First photos posted on forum - C&C appreciated!

Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions
cdubman
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
First photos posted on forum - C&C appreciated!
May 30, 2011

Hi all,

These are my first photos posted up here. Was just messing around in the backyard and liked the way these came out and would really like feedback.

They were shot raw and all I did was hit the "Convert" button in ViewNX2. Most were captured using Ray Soares' suggested settings/picture controls. The last two were using Ken Rockwell's suggested picture control settings for people (which I really like as well).

Would really appreciate feedback and suggestions - thoughts on PP, cropping, white balance, focus, sharpness, etc. (besides the feedback to mow my lawn and do more weeding - I'm very aware of that

Also, the first photo (ckw3901) has a spot in the upper left corner. I see the same thing in several photos shooting into the sun. Is that because I forgot to use the lens hood or is that something on my sensor?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your input!
CW

P.S. I don't know how to post originals, so please let me know if I need to do something different when posting.

Craig49
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
Re: First photos posted on forum - C&C appreciated!
In reply to cdubman, May 30, 2011

I like them.

The first one seemed 'flared' at first look and at second look I could see it. I assume you were shooting toward the sun. It caused the spot you mention. Sometimes a lens hood will fix this, sometimes you can shade your hand in front of and over the lens. Still works though.

Great looking son and dog, nicely captured. No other c&c. I'll be curious what those more experienced might say.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cdubman
Like?
In reply to Craig49, May 30, 2011

Thanks for the nice comments!

Yes, shooting into the sun w/o hood and used the on-board flash for fill.

Craig49 wrote:

I like them.

The first one seemed 'flared' at first look and at second look I could see it. I assume you were shooting toward the sun. It caused the spot you mention. Sometimes a lens hood will fix this, sometimes you can shade your hand in front of and over the lens. Still works though.

Great looking son and dog, nicely captured. No other c&c. I'll be curious what those more experienced might say.

jimbo68
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272
Like?
In reply to cdubman, May 31, 2011

Very nice.. You really need to use the lens hood. Notice the second dog shot has some flare under his chin.

cdubman
Like?
In reply to jimbo68, May 31, 2011

Thanks jimbo!

Totally agree on the hood...had a brain fart that day for whatever reason. Silly thing is that I keep the hood on the lens reversed so it literally was on while shooting, just not the useful way.

In the second dog shot, I can remember/tell if that is flare or a blade of grass. I was literally on my stomach and had the camera sort of below the grass, but you're spot on about the hood either way.

Would love other feedback from folks. Particularly thoughts on PP - adjusting white balance, picture controls, general adjustments, interesting crop ideas, etc. Also thoughts on focus. I haven't done any fine tuning, but seem to be getting results that I'd expect with my untrained eye.

I play around with stuff in PP but I have the hardest time telling which version/adjustment looks the best. Think that will be my next set of reading and experimenting, besides non-stop practicing.

Thanks again, keep the comments coming.

jimbo68 wrote:

Very nice.. You really need to use the lens hood. Notice the second dog shot has some flare under his chin.

AlbieSky
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?

What do you think about the skin tone on your child? There are many posts about D7000 and skin tone.

Do you think the photo was accurate in the skin tone?

To me it seems a bit off, a bit too orange?.

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
dave1812
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899Gear list
Like?
In reply to AlbieSky, May 31, 2011

Is your monitor calibrated? On my screen the skin tones look pretty normal...

AlbieSky wrote:

What do you think about the skin tone on your child? There are many posts about D7000 and skin tone.

Do you think the photo was accurate in the skin tone?

To me it seems a bit off, a bit too orange?.

-- hide signature --

Dave

1954 Sears Tower Companion> Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B> Retina IIc> Minolta 16 II> Polaroid 230> Mamiya Sekor 1000 DTL> Polariod SX-70> Minolta XD-11> Canon MC-10> Minolta Maxxum HTsi> Olympus XA> Olympus Accura Zoom 105> Canon S45> Sony DSC-W170> Nikon D3100> Nikon D5100

dave1812's gear list:dave1812's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
AlbieSky
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave1812, May 31, 2011

No, it is not calibrated.

But....I open up my iPhoto pics and my older camera pictures have skin tone which my 'eye' prefers. This poster's skin tone is again a bit 'off.' Maybe I am just used to the look of the D70 and D80's skin tone. Overall, I take pictures with the D5100 and marvel at how much better this little camera is.

My previous D70 an D80 would never have been able to do this:

Jpg, ooc, kit lens, no pp'n.

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,013Gear list
Like?

Very nice work. Nailed the dog both times right on the eyeball, just like it says in the manual. The kid looks good too. You're on your way!

cdubman
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, May 31, 2011

Thanks Reilly!

It's been fun learning and my keeper rate keeps going up (or maybe I'm just becoming more selective

As far as the skin tone comments from other, on my monitor (which isn't calibrated) the tone looks pretty darn close to my real life perception of my son's skin. The last photo has the saturation at +1 (Ken Rockwell's reco) so that one might have a bit more color in it. He's also 1/2 asian, so not sure if that influences how you might think about skin tone.

Either my eye isn't trained or my monitors are OK, but I really love the colors and skin tones I'm getting out of the camera. Without knowing somebody I would think it's hard to assess skin tones unless they are really really off - maybe as I get more experience it will make more sense.

Lastly, with the limited PP I have been doing, I've noticed that adjusting white balance can have a HUGE effect on the overall colors/tone. Seems like something I need to start paying more attention to - anybody have pointers on adjusting white balance or helpful tips?

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Very nice work. Nailed the dog both times right on the eyeball, just like it says in the manual. The kid looks good too. You're on your way!

mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?

They look fine -- if you keep this up you'll have captured great memories of your son. They are not the most artistic things in the world, but that's hard to do when shooting toddlers. It pays to really focus on your backgrounds and think about how it will affect your composition.

How do you control your backgrounds with a toddler that doesn't much care about your "art"? Scope it out in advance, position yourself in the ideal position, then wait and hope.

My only other comment in about editing (from the culling perspective). Do you need three shots with a hose? Two nearly identical shots of the dog? It is hard to make these choices but it is a skill that needs to be learned.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesenpickles/

cary smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,596
Like?
skin tones
In reply to mnodonnell, May 31, 2011

skin tones look good to me

Unless you are using a calibrated photo grade monitor, that is -not- a laptop TN screen, you will never know about your colors.

cary
ps - my monitor is a NEC 2070nx, calibrated with eye-one 2

cdubman
Like?
In reply to mnodonnell, May 31, 2011

Thanks for the comments!

Couldn't agree more about the composition - definitely limited/redundant. Appreciate the feedback and good ideas about planning the backgrounds better with a toddler and being more patient.

Anybody have other feedback/thoughts about post-processing?

mnodonnell wrote:

They look fine -- if you keep this up you'll have captured great memories of your son. They are not the most artistic things in the world, but that's hard to do when shooting toddlers. It pays to really focus on your backgrounds and think about how it will affect your composition.

How do you control your backgrounds with a toddler that doesn't much care about your "art"? Scope it out in advance, position yourself in the ideal position, then wait and hope.

My only other comment in about editing (from the culling perspective). Do you need three shots with a hose? Two nearly identical shots of the dog? It is hard to make these choices but it is a skill that needs to be learned.
--

Craig49
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
PP unneeded...
In reply to cdubman, Jun 1, 2011

These are good pictures of your son and dog. Back them up with carbonite and you'll have them years from now to look at and smile about.

They don't need any pp. Take some bad pictures and ask for peoples suggestions then.

mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?

Consider this as well: if you really like multiples of a similar shot and have the space to keep them, by all means do so. I don't want you to regret deleting photos you really like.

But when publishing, whether it's having prints made, putting together a book, or putting some shots up on the Web, you're better off paring them down.

Regarding post-processing, I wouldn't do much. Kids in ample daylight (assuming your exposure is correct) will always look great. No need to muck it up. Some items you would consider are cloning out distracting elements (if they lends themselves to easy removal) or adding a slight vignette (the kind you don't notice) to focus the eye on the child's face.

When I process shots of my little ones I'll sometimes do a slight curves adjustment to bring down the luminance of the background and lift the face a touch.
--

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

cdubman wrote:

Thanks for the comments!

Anybody have other feedback/thoughts about post-processing?

Yes keep doing what you did with these!

Lovely colours and clarity. At some point try blurring the background and isolating the subjects with something like a AF 50mm f1.4 lens, then you cant see if the grass needs cutting!! and lots of fun.

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads