A baby D3s? British Journal of Photography review D7000

Started May 28, 2011 | Discussions
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
A baby D3s? British Journal of Photography review D7000
May 28, 2011
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: A baby D3s? British Journal of Photography review D7000
In reply to Cytokine, May 28, 2011

PS there are some interesting comments regarding the 12mp cameras and in the Q and A at the end an interesting comment about D200 and updated software.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
Re: A baby D3s? British Journal of Photography review D7000
In reply to Cytokine, May 28, 2011

Thank you for posting. Interesting article and comments, as I just purchased a D7K two day ago.

I am quickly getting the settings adjusted to my liking. I will be using it for it virgin-busting first event shoot next weekend.

Again thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BruceEvans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291
Like?
Re: A baby D3s? British Journal of Photography review D7000
In reply to Cytokine, May 28, 2011

One interesting thing is his constant stating that the D7000 is "as good as the D3 BUT..." I'm sure the D7000 is a nice and capable camera but from this review at least, it's not a "baby D3."

The review sounds like it's written by a person who's a writer first and a photographer second.

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094Gear list
Like?
One point I would agree to, though ...
In reply to BruceEvans, May 28, 2011

BruceEvans wrote:

One interesting thing is his constant stating that the D7000 is "as good as the D3 BUT..." I'm sure the D7000 is a nice and capable camera but from this review at least, it's not a "baby D3."

It could be said of the D7000 that it shares one treat with the D3, which is a to small buffer size in relation to its frame rate capability

(Which was fixed in the D3s, btw)

The review sounds like it's written by a person who's a writer first and a photographer second.

I would agree on that.

If being baby-anything, the D7000 is more of a baby-D700 (which make the numbering all the more interesting ...) After all, the D700 is a high end, but all out full stop pro model with FX, the same could be said of the D7000 and with DX. Both are sort of "high end enthusiast" models for their respective sensor size. A future D400 would on the other hand be a much more likely "baby D3/D3s" candidate.

From the history cabinet: When releasing the D3 and D300 back in 2007 Nikon actually at several times during the press event mentioned the D300 being a "baby D3" and said that this relationship was much stronger then between D2x and D200 (where the latter eventually got the nickname "baby D2x").

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

 Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: One point I would agree to, though ...
In reply to Grevture, May 28, 2011

Grevture wrote:

From the history cabinet: When releasing the D3 and D300 back in 2007 Nikon actually at several times during the press event mentioned the D300 being a "baby D3" and said that this relationship was much stronger then between D2x and D200 (where the latter eventually got the nickname "baby D2x").

I think it is because everybody is tired of waiting for the Baby D4 and then the D7000 will be the baby's baby???

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094Gear list
Like?
Re: One point I would agree to, though ...
In reply to Cytokine, May 28, 2011

Cytokine wrote:

Grevture wrote:

From the history cabinet: When releasing the D3 and D300 back in 2007 Nikon actually at several times during the press event mentioned the D300 being a "baby D3" and said that this relationship was much stronger then between D2x and D200 (where the latter eventually got the nickname "baby D2x").

I think it is because everybody is tired of waiting for the Baby D4 and then the D7000 will be the baby's baby???

Ah, we are getting into grandchildren now ... Then which models are cousins, nephews, aunts etc?

Tired of waiting? A D4 and very probably a D400 (or whatever they choose to call them) is rather likely to appear in August, right on schedule so to speak (judging from Nikons model history throughout the digital era).

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

 Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: One point I would agree to, though ...
In reply to Grevture, May 28, 2011

Grevture wrote:

Cytokine wrote:

Grevture wrote:

From the history cabinet: When releasing the D3 and D300 back in 2007 Nikon actually at several times during the press event mentioned the D300 being a "baby D3" and said that this relationship was much stronger then between D2x and D200 (where the latter eventually got the nickname "baby D2x").

I think it is because everybody is tired of waiting for the Baby D4 and then the D7000 will be the baby's baby???

Ah, we are getting into grandchildren now ... Then which models are cousins, nephews, aunts etc?

Tired of waiting? A D4 and very probably a D400 (or whatever they choose to call them) is rather likely to appear in August, right on schedule so to speak (judging from Nikons model history throughout the digital era).

August is a good month to be born, I will have to photograph the happy event with my D200!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,649
Like?
Surely it's a baby D3x
In reply to Cytokine, May 28, 2011

The resolution of the D7000 is closer to the D3x than any other nikon camera. It's high iso performance is close too along with it's af performance. At least that's what I found when comparing it with the D3x and D3s for bird photography.
--
Cheers, BB
FlickR site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cary smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,596
Like?
baby frame, full frame, magna frame
In reply to Brandon birder, May 29, 2011

baby frame, full frame, magna frame
yes, now we can name them all and brag about how big ours is !!!

cary
ps - magna frame- anything larger than full frame.

Reminds me of shrimp size grading - large, very-large, extra-large, jumbo, colossal

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rufusm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,089
Like?
Re: baby frame, full frame, magna frame
In reply to cary smith, May 30, 2011

cary smith wrote:

Reminds me of shrimp size grading - large, very-large, extra-large, jumbo, colossal

^^^This is funny^^^

The D7000 seems to be a fulcrum for debate. What's in a name? A name by any other... -Bill S
--
http://www.cpetridis.com
http://www.onyxstudios.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads