D200....worth buying

Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions
Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
Re: D200....worth buying
In reply to Cytokine, May 31, 2011

Two photos taken under the same exact conditions ,one with the D200 , another with the D300 , how many people will be able to pick the d300 with any statistical significance would be an interesting proposition to undertake. I'm sure it would be practically imposible for anybody to say which pic came from which camera . Pick your camera based on ergonomics and features , not picture quality . This being said , High Iso performance is a whole different ball game.

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
perroneford
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to larrytusaz, May 31, 2011

As a Pro , I look at these "features" and just shake my head. My F4 had every feature I needed to produce paying work. In fact, my AE-1 did as well. Features I want as a sports pro are:

1. Camera works when I press the shutter
2. Camera writes to two different media so I have an instant backup.
3. Camera provides an accurate exposure
4. Camera has accurate color
5. Camera can shoot at least 1/4000
6. Camera allows manual exposure adjustments
7. Camera shoots at least 5-6fps for those times I want to burst.
8. Camera produces good images at 400 ISO.

That's all the features I need.

Some of the stuff I read about people wanting or "needing" just amazes me. My D7000 does more stuff than I could ever ask for, but falls down in some basics. My D2X is darn near perfect.. if only it had a clean 800 ISO.

I wonder how many here could REALLY just get good images with an FM2 and an AI-s lens. That's really more than most people need.

larrytusaz wrote:

My point? Me personally, I go with newer sensor technology over features, but then I'm a mere hobbyist so others may have different views on the matter.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to Mannypr, May 31, 2011

Mannypr wrote:

Pick your camera based on ergonomics and features , not picture quality . This being said , High Iso performance is a whole different ball game.

I was talking about the ease of post processing and the relevance of four and five year old technology today, in a camera that had superb ergonomics anyway. If picture quality is not important then why buy a DSLR. And if the D200 and D300 have the same picture quality at base ISO and the OP has a D7000 for high ISO then you are confirming that he has made the right decision.

John

mgaf
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
In reply to narddogg81, May 31, 2011

I have the D200 and advertised it for sale, now I am reconsidering my decision. I bought new D90 from blacks for $650 body new and returned 3 of them within 15 days of return/refund policy. Each exhibited issues like onboard flash underexposed, suddenly the color changed to bluish, would not do preset while my other cameras like D40, D70, and D200 would work properly. Took a brand new D90 kit from bestbuy for $739 brand new and still in the box. The only reason why I like the D90 is its high iso capability and its cheaper price ( I still can't justify the D7000 price having a difference of around $700 with that amount I better buy a descent lense).

I may return the D90 because I am not happy with the skin tone color. With the D200 the color seems very natural to me. Most of the pic as well taken by the D7000 in regards with skin tone is inferior to the D200. There is something in the D200 when it comes in color. I took again multiple photos of objects, flower, people, the photo from D200 is better than what the D90 is producing. I am comfortable taking photo up to iso 800 with D200 run in neat image.

If I will not be able to learn to produce a good skin tone from the D90 then I don't need its high iso because to be honest, how often my photos are taken in low light. I have a descent tripod I can use for low light using iso 100....its fantastic.

I think what will happen is that once you see the color the D200 is capable of producing you will make the D7000 as a backup, or only for low light but for the rest you will utilize the D200. The ONLY downside I believe the D200 has is in low light. But the rest it works great.

Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, May 31, 2011

Cytokine wrote:

Mannypr wrote:

Pick your camera based on ergonomics and features , not picture quality . This being said , High Iso performance is a whole different ball game.

I was talking about the ease of post processing and the relevance of four and five year old technology today, in a camera that had superb ergonomics anyway. If picture quality is not important then why buy a DSLR. And if the D200 and D300 have the same picture quality at base ISO and the OP has a D7000 for high ISO then you are confirming that he has made the right decision.

John

Thats right John , but I am not saying that there are no differences in image quality between both camera . What I am saying is that those differences that do exist are so small as to be practically for all intents and proposes identical at base iso and a little over . That being as it is the D7000 has been the first DX camera to make me think otherwise as everytime I see photos taken with that camera compare to my own , Nikon D90 , I can see differences between both in image quality . This is rather the exception then the norm. Take Care.

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mannypr, May 31, 2011

Thanks for all the opinions but I ordered the D200. The main reason I ordered the 200 over the 90 was the build. I have an old Canon 20D that I'am selling cause I dont use it and the IQ pleased me and I know the D200 will be better. Being newer does not matter to me since I have a D7000 for the latest and greatest feeling.

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads