7d can not communicate with battery error

Started May 31, 2011 | Discussions
Mellisa
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
7d can not communicate with battery error
May 31, 2011

I was away to Canada, my 7d battery started acting up. LCD display said "Cannot communicate with this battery". So I turned a switch off several times and removed a battery from a camera. but still error message. I tried with another battery. Error message was same. So I thought that it comes from a camera side., therefore, I cleaned a pins of camera side with contact pin cleaner with Q tip. Still error message. I have three Canon batteries. same error message. Please tell me what to do. Thank you.

rickpoole
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Re: 7d can not communicate with battery error
In reply to Mellisa, May 31, 2011

Did you take the main battery and the clock battery out? How long did you leave them out? IIRC it takes about an hour for the camera to completely reset with both batteries out.

rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Syphin12
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Mellisa, Jun 1, 2011

This happened to me a few hours ago and I figured out the problem: a metal pin/connector piece on the top broke. --Not the main pins on top, but rather the small silver one beneath them. I suggest you look carefully at all the pins and connection areas to make sure nothing is loose.

This is very annoying.

Ian
Ian
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
In reply to Syphin12, Jun 3, 2011

Try using a rubber eraser (the harder compounds work best) on the terminals/electric contacts. My practically brand new BG-E9 grip for my 60D acted up today and that fixed it. I had the same issue with the lens contacts on a new Canon body once that customer service suggested that tip which has worked on my 580EXII as well when it was burning up batteries.
--
See my photos at: http://www.ianandersonphotography.com

Ian's gear list:Ian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +9 more
Ian
Ian
Like?
In reply to Ian, Jun 5, 2011

So much for working - my 60D/BG-E9 is acting up again this morning. So much for the gear being 2 weeks old.
--
See my photos at: http://www.ianandersonphotography.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +9 more
riknash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,998Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mellisa, Jun 5, 2011

During the winter, I had taken my 7D out in the extreme cold and afterwards I got this same error with both batteries plus a battery at the camera store. I thought I would for sure have to send it in. It remained in this state for several weeks until one day I took it out in the extreme cold and suddenly the problem disappeared. It hasn't come back since in several months. Maybe you need to come up to Canada again to 'fix' yours?

Mellisa wrote:

I was away to Canada, my 7d battery started acting up. LCD display said "Cannot communicate with this battery". So I turned a switch off several times and removed a battery from a camera. but still error message. I tried with another battery. Error message was same. So I thought that it comes from a camera side., therefore, I cleaned a pins of camera side with contact pin cleaner with Q tip. Still error message. I have three Canon batteries. same error message. Please tell me what to do. Thank you.
--

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
DCM0001
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Mellisa, Jul 7, 2011

I have this error with my 7D too. Charged (the original OEM) LP-E6 battery up and still got the error. I agreed to use the battery, and despite the battery display not showing any charge, it appears to be working fine. I then moved this battery into the 5D and the battery shows a full charge on the display there. So this error is clearly a problem with the 7D and NOT the battery (to confirm this I moved the 5D battery into the 7D and got the same result). I guess I will eventually need to send the 7D to Canon, however I am going to see how it works a battery in it.

Ian
Ian
Like?
In reply to DCM0001, Jul 26, 2011

I finally sent my BG-E9 grip to Canon and just got it back today. The report from the service was, "Your product has been examined and it was found that the part was
not properly connected repaired battery connection." All is good now!

Seeing as how it was brand new, it's a bit disappointing that it left the factory in that condition, but at least it's repaired and I'm only out a few days time and my shipping cost to Canon.

I'm just glad it was the grip and not the brand new camera...

-- hide signature --
heathergreen
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mellisa, 4 months ago

I just got this same error on my 7D.  It has the Canon BG-E7 battery grip and two Canon batteries in it. When this happened I was out for the day and getting ready to shoot so I just chose 'ok' on the menu and the camera worked fine.  Put the camera away as I always do at the end of the day with it OFF.  Went to use it a week later and batteries were completely drained.  Recharged batteries, same error.

It hasn't been exposed to extreme heat or cold.

I am trying the one suggestion now of removing all batteries including clock battery for an hour.  I don't have high hopes for this fix.  The batteries for my back up bodies (the 50D and the XTi) do not fit the 7D so I can't test any other batteries.

I've removed battery grip completely and just loaded one battery at a time and same error.

If I can meet up with a friend who also has a 7D then we'll switch battery grips and see if I get the same error.  I have a feeling that after the holidays I'll be sending it in to Canon to fix.

Just wanted to reply to this post to let people know that even though you can still shoot with this error, it will eat the batteries when not in use and with the camera OFF (at least in my case it does).

heathergreen's gear list:heathergreen's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads