how important light is for sharp photos

Started May 25, 2011 | Discussions
ocean76
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
how important light is for sharp photos
May 25, 2011

hi,
I thought "light" was the 1st rule for getting sharp photos...

I took that photo at a dim light and got surprised to see it was really sharp and noiseless although it was dark and had an apperture value of f 1.8.

exif:
time: 23:45
d7000
f 1.8
10 seconds
iso 100
matrix
lens: 35 mm

so it is possible to shoot vey sharp photos at no light at all...

I find it strange (it is just the opposite they taught me in the class) but nice....

tc333
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,928
Like?
Re: how important light is for sharp photos
In reply to ocean76, May 25, 2011

ISO 100 and you are surprised it is noiseless. Just what did they teach you!
--
Tony

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tbolt47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
No

Light is the thing that gives you good photos - whether it's a lot of light or very little. There's no reason why a ISO100 long exposure shouldn't be sharp.

Tbolt47's gear list:Tbolt47's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +10 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,978Gear list
Like?

Very impressive.

The benefits of a tripod, fast lens, shooting at base ISO, and an advanced camera.

Or, you could shoot at 1/3 second at ISO 3200, hand held, with image stabilization; and then live with the fuzzy edges and noise.

As the class says, good lighting helps a lot and eliminates the need for the fast lens and the tripod, and maybe even the advanced camera technology. Good light also eliminates the need to know that you need a fast lens and a tripod and the better camera.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

ocean76 wrote:

hi,

There has to be some light otherwise just leave your lens cap on!!!

I took that photo at a dim light and got surprised to see it was really sharp and noiseless although it was dark and had an apperture value of f 1.8.

exif:
time: 23:45
d7000
f 1.8
10 seconds
iso 100
matrix
lens: 35 mm

so it is possible to shoot vey sharp photos at no light at all...

I find it strange (it is just the opposite they taught me in the class) but nice....

On the contrary there is allot of light, you just collected it over a long time.

Low ISO is your best friend if you can use it. Nice capture!

John

learnerguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?

My question is: what makes a photographer to decide on 10 seconds?

What are the "deciding" factors for shutter speed in "low light" or "poor light"?

How would the same photo look like if I were to keep the shutter open for 1 minute or 2 minutes? Too Overexposed?

ocean76 wrote:

learnerguy's gear list:learnerguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D3100
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,647
Like?

ocean76 wrote:

It is, you just haven't factored in 'time'.When you expose at 10s at f/1.8, you're going to let in a lot of light regardless. When they say you need 'light', they mean that you need to control the light that you have.

Also, f/1.8 is very unoptimal for the lens. Since you were shooting on a tripod, you could have made the same exposure at 30s and f/4 and would have achieved an even sharper image.

sic0048
Regular MemberPosts: 403
Like?
In reply to learnerguy, May 25, 2011

learnerguy wrote:

My question is: what makes a photographer to decide on 10 seconds?

What are the "deciding" factors for shutter speed in "low light" or "poor light"?

How would the same photo look like if I were to keep the shutter open for 1 minute or 2 minutes? Too Overexposed?

Well today's DSLR cameras can meter pretty well out to about 30 seconds. So it is likely that the camera's meter was used either in aperture priority mode, or as a baseline to get the exposure in manual mode.

This picture is exposed nearly perfectly IMHO and increasing the exposure from 10 seconds to 1 minute would increase the exposure by about 2.5 stops. If you didn't compensate for that increase by changing the ISO (can't in this case as it already is at ISO100) or aperture, then the picture would be overexposed.

binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?
In reply to stuntmonkey, May 25, 2011

stuntmonkey wrote:

Also, f/1.8 is very unoptimal for the lens. Since you were shooting on a tripod, you could have made the same exposure at 30s and f/4 and would have achieved an even sharper image.

Except at f/4, the background would appear more sharp, making the wheel appear less sharp relative to the rest of the scene.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads