed. On the one hand some images did have the Foveon pixel level sharpness... at least towards the centers. And the color seemed very sd14\15 like, which is not a bad thing. But since I have only every owned an SD9, I have to compare them to that. And in that regard I found the color rendition somewhat less than exciting. (SD9 had some strange color, to be sure, but it was rich and quite engaging!)

The abundant CA is probably largely correctable with careful post, but the sensor really does seem to demand more from the lenses than they were able to deliver. At least in this batch of samples. Now, that said...

The files are huge, and where sharp they are incredibly detailed. They will no doubt create some awesome prints. But from what I'm seeing so far they are not for me. Even had the cam been released at the supposed price point I would still be looking elsewhere.

Digital Coast Image
Contributing MemberPosts: 783
Like?
Nice find

Makes me want the camera all the more.

If it gets repriced under $3K.... I'm in.

-- hide signature --

Michael James - http://www.digitalcoastimage.com - Destin, FL U.S.A.

worldcup1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 967
Like?
Its just me or...

some parts of the sky have some weird pattern?...
--

I could be a much better photographer if i was out there taking pictures, instead of talking here at dpreview....

brittonx
Like?

JefDeC wrote:

Yes, but also green and magenta traces on ISO200 - in the sky and in the shadow parts.

It is also very clear that the camera is lens limited, this is not that unexpected but in one sense it is just a shift of 'problem' from sensor limited tot lens limited.

Still, very nice to see more examples and with a great variety of lenses.

If the price had remained on the original indication the camera would have been a big hit.

You may want to look into calibrating your monitor. I pulled the images and looked at the RGB values in the skies and there is no magenta cast whatsoever. In the shadow areas of #19 there is some faint green & magenta in the shadow area of the hill.
--
--Britton
http://photo.brittonrobbins.com/

nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
I thought that as well,
In reply to worldcup1982, Jun 9, 2011

but since I'm looking at them on a cheap monitor at work I couldn't be sure.

Nick

BuckieJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?

I dunno. They have some strange quality to them that I can't quite put into words. They seem sharp, but not quite pixel-level sharp yet not exactly "sharpening"-sharp either, there's some sort of a mush that's hard to describe. Compare to his DP2 images which are sharp, SD1's feel somewhat odd. It may very well be the lens that produces this. But definitely better than the official ones. So I dunno. Somebody who's buying it must slap some bellows and a good lens on it to test out the true potential of the sensor.

maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
Same impression here.
In reply to BuckieJoe, Jun 9, 2011

On pixel level, it's not quite as scrip as the DP1, but definitely sharper than Bayer. Perhaps the commonly held approximation of 1 Foveron ≈ 2 Bayer may no longer hold true.

In any case, I want it for what it's capable of but at under U$3000. Otherwise waiting for Sony's new sensor.

Tiffles
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,944Gear list
Like?
not pixel-sharp

looks like most lenses aren't up for the job to feed the sensor appropiately.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollivr/
http://seen.by.spiegel.de/ollivr-1

Tiffles's gear list:Tiffles's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Kodak DCS Pro 14n Nikon D700 Sigma SD10 +4 more
nedelcho
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
I'm really disapointed...
In reply to BuckieJoe, Jun 9, 2011

The magic of foveon is gone, I can't see it in these samples. They are soft with crude sharpening and halos. The sky in some of the samples is very noisy and has some traces of banding in it. There is also green-magenta blotches in the shadows in some of the pictures and detail there is mush, maybe some noise reduction does this. I can't see anything that 5D Mark II with good lens can't do. This makes the price of SD1 more ridiculous.
--
My gallery:
http://4coolpics.com/author_pics.php?aut=21355

katate
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: not pixel-sharp
In reply to Tiffles, Jun 9, 2011

50mm, 70mm macro, and 85mm look great, especially, 70mm is the best. All zoom lenses are less than the estimated maximum quality, but it's enough for me because they are zooms.

otherspb
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
It's bayer quality...
petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
Re: Exactly
In reply to worldcup1982, Jun 9, 2011

visible tracks on the sky, probably residue from noise reduction, noise splashes now more kind of pattern tracks - simply unacceptable!
Color - simply poor
Tonal range - looks like poor Bayer sensor camera

Resolution - good, but with smooth areas affected with noise pattern even at ISO 200 useless
I definitely prefer SD14(15) sensor character.

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,396
Like?
Oh Dear! :-(

If those are meant to demonstrate the high quality from the new SD1 - they have failed miserably. I respect LM's judgement on how he found the SD1 image files when printing, so seeing such as these examples demonstrates that it will be the photographer AND the choice of lenses that will determine whether the SD1 gets what should be a fair assessment.

These samples are, to my mind, pretty awful to be honest. They don't even come anywhere near what I have been producing with the SD9 and SD14 for a number of years (with the original FF film camera lenses, i.e. 15-30EX and 24-70EX) and I am sure the SD1 will be capable of far better results "in the right hands" and as said - WITH the right lenses too.

I agree also (as mentioned in a couple of replies) the strange sky-area streaking in the first shot with the barbed wire is hardly going to produce good comments.

-- hide signature --

Zone8
3 Quotes by Ansel Adams:

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into." "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads