XZ-1 - cheap rubbish with a big price

Started Jun 5, 2011 | Discussions
Andy Cam
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
XZ-1 - cheap rubbish with a big price
Jun 5, 2011

My new camera doesn't feature any kind of sealing to the sensor - which has dust & a hair on it after two weeks use. (I cleared this by popping up the flash and blowing down it - though had to wait some time whilst the inside of the lens demisted)
Sounds like I bought a cheap joke camera? No, the XZ-1.
A complete waste of a lot of money.

I have an Olympus trip which used to be my grandfathers.
My father also still uses his old Olympus.

After 25 yrs with Pentax & Nikon I bought the XZ-1 - only it won't be passed on to my children or grandparents. It won't even be passed on to ebay.
Simply, it's built so badly it won't last the year.

This is unacceptable. I want anyone considering buying an Olympus to know this is true 'Made in China', by people not paid enough to care, rubbish.

AVOID THE XZ-1!!!

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464
Like?
Re: XZ-1 - cheap rubbish with a big price
In reply to Andy Cam, Jun 5, 2011

I can understand your frustration. But then, it appears to be a rather unique case since up to now, nobody else complained about such an issue.

To have a hair and dust appear on the sensor might also have been a result of inadequate storing and carrying the camera?

I always carry the camera either in an extra cushioned bag within my jacket or aroun the next. Haven't had an issue with dust&dirt yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?

Andy, can you put up some photos from the dirty sensor so we know what to look for? Thanks!

meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +7 more
ijustloveshooting
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?

i had exactly same problem with my xz-1, there was a little piece of fabric stuck in the lens from the very beginning of usage, it came with it. i zoomed out and in for many times to move the fabric and finally it dropped somewhere else inside the camera but not on the sensor since i shot bright sky at f/8 to review photo and there's no sign of it...It still is there, inside the lens but can not be seen right now, and luckily it didn't fell on sensor... I used to think compact cams are weather, dust sealed...but i think i was wrong...

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
simkna
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to ijustloveshooting, Jun 5, 2011

My xz-1 has stripes across the image at three days old... I am inclined to agree.
Si

svuori
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?

Using gross exaggeration and sensational titles to get people to read your post is cheap too..

svuori's gear list:svuori's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +1 more
solarsteve
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to svuori, Jun 5, 2011

svuori wrote:

Using gross exaggeration and sensational titles to get people to read your post is cheap too..

Second!

meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?

Guess those G9's, G11's and G12's are made by people who don't care either.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=38195245

Looking at forums, there's posts about lint/dust/hair in the Sony R1, F828, V1, DSC-W1, Canon G1-G12, Nikon 5700, all most every brand of dSLR with lint in the OVF at some stage, people having to return multiple Fuji cameras to get a lint free one, etc, etc.

It is not a new phenomenon, or limited to the XZ-1. Not saying it's great, just not unique.

meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +7 more
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
You really think any modern technology is going to be passed to children ? Get real

A digital camera just like any modern digital technology is not going to be passed down to your children or grandchildren in 25 years

Do you really think they would even want a mass produced digital point and shoot camera ??

Thats like expecting someone to want my 7 year old flip phone or 500mhz Pentium 2 laptop.

Technology changes, things quickly become obsolete. It makes zero sense to produce a product with a short tech lifespan to be able to last for 25 years because that just raises the cost of a product that will have next to no value in just a few years time.

I and Thou
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?

!!! Gosh Darn It, my D700 also has dust and hairs !!! So far, no problems with xz-1.
--
http://www.patricklovephotography.com

GarySFBCN
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: You really think any modern technology is going to be passed to children ? Get re
In reply to millsart, Jun 5, 2011

millsart wrote:

A digital camera just like any modern digital technology is not going to be passed down to your children or grandchildren in 25 years

Do you really think they would even want a mass produced digital point and shoot camera ??

Thats like expecting someone to want my 7 year old flip phone or 500mhz Pentium 2 laptop.

Technology changes, things quickly become obsolete. It makes zero sense to produce a product with a short tech lifespan to be able to last for 25 years because that just raises the cost of a product that will have next to no value in just a few years time.
--

Damn it all. And here I was keeping my 8-track tape player for my nephew. My IBM-XT too,.

Peter Pans
Contributing MemberPosts: 980
Like?
Re: You really think any modern technology is going to be passed to children ? Get re
In reply to GarySFBCN, Jun 5, 2011

GarySFBCN wrote:

millsart wrote:

--

Damn it all. And here I was keeping my 8-track tape player for my nephew. My IBM-XT too,.

Then I will keep my prototype square wheel for my lucky descendants

Andy Cam
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
In reply to Peter Pans, Jun 8, 2011

To those who knocked my comment about longevity, I refer to durability and not obsoletion. But hey, plenty of consumer morons who want the latest toy rather than a photographers tool, so I guess my complaint is insignificant in comp

To the guy who commented my headline was cheap. Well.....nothing to add.

cxsparc
Like?
In reply to Andy Cam, Jun 8, 2011

Nobody "knocked" your comment on longevity. You bashed the camera in total (cheap rubbish).

Most posters here tried to help you assess your experience as bad luck and put it into perspective.

However, since those who do not agree with you and simply enjoy the photographic qualities of the XZ1 are described by you as morons, it doesn't look like it is very easy for you to accept such well-meant feedback.

joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andy Cam, Jun 8, 2011

Had it not occur to you to just exchange the camera or file a claim thru warranty? Dust in sensor in a non-interchangeable lens is certainly covered under warranty.

My Fuji F30 also collected dust on sensor after years of use. I actually paid (out of warranty) to have it cleaned.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
ennemkay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
In reply to joe6pack, Jun 8, 2011

hmm that makes me wonder what other brands/models are made in china.

ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony RX100
Homl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to ennemkay, Jun 9, 2011

I would say at least 90% of the P&S are made in China.
Now a days only the very top models are made in Japan.

Stuff made in China does not mean low quality. Just like everywhere else, if you want quality, you have to pay more for it. There are lots of very fine quality products made in China. I think the XZ-1 is mighty fine, and I own lots of cameras, some many times more expensive than the XZ-1. The quality and workmanship of the XZ-1 is on par with Japan made cameras.

ennemkay wrote:

hmm that makes me wonder what other brands/models are made in china.

Homl's gear list:Homl's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS 7D
RMW487
Contributing MemberPosts: 907Gear list
Like?
In reply to Homl, Jun 9, 2011

I purchased a ZX1 and when I compared the build quality, usability, and image rendering against my other p/s I was disappointed, so it was returned. My expectations were high for this class of camera but it just did not hit the spot.
RMW487.

RMW487's gear list:RMW487's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Nikon D40 Nikon D300
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to cxsparc, Jun 9, 2011

How do you know "nobody"? Because you think this forum is the entire world?

I fail to see a reality where only ONE PERSON, in the entire world of people who bought this camera, have problems with dust getting inside.

cxsparc wrote:

I can understand your frustration. But then, it appears to be a rather unique case since up to now, nobody else complained about such an issue.

To have a hair and dust appear on the sensor might also have been a result of inadequate storing and carrying the camera?

I always carry the camera either in an extra cushioned bag within my jacket or aroun the next. Haven't had an issue with dust&dirt yet.

cxsparc
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Jun 9, 2011

@snake: I am not sure whether your comment was aimed at me. Still, of course there is no statistic on XZ1 cameras with dust inside. But such a forum as this and other forums with special threads for XZ1 owners give a good indication on performance as well as quality of a camera.

For example, it is rather easy to find threads on the OOC JPG quality in low contrast motives. So many have experienced this behaviour.

The complaint raised in this thread of dust/debris inside the cam in contrast seems to be rare in occurence. So instead of seeing this as general quality (or the lack thereof -)) ) of this cam I personally regard it as something almost all cams experience in low percentages. In addition, the owner had it after two weeks of use and while I do not know how he/she handled the cam, the probability of responsibility of the owner is non-zero.

'nuff said.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads