sdhc vs sdxc

Started Jun 8, 2011 | Discussions
halfmonkey
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
sdhc vs sdxc
Jun 8, 2011

I'm in the market possibly for a new Canon S95 as I've read some great reviews on this camera. My previous camera is a Canon SD550 and that's a great camera but the new cameras have some features that I really like and I believe will also help my wife take better pictures without having to mess with any of the manual settings. I particularly like the face detection and image stabilizer feature as I think these will definitely help my wife with taking automatic pictures.

In any case, one of the new things about the camera that I need some help with is the memory card type. The camera accepts sdhc and sdxc cards. Can somebody explain to me the difference between the two and why I would choose one card over another? Maybe the pros and cons of each card would be helpful. Thanks for your help.

halfmonkey's gear list:halfmonkey's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Intio
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Re: sdhc vs sdxc
In reply to halfmonkey, Jun 8, 2011

Well the XC stands for eXtended Capacity, so the SDXC cards have storage above 32GB, which is the upper limit for SDHC.

Although the data transfer protocol is slightly different, you shouldn't have any compatibility issues at all - provided the camera you have is known to accept SDXC. (The Canon S95 does)

They aren't so much differnt types of card, just different maximum capacities.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

In my opinion, it's better to have a few cards of lower capacity, rather than one or two cards with a huge capacity, in case of failure. Memory cards are pretty reliable, but they do fail sometimes, and it's better not to have all your chicks in one basket. Obviously, higher capacity cards are needed for video recording, but I doubt that you'll be making 2 hour videos on an S95. Most important is to buy high quality cards - class 6 or better.

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Jun 8, 2011

I agree with Caileen that it is better to have a number of smaller capacity cards than one very large capacity card.

Some other points:

• A very large capacity card can store around 10,000 JPEGs but that is probably about 1-2 years shooting and becomes very unwieldy to manage. I much prefer a number of cards with capacity for, say, 500 images each.

• There aren't many SDXC cards available at the moment and, in the UK at least, the cost per GB seems to be at least double that of SDHC cards.

• If you are going to want to plug the SD card into a card reader, an iPad or a TV, the chances are that the card reader/iPad/TV won't be SDXC compatible (it may not even be SDHC compatible).

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Intio
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Jun 8, 2011

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

In my opinion, it's better to have a few cards of lower capacity, rather than one or two cards with a huge capacity, in case of failure. Memory cards are pretty reliable, but they do fail sometimes, and it's better not to have all your chicks in one basket. Obviously, higher capacity cards are needed for video recording, but I doubt that you'll be making 2 hour videos on an S95. Most important is to buy high quality cards - class 6 or better.

Agree with everything above, and should have included it in my post.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

SDXC is a very high capacity format, 32 Gb and up.

To put this in perspective a 4 Gb SD card can hold about 280 RAW images and about 1500 high quality JPEGs ( on an S95 ). Those figures will vary depending on the type of image and ISO, but they're ballpark numbers.

The SDXC cards are really intended for the new market in high quality video and at this time that's basically for serious video shooters, not casual use.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,938
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Jun 9, 2011

sjgcit wrote:

To put this in perspective a 4 Gb SD card can hold about 280 RAW images and about 1500 high quality JPEGs ( on an S95 ).

Which you couldn't count on reading anywhere.

The SD standard only goes up to 2 GB. For 4 GB, you'd want a SDHC card.

TheVorlon
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, 1 month ago

Tom_N wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

To put this in perspective a 4 Gb SD card can hold about 280 RAW images and about 1500 high quality JPEGs ( on an S95 ).

Which you couldn't count on reading anywhere.

The SD standard only goes up to 2 GB. For 4 GB, you'd want a SDHC card.

Version 1.01 let an SDSC card use a 4-bit field to indicate 1,024 or 2,048 bytes per block instead. Doing so enabled cards with 2 GB and 4 GB capacity, such as the Transcend 4 GB SD card and the Memorette 4 GB SD card.

doodlehobby
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
In reply to TheVorlon, 1 month ago

Actually there's more to SDXC cards than just capacity. They do have better performance and greater BUS speeds. SDHC can get around 25MB/s max while SDXC can easily push past that. Also SDXC cards use exFAT format and is a better improved file system over FAT32.

They also have a different speed class (UHS).

I shoot in both RAW and JPEG. It helps to have a nice capacity card and I currently have a 64GB SDXC card with a 8GB SD and 4GB SD for backup. Also have a MS Surface Pro 2, USB 3.0 card reader for transfers and backup to an external 2.5" 500GB HDD. File transfers are quick since the SDXC can transfer between 70-80MB/s. SDHC doesn't even come close to that.

doodlehobby's gear list:doodlehobby's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads