Shutter Actuation Count

Started May 25, 2011 | Discussions
doch22009
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Shutter Actuation Count
May 25, 2011

Did anyone else know that you can read the total number of shutter actuations of your Nikon SLR by opening an image using the Preview program that comes with Mac OS X, and simply clicking on the "inspector" button? I didn't.

This could be a useful feature when buying a used or "demo" Nikon - shoot a photo with it, look at the photo on any Mac computer, and you'll have a good idea of how much use it has had.

Interestingly, my D70 has about the same number of actuations (slightly less) as my D300, despite being 3 years older - the D300 is faster, easier to use (for me) and just plain fun to shoot with, so has been getting more use.

-- hide signature --

Andrew H.

doch22009's gear list:doch22009's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D70 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +25 more
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: Shutter Actuation Count
In reply to doch22009, May 26, 2011

doch22009 wrote:

Did anyone else know that you can read the total number of shutter actuations of your Nikon SLR by opening an image using the Preview program that comes with Mac OS X, and simply clicking on the "inspector" button? I didn't.

This could be a useful feature when buying a used or "demo" Nikon - shoot a photo with it, look at the photo on any Mac computer, and you'll have a good idea of how much use it has had.

Yes, many programs show the shutter actuations, commercial, shareware and free. But they only show what the cameras store in the EXIF fields, and older cameras often don't. Older models such as Nikon's D100 and Fuji's S3 Pro don't appear to store actuations, making it harder to evaluate older used DSLRs. In fact, Fuji's tech. support said that users can read the S5 Pro's shutter actuations, but the S3 Pro has to be sent back to Fuji where it will be "put on the bench" in order to ferret out the actuations information.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bradleydad
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Billx08, Apr 6, 2013

What Nion column in preview/tols/inspector, second column, the tabs are general, EXIF, JFIF and Tiff

Does anyone actually know a way to get a shutter count on my D70?

hkb
hkb
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to bradleydad, Apr 6, 2013

in exif colomn, almost at the bottom, image number

D70 files should show image number

janpenguin
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
In reply to hkb, Apr 6, 2013

I use exiftool program to read shutter count on a JPEG file.

janpenguin's gear list:janpenguin's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Nikon D200 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
shirbob
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to hkb, Apr 10, 2013

www.myshuttercount.com

hope that helps   Bob

DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
In reply to shirbob, Apr 12, 2013

Opanda is free and shows the shutter acctuations in one of it's displays.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads