Kazuto Yamaki continues to be a twit on twitter

Started Jun 7, 2011 | Discussions
zzapamiga
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
Kazuto Yamaki continues to be a twit on twitter
Jun 7, 2011

After the initial shock and disappointment in the price of the Sigma SD1 I now hope that the SD1 is a monumental failure to send a message to both Sigma and other camera companies about releasing overinflated product prices. I used to think the Nikon D3X and Canon 1Ds III were excessively overpriced but the Sigma SD1 sets new heights in inflated prices. Kazuto Yamaki continues to justify the price on twitter.

http://twitter.com/# ! KazutoYamaki

1)   EdwardMilesStapleton - Does not matter if SD1 is "worth the price". We (Sigma fans) simply CANNOT afford to buy it.

Kazuto Yamaki - Sorry about that. We continuously strive to develop the best quality camera with more affordable price in the future.

2)   Daoud Ghaussy - we keep wondering if there is an extra 0 in the SD1 price, Reality check necessary.

Kazuto Yamaki - The price range is correct. We will continuously strive to develop the best quality camera with more affordable price.

3)   Olivier Eberhard - SPP 5.0 in June ... great news !!! ... but a lot of SD-users still wonder why SD1-product-picture was taken with Phase One 45+

Kazuto Yamaki - Simply because it's included in the photographer's regular work flow. Hope he replaces it to SD1 once it's released.

Wabibito - that's crazy. #SD1 has no tethering ability, no rebates or pro repair service! Never can replace #Phase One.

Soeisintl
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Kazuto Yamaki continues to be a twit on twitter
In reply to zzapamiga, Jun 7, 2011

That's ugly. They don't use their own products or own photographers for their ads. I really don't know if I hould be understanding or confused even more.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to Soeisintl, Jun 7, 2011

Probably the photographer need live view and tethered shooting snapping the shot from his laptop to get the shot.

Soeisintl wrote:

That's ugly. They don't use their own products or own photographers for their ads. I really don't know if I hould be understanding or confused even more.

-- hide signature --
 Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

Nothing like twittering your business away.....
Boris
--

http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,671Gear list
Like?
What do you expect him to say?

James Fedley wrote:

Kazuto Yamaki continues to justify the price on twitter.

Of course he is. What else would you expect him to say? "No, the camera is not worth the current price. Please refrain from buying one so we can teach those bourgeois bean counters who insist that we not lose money on each sale a lesson on what photographers should have."

As for shooting the product photo, imagine you are a product photographer. Your job is to produce images suitable for publication several months ahead of release to allow for layout, proofing, and printing time. And then the client says, no you can't use your usual equipment, but we have this camera you've never used before where the firmware and software are not quite finished yet....

So if he can't tell you what you want to hear, is he better off just saying nothing?

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
BobNL
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,848Gear list
Like?
Very good answer! (nt)
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Jun 7, 2011
-- hide signature --

Bob van Ooik
V-studio
----------------------------------------------
http://vstudio-magazine.de/
http://www.x3magazine.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobnl/

BobNL's gear list:BobNL's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D700 Sigma SD14 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sigma SD1
ChromeLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507
Like?
Re: What do you expect him to say?

He could be inventive and offer a lease like Chevy does for the Volt. Don't have 40k for the Volt? Drive one for 350 a month. Or how about getting a number of bodies and lenses to Samys and B&H for their rental departments? I could think of lots of creative ways Sigma could go to, if not turn this around, at least not make it any worse.

Erik Magnuson wrote:

James Fedley wrote:

Kazuto Yamaki continues to justify the price on twitter.

Of course he is. What else would you expect him to say? "No, the camera is not worth the current price. Please refrain from buying one so we can teach those bourgeois bean counters who insist that we not lose money on each sale a lesson on what photographers should have."

As for shooting the product photo, imagine you are a product photographer. Your job is to produce images suitable for publication several months ahead of release to allow for layout, proofing, and printing time. And then the client says, no you can't use your usual equipment, but we have this camera you've never used before where the firmware and software are not quite finished yet....

So if he can't tell you what you want to hear, is he better off just saying nothing?

-- hide signature --

Erik

petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
Re: Hello Jagshemash!

Hello,
I´m from Kazachstan and here is translation into my language:
Sigma = outdated
SD = never finished
1 = 1 tenge(KZT) equal something between 6900-9700 USD
Kazuto = one era
Yamaki = late

Cheers
Borat Sagdijev

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,671Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChromeLight, Jun 7, 2011

ChromeLight wrote:

He could be inventive and offer a lease like Chevy does for the Volt.

Most retailers offer financing if you want to buy on time. Unlike GM, Sigma does not happen to own part of a massive finance company.

Or how about getting a number of bodies and lenses to Samys and B&H for their rental departments? I could think of lots of creative ways Sigma could go to, if not turn this around, at least not make it any worse.

1. If Sigma has such a plan, they would not announce it in a casual tweet.

1. This would have to be done on a country by country basis, so it would come from Sigma USA or Sigma Germany or whatever tweet and not from the COO.

At this point, I can think of only two things he could say that would make anyone happy:

1. tell us why the SD1 could not be brought in for the initial target price segment. But pricing information is almost always a trade secret and very, very few companies are that candid.

1. announce a follow-on camera that's not an SD1. That would tell people not to wait for an SD1 price drop and given fans a new hope that a more affordable camera is in the works.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
Ed_S
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,059
Like?

Erik,

A reasonable inference, I think.

Regards,
--
Ed_S

http://www.pbase.com/ecsquires

ChromeLight
Like?

They don't need to be part of a large finance company.

Erik Magnuson wrote:

ChromeLight wrote:

He could be inventive and offer a lease like Chevy does for the Volt.

Most retailers offer financing if you want to buy on time. Unlike GM, Sigma does not happen to own part of a massive finance company.

Or how about getting a number of bodies and lenses to Samys and B&H for their rental departments? I could think of lots of creative ways Sigma could go to, if not turn this around, at least not make it any worse.

1. If Sigma has such a plan, they would not announce it in a casual tweet.

1. This would have to be done on a country by country basis, so it would come from Sigma USA or Sigma Germany or whatever tweet and not from the COO.

At this point, I can think of only two things he could say that would make anyone happy:

1. tell us why the SD1 could not be brought in for the initial target price segment. But pricing information is almost always a trade secret and very, very few companies are that candid.

1. announce a follow-on camera that's not an SD1. That would tell people not to wait for an SD1 price drop and given fans a new hope that a more affordable camera is in the works.

-- hide signature --

Erik

ChromeLight
Like?

James,

Don't forget that about half of any developed economy is private. (At least that's the figure in the United States.) People forget that without shareholder accountability a company can be poorly run but stay in business for decades. That's why there is such a business in private equity.

BobNL
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,848Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChromeLight, Jun 7, 2011

ChromeLight wrote:

James,

Don't forget that about half of any developed economy is private. (At least that's the figure in the United States.) People forget that without shareholder accountability a company can be poorly run but stay in business for decades. That's why there is such a business in private equity.

If they stay in business for decades that means they are still doing something right, right?
--
Bob van Ooik
V-studio
----------------------------------------------
http://vstudio-magazine.de/
http://www.x3magazine.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobnl/

BobNL's gear list:BobNL's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D700 Sigma SD14 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sigma SD1
sd40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356
Like?
In reply to BobNL, Jun 7, 2011

No--They could be running it for the ego trip, or playing at it. Until the money runs out.

FritsThomsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
Kazuto cannot tell the truth ..

Did anyone ever wonder why he didnt say anything about WHY the price suddently became so absurdly high??

He never said anything about technical difficulties , or small yiels at the chip-factory.

He just said something like ... " I am sorry , but this is out of my control ... "
What does that mean ?
Its means that its the old man ... Mishihiro who dictated the price !!

And Kazuto cannot and will not say that his dad is loosing it ......
--
Please visit my galleries at :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoicz/
or
http://www.naturephotos.dk/NaturePhotos_ejergalleri.php?menu=3&_Ejer=57

bluekite
Contributing MemberPosts: 510
Like?
Hello
In reply to FritsThomsen, Jun 7, 2011

Hello,

I believe the price will go down if not enough people purchase it.

In the meanwhile, enjoy your current camera.

I used to dream about owning the SD10 when I first heard of it. Then I got the SD14 and I didn't die not having the SD10.

I think we can speculate who is behind the price increase all we like, but that is immaterial, because in the end it is their family business.

N.
--
There is more happiness in giving than receiving.

jrdigitalart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968
Like?
Re: Hello
In reply to bluekite, Jun 8, 2011

bluekite wrote:

I think we can speculate who is behind the price increase all we like, but that is immaterial, because in the end it is their family business.

Now that my "inners" have settled down after causing me too much heartburn re the SD1 price uproar, I too see that as a private company, Sigma can do as they please.

So I have to respond by weighing up how I will move forward to overcome my SD14 issues. Not being in a position to justify the asking price for an SD1 means I will either have to sit on the fence, or look for other possible solutions. But move forward I will indeed.

-- hide signature --

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Cherish your privacy? Avoid (sp)iPhones.

Please visit my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart/

Alex 2011
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
In reply to zzapamiga, Jun 8, 2011

Your hopes for monumental failure may make you feel better, but I doubt that means we will see a next gen SD period, let alone a cheap one with the new sensor. It would more likely mean the end of the Foveon chip.

At the same time I am not one who says spend $10K to help out poor Sigma. Which leaves us where? Only time will tell... I do not have an immediate need to upgrade, so I can wait another year, and then see what I want to do.

maxotics
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?
This Sigma Forum is so YOUTHFUL!
In reply to Alex 2011, Jun 8, 2011

There's a saying in social work, "expectations lead to resentments". Funny how Sigma users believe a company that makes such limited cameras would one day hit some super home run. Something HAD to go wrong. Right?

Sigma is hardly alone.

I bought an Olympus camera because they said their SDK could do this and that (which I wanted for my robotics). Well, they lied. Then they were hard to get a hold of. All the same Sigma support complaints I read here.

And then Canon. This guy makes this awesome tethered solution for Powershot cameras (PSRemote) and then Canon changes their firmware so that it no longer works (after G9). Does Canon provide their own solution? No.

What about Panasonic putting ridiculous zooms on their P&S, leading to lots of bad photos

I could go on and on.

I doubt the most dysfunctioal company in the world would want to sell any DSLR for $7,000. They have problems. Having been in business for almost 30 years I feel for them. Developing new products is HARD! They're trying to do something new. We have to keep that in mind. It's not like they're hoarding silver or anything.

Forgotting the price, if they succeed, YOU PAID FOR IT. Your support of their other cameras allowed them to create a technology that will enrich our lives. Remember what good can come out of this. Eventually, the price of everything is forgotten.

All that aside!

Screw you Sigma

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,390
Like?
Someone's got time to waste trawling though old messages!
In reply to zzapamiga, Oct 19, 2011
-- hide signature --

Zone8

Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads