Olympus E-620 Flash Recommendation!!

Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions
glickfield
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-620 Flash Recommendation!!
Jun 3, 2011

I just purchased an Olympus E-620 kit as a light weight back-up camera.

I wondered if anyone can suggest an inexpensive flash [$50-$100] that works well with the camera. Basically it will just be used for fun to add a little extra light.

I've seen some by Robikon, Vivitar, and the YN460.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

glickfield's gear list:glickfield's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 100D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-620 Flash Recommendation!!
In reply to glickfield, Jun 3, 2011

Gidday GF

Very few (none?) modern flashes come that cheap, mate.

You may well be better served by buying some very basic off-camera flash gear, including some radio receiver/triggers and a radio transmitter for your camera. Blazzeo work fine with Olympus cameras.

A basic shoot-through and reflector umbrella set with a couple of double sided ground reflectors and some cheapy flash units will cost you in total less than a decent flash for a digital camera.

Here are some suggestions to get you started:

A set of these:

http://www.linkdelight.com/T5M-Blazzeo-Flash-Hot-Shoe-Trigger-+-4x-Receiver-For-Canon-Nikon.html (AUD$42)

We have these at the photo club, and work perfectly with Olympus cameras

I would be inclined to get a bounce and shoot through umbrella as well.

http://www.linkdelight.com/D5B-Flash-Holder-Light-Stand-Mount-+-SilverBlack-Umbrella.html (AUD $17.89)

and:

http://www.linkdelight.com/D6B-Flash-Holder-Light-Stand-Mount+Translucent-Umbrella.html (AUD $15.79)

Plus two or three of these support stands, with either set:

http://www.linkdelight.com/T9M-Hot-Shoe-Camera-Flash-Stand-for-Canon-Nikon-Sigma-Speedlite.html (AUD $2.09 each).

They also have a Canon compatible flash (who cares what brand, it's for a radio trigger set! Have to ask them if it's compatible with their own radio receivers) here:

http://www.linkdelight.com/E1J-Flash-Speedlite-Light-MK930-For-Canon-500D-450D-1000D-XS.html

Just a few thoughts, FWIW.

While I have the FL-36R, I am going to order some of this gear in the very near future for the photography I do for the CEOoDO of her art work and ceramics.

You might also consider getting yourself a good book on photographic lighting such as " Light: Science and Magic ". I have this. Very informative.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --

The Camera doth not make the Man (or Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...

Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/main.php

Bird Control Officers on active service.

Member of UK (and abroad) Photo Safari Group

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scb
scb
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
In reply to John King, Jun 3, 2011

If you want TTL capability, look for a good used flash by Olympus or Metz. I just picked up a "like new" Olympus FL-36 for $110 and it really does seem to work very nicely with my E-520. I had a Vivitar 383 which sells for around $120 new and while it worked fairly well and was TTL, it was cheaply made and didn't work as well as the FL-36. The Fl-36 gets criticized for its slower recycle time, but from what I've experienced so far, it's not a problem for me. The slightly smaller size of the Fl-36 or 36R will work nicely with the smaller size of the 620 body.

To buy new for under $100, you'll have to forfeit TTL capability but there are quite a few cheapies available. If you look on E-bay, you can look at a lot of them and compare features.

Check out http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html for a lot of valuable information gathered by Michael Meissner. He is always so helpful with information on flash photography with 4/3 cameras.

And, I have a Sunpak 383 (non TTL) that is a great flash unit. Unfortunately, it's no longer available, but if you can find one used, the quality is much better than many others. There is also a newer model Metz 36 AF unit ( http://www.amazon.com/Metz-MZ-36342-Digital-Panasonic/dp/B002FL4UK8 ) that is TTL, but does not have a swivel head. I did read one review indicating that it is not up to the usual quality of Metz, but I was giving it serious consideration.

Personally, after seeing the quality of the Vivitar 383 compared to the Olympus fl-36, I'd take my time and buy one good quality flash to start with (Olympus or Metz) that has TTL capability....probably be cheaper in the long run. But...just my opinion.

Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?

For the purposes you have outlined, something like the Sunpak Auto 383 should be sufficient if you can find one (secondhand) - but you need to be happy to take some manual control of it as you'll not get TTL metering etc.

I have the Metax Mecablitz 44 AF1 which works well on both my E-1 and a Panasonic GH2 - so the handling on a small body like the E-620 should be fine. It's a bit more than your price bracket though - but if you think you'd use it regularly, I'd recommend it as a nicely made and well specified unit.

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +6 more
unileeds
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

I have had both the Vivitar DF 283 and 383 TTL flashes. I have to say, people are right about quality. I had the 283 for 1 day, it died, sent it back and theyr eplaced it with a 383 free of charge. That baby worked a treat. I would say worth every penny. I have used the Fl 36 and in terms of performance, I would say the DF 383 was much better, comparable with the FL50. But that died (albiet after extensive..extensive use) in 8 months. (I havea feeling it was teh re chargable batteries I was using). I have sent it back and vivitar have promised a new one!!

So i would say if you are in the US (im in the UK) try the vivitar DF383 froma place with a good returns policy. It surely is a cracking piece of kit. Betwee the Vivitar 283 and FL36, id go for the Olympus!! But the DF 383 is a different league!

glickfield
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to unileeds, Jun 3, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out all the info you all provided.
Thanks again!!

glickfield's gear list:glickfield's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 100D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
GeorgeH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?

Don't forget the Promaster TTL flashes. I use the 5750DX. It is powerful enough for my E600 and it recycles fairly fast. You can find the Promaster series cheap on eBay or online. I highly recommend them as they work with my E-300, E330, E520, and E600.

glickfield wrote:

I just purchased an Olympus E-620 kit as a light weight back-up camera.

I wondered if anyone can suggest an inexpensive flash [$50-$100] that works well with the camera. Basically it will just be used for fun to add a little extra light.

I've seen some by Robikon, Vivitar, and the YN460.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

GeorgeH's gear list:GeorgeH's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM +1 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,234Gear list
Like?
In reply to scb, Jun 3, 2011

scb wrote:

If you want TTL capability, look for a good used flash by Olympus or Metz. I just picked up a "like new" Olympus FL-36 for $110 and it really does seem to work very nicely with my E-520. I had a Vivitar 383 which sells for around $120 new and while it worked fairly well and was TTL, it was cheaply made and didn't work as well as the FL-36. The Fl-36 gets criticized for its slower recycle time, but from what I've experienced so far, it's not a problem for me. The slightly smaller size of the Fl-36 or 36R will work nicely with the smaller size of the 620 body.

To buy new for under $100, you'll have to forfeit TTL capability but there are quite a few cheapies available. If you look on E-bay, you can look at a lot of them and compare features.

Check out http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html for a lot of valuable information gathered by Michael Meissner. He is always so helpful with information on flash photography with 4/3 cameras.

Actually, you might want to look at:
http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash2.html

This contains a list of the flashes that I could find information about that are compatible with Olympus TTL support, including a few that are under $100.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,234Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeorgeH, Jun 3, 2011

GeorgeH wrote:

Don't forget the Promaster TTL flashes. I use the 5750DX. It is powerful enough for my E600 and it recycles fairly fast. You can find the Promaster series cheap on eBay or online. I highly recommend them as they work with my E-300, E330, E520, and E600.

Note, the Promaster 5750DX needs the flash diffuser that is part of the flash package if you want to shoot with lenses at focal length 14-17mm. If you always shoot at 18mm or longer, it isn't an issue.

Promaster a few years ago came about Olympus specific flashes (7200EDF, 7400EDF, 7500EDF) that are a bit wider.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
scb
scb
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
In reply to unileeds, Jun 3, 2011

unileeds wrote:

Betwee the Vivitar 283 and FL36, id go for the Olympus!! But the DF 383 is a different league!

From my perspective, I'm not sure I agree with this statement although I understand fully why you may feel so.

Having had the 383, and now the FL-36, I would point out that each has it's own positive and negative points. For all around use, the TTL capability is very handy when you want to capture certain things without having to worry about the flash setting... such as family gatherings, shots of kids, etc. The 383 certainly has more range and power, but you do have to manually set it, which is fine once you have used it quite a bit and can get the right setting fairly quickly. But, I really hated the foot (which is part of the reason mine took a nasty fall) and the build quality really is sub par....can't be compared to the Sunpak or Olympus. I find that the light control or exposure of the FL-36 is better than what I got from the 383 in TTL mode, and the controls of the FL-36 very user friendly as long as the menu has been set to allow control of the flash power even when in TTL mode. Being able to just turn the rotary control to gain or lessen the flash power is really simple.

Having started out with my first (and only, at this point) DSLR and having only a non-dedicated flash, and then seeing the advantage of one, I lean towards advising others to start with at least one dedicated flash, then get other flashes, non dedicated to save $$ for experimenting with multiple flash and off the camera flash photography.

And, I think that if you want more power than the FL-36, one would be better off looking for a good deal on a used Metz 48 or 50 rather than spending money on the Vivitar 383. But...just my opinion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads