NX100 it is but which lens?

Started May 25, 2011 | Discussions
benlawlor85
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
NX100 it is but which lens?
May 25, 2011

Hi all,

After thinking about it for far to long, i am going to buy the NX100. found a really good price on it (£239) with 20-50.
but which of the pancakes should i get?
The main reason i want one is to make it smaller.
the 30mm is at about £170
and the 20mm about £235

any thoughts?

jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168Gear list
Like?
Re: NX100 it is but which lens?
In reply to benlawlor85, May 25, 2011

I purchased the nx100 with 20-50mm . I'm waiting for the 16mm. Reason is the 20-50 covers the 20mm & 30mm . The 20-50 is small IMO .
--
Keep on shooting!
New York
Jeff

jeffsvisions's gear list:jeffsvisions's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel1977
Contributing MemberPosts: 910Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffsvisions, May 25, 2011

But 20-50 has poor light 3.5-5.6
20mm starts from 2.8
30mm starts from 2.0

I think that 20mm is very good chioice but tou dont have any zoom.
I have all the lenses, but I use mainly 20mm and 50-200mm, a little less 30mm.
30mm is very nice in dark conditions. 20 mm has a wide viewing angle.
So it's hard to choose

-- hide signature --
 Daniel1977's gear list:Daniel1977's gear list
Samsung TL320 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +5 more
Michael Barker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?

benlawlor85 wrote:

Hi all,

After thinking about it for far to long, i am going to buy the NX100. found a really good price on it (£239) with 20-50.
and the 20mm about £235

any thoughts?

My vote would be for the 30mm. It's a normal/standard focal length which for most people means it has a natural perspective, and I just find it to be "not too wide, not too long" in a vast number of situations - it's a flexible focal length - that's the reason it's the focal length at the middle of every standard kit zoom, but ironically it is not the best performing focal length on those zooms.

The full stop difference f/2 vs. f/2.8 makes a big difference in depth of field, and the longer focal length makes you stand further from the subject, which also makes a big difference in depth of field, so if you like background blur in more than just closeup pictures, the 30mm is the one to get. And of course f/2 makes a big difference in low light especially if your subject is moving at all - very important for the NX100 since it's a camera that is not highly praised high ISO quality.

Michael Barker's gear list:Michael Barker's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
cucumber
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?

benlawlor85 wrote:

and the 20mm about £235

20mm is overpriced. for instance in Germany its price tag is below £170.

20-50mm lens is quite compact.

30mm pancake is a bit smaller than 20mm one.

paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
In reply to cucumber, May 25, 2011

30mm because its smaller/cheaper/faster.

but i think you're fighting a loosing battle to make it smaller. give in and just buy the 50-200mm .

Sergiusbr
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?

Get the 30mm F2 pancake. Later add the 16mm when available.
The 20-50mm is a good and versatile lens for stills.
regards!

benlawlor85 wrote:

Hi all,

and the 20mm about £235

any thoughts?

-- hide signature --
 Sergiusbr's gear list:Sergiusbr's gear list
Samsung TL500 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +32 more
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to Sergiusbr, May 25, 2011

Get the 30mm, then turn the NX100 into a x100 killer at 1/3 the cost.

The other great thing is how well these cams take to legacy lenses...

jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?

benlawlor85 wrote:

Hi all,

and the 20mm about £235

any thoughts?

I would opt for the 30mm. The 20mm and 30mm focal lengths are already covered by the zoom lens, and both lenses are great quality, so the only thing to really look at is aperture. The 30mm provides a real benefit with f2 while the 20mm is only f2.8. Of course this is just my opinion.

Had I known about the 16mm f2.4 lens coming out this year though, I think I would have waited for that lens instead of buying the 30mm because the 16mm lens is both bright and a different focal length not covered by a zoom lens.

benlawlor85
Like?
In reply to jj74e, May 25, 2011

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. Looks like i will probs get the 30mm. i do like the i-function tho! lol.

The person who recommended getting the 55-200 i feel these long lenses are really missing the point of this camera. small portable but with great results!

another thing tho.

what do you guys use to PP? i use macs and have aperture, but the NX100 raw files are not supported in it yet. and im not about to go out and buy Lightroom.

any feedback on this would be great.

Cheers
Ben

aeolos
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

i bought a the nx100 with the 30mm lens.. i quickly realised that i dont gain that much with the 30mm because the 20-50mm is already very small and the quality is very good : )

Andrew Higgins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?

I'm not tempted by either of the current 'pancake' lenses, as the 20-50mm kit lens is small enough, and very sharp. That short zoom range is useful too.
Only the promised, forthcoming 16mm could interest me.

A
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajh400
http://www.blipfoto.com/ah2010

Andrew Higgins's gear list:Andrew Higgins's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Ricoh Caplio R8 Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR +10 more
Michael Barker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?

benlawlor85 wrote:

what do you guys use to PP? i use macs and have aperture, but the NX100 raw files are not supported in it yet. and im not about to go out and buy Lightroom.

I use Aperture. I hope NX100 will be added soon, but in the meantime I convert all my files to DNG before importing to Aperture, using the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5023

Another comment: the usual exposure for candlelit portraits, buildings under floodlights at night, etcetera is: ISO800, 1/30, f/2 or ISO800, 1/15, f/2.8. In this context, the aperture values chosen for the 16mm f2.4, 20mm f2.8 and 30mm f2.0 seem just about right.

Michael Barker's gear list:Michael Barker's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Stelyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?

benlawlor85 wrote:

Hi all,

and the 20mm about £235

any thoughts?

30mm.

Stelyn's gear list:Stelyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD450 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
NXism
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?

No matter which of the two primes you prefer, if you already own the 20-50mm, there are some very strong arguments for the 30mm over the 20mm.

1- The 20-50mm is an awesome lens and performs best at 20mm. It is only slightly slower than the 20mm pancake and is sharp even wide open at f3.5. Also, don't forget that at shorter focal ranges, you can get away with slower shutter speeds.

2- It depends on your tastes but when it comes to a fixed focal length, I don't think you could strongly argue that either the 20mm or the 30mm is more versatile than the other for the range of images they can produce. What I would say is this: the 30mm equates to the classic, 'normal' prime and therefore provides a more natural perspective which one could argue gives more consistent 'look' across the range of subjects.

3- The maximum aperture of the 20-50mm at 30mm is only f4.3- i.e. there's greater disparity between this value and the f2 of the 30mm prime.

4- One of the great strengths of prime lens is large maximum apertures. Not only does f2 on the 30mm prime let more light in, it boosts the already shallower depth of field against the 20mm f2.8 (remember that longer focal lengths have shallower depth of field given the same aperture setting). For me, my 30mm is my low light lens and it still ain't fast enough. You need all the light you can get.

5- Talking of longer focal lengths, everyone knows prime lenses make you work harder to get the right composition. Again, this is a matter of personal tastes and how your mind works, but a normal focal length and it's smaller field of view really does force you to think about what you don't need in your frame. In other words, it really makes you think about how you're isolating your subject, which for me is one of the keys in a great picture.

6- Don't get seduced by the iFunction on the 20mm. I think it has potential with a few tweaks in operation, but I never use it on my 20-50mm and I regard it as more of a gimmick. It takes no greater time or effort to access the same parameters via the main controls which are well laid out.

7- The 20mm is not worth the extra you'd be paying at those prices. It annoys me a bit that it's so much more expensive. I feel it should be more or less on a par with the 30mm in terms of prices. I suspect that a 30mm iFunction will eventually make its way and then you'll have to pay the £65 premium for an extra plastic button, some extra letters on your lens, and some additional firmware. Get the original, not marketing-enhanced 30mm while you can.

8- Did I mention that the 20-50mm is GREAT at the 20mm wide end? I think I did but I'll say it again! To my eye, it matches the 30mm pancake in picture quality at this resolution. (It's not bad across the range either but does get a bit soft at 50mm which is fine for portraits).

It's worth mentioning that I don't own the 20mm pancake and therefore my views may be biased. There are plenty of fans of the 20mm prime here too. If I was going for the ultimate COMPACT setup, I'd complement the 30mm with the 20mm into a two lens kit with no hesitation.

Hope this helps!

benlawlor85
Like?
In reply to NXism, May 25, 2011

Hi, Yeah all good points, think the 30mm will be the way to go and get the 16mm when it comes out. camera should be here tomorrow which should be good. Now... to get my ideas sorted for the project im working on....

On the aperture note, its so annoying apple are so slow at these things... i will try the DNG converter once more.

Now just to find a nice OVF... there is a Helios one on ebay with 35mm lines on it... which might be ok only £40 too!

JP
JP
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
In reply to Michael Barker, May 26, 2011

I have to agree with Michael here.
When I got my nx100 with 20-50 I got the 30mm f2 at the same time.

The reasons, it's small, f2 on a 30 gives you a smaller DOF than f2.8 on a 20mm (smaller aperture and longer focal length), makes it a great portrait lens. It is also a 'normal' lens on aps-c. I'm sure ifn is nice, but I don't miss it on the 30mm.

When the 16mm comes out it will be on my shopping list. I've not used the 20-50 mm zoom yet ! My DSLR covers all the other options, my NX100 with 30mm is the in-the-pocket-camera.
JP

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads