Black Images with Nikon D3100

Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions
txcamerlady
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Black Images with Nikon D3100
Jun 3, 2011

I've had my Nikon D3100 since Feb. 2011 and have had really good results with it. I was outside in bright sunlight today taking pictures of our horses and was just snapping away and then the pictures started turning out solid black.. Through the viewfinder as well as looking at the LCD screen on the back. I could focus my subject through the viewfinder but when I took the actual picture there was nothing there.

I have removed the memory card, the batteries, the lens (cleaned the contacts) I'm unsure of why it did this. It has done this on 2 previous ocassions as well. It will be taking great pictures and then just stop. Other times its great and will take pictures forever.

Any ideas. I am a beginner and have purchased several books on this particular camera since it was my first big jump into digital photography, but nothing in the Nikon books talks about black photos.

Thank you
txcameralady

slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Black Images with Nikon D3100
In reply to txcamerlady, Jun 3, 2011

Review your settings... ISO, fStop, Shutter speed, Exposure Compensation.
Certain combinations can give BLACK PICS even on sunny days.

I would have expected accidental adjustment to give over exposed (white), but black is possible too.

If you are CERTAIN your settings should give a good or over exposed image on a bright day...(ISO 400,f8, 1/60, + - 0)

Then investigate mechanical

Maybe a lens is failing...change lenses. Often they stick open and give ove exposure, but a blade could be flopping / loose to fully stop down and cause under exposure(?)

Maybe the mirror isn't flipping to allow exposure on the sensor...? you can see in viewfinder, but image is always black. This is what I suspect most likely

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TAGParrot
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

What mode are you shooting in? You may have changed your camera settings so that you're simply not allowing enough light to take a photo. The view through the view finder would still look okay. (I don't know about Live View, because I never use it.) If you're shooting in Auto mode and still get black photos, it sounds like a camera malfunction.

txcamerlady
Like?
In reply to TAGParrot, Jun 3, 2011

Thank you both for your input. I'm not sure how I could have accidently adjusted anything. I was taking a shot, turned out great, another shot within seconds, great..a few more seconds another shot and nothing. I am shooting in all auto mode as I am still learning about everything this camera does. I ran into this problem about 3 hours ago, and my camera is still taking 'black' pics, nothing will show through the LCD screen. I've reset all of my settings back to original.

Thanks
txcameralady

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639
Like?

Lens cap?

Graystar
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,373
Like?

Send it back to Nikon. Call them or get on the website to get authorization.

txcamerlady
Like?
In reply to Graystar, Jun 3, 2011

Yes the lens cap was off.. as I stated in my original post that I was actively taking pics and then it just happened..Its done this twice since Feb when I received it but hasn't given me a lick of trouble any other time

I took the original Nikkor 18-55mm lens off and tried with my Nikkor 55-300mm zoom as well as my Tamron 90mm Macro and the LCD still won't show an image.

It does show the initial lens pic, with my f stop, everythings on auto.
txcameralady

MusicDoctorDJ
Forum ProPosts: 12,400
Like?
Re: Black Images with Nikon D3100...it is defective!

I've seen a few D3100's with this problem . . . it is defective and needs to be sent in for warranty repair.

If you bought it from a local camera store, take it there and they will send it in for you.

If you bought it online or from Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Costco, etc, you'll need to contact Nikon directly and arrange for shipping as none of those retailers will deal with this for you.

Even if you bought it from any of those other stores or online, you could still take it to a camera store for service, however they will most likely charge you a small fee (to cover shipping) since you did not purchase it from them.

Also, make sure you have a copy of the original purchase receipt and supply it with the camera or the camera will not be covered under warranty.

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• "If your insurance company tells you that you don't need a lawyer . . . hire a lawyer!"

baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,918Gear list
Like?

Sometimes Nikon D40 did this. It was a glitch of firmware because it was caused by the ISO Auto that writes ISO 100 in EXIF. If you change that ISO value in EXIF of a RAW file the image was fine. Nikon D40 has no ISO 100 (the minimum ISO is ISO 200). It may be the same glitch and you are not shooting RAW so the result is a black JPEG.

What counts against it is the fact that you say the viewfinder is also black when it happens.
--
Victor
Bucuresti, Romania
http://picasaweb.google.com/victorpetcu69/
http://picasaweb.google.com/teodor.nitica/
http://picasaweb.google.com/vpreallize/
http://picasaweb.google.com/v.petcu.gci/
http://picasaweb.google.com/vpetcu.gci.arhiva/

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +12 more
Terry Geig
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Try a different menory card?
In reply to MusicDoctorDJ, Jun 4, 2011

It could be defective. These are the reasons I only buy cameras from reputable dealers.

Terry Geig's gear list:Terry Geig's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads