The latest on D7000 skin tones?

Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent Thread
In reply to Swedish Hambern, May 26, 2011

And now, the final meltdown, followed by a three month absence. This has been most entertaining. Thanks, Hambern!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,310Gear list
Like?
hypochondriacs don't want to be told they're healthy ;-)
In reply to Swedish Hambern, May 26, 2011

and you're doing exactly the same with your d7k

frankly if you give me a decent price, I'm more than happy to buy it 2nd hand from you

just let me know ok?

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
antoineb
Like?
;-)
In reply to scokill, May 26, 2011

(nt)
A

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, taste. But "no time for testing", hmmm
In reply to antoineb, May 26, 2011

Have you had a look at his gallery? There's a vision problem there to go along with the known issues.

Foto1818
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Swedish Hambern - Please Give up.
In reply to Mako2011, May 26, 2011

No point trying to fight.

I for one support your point and I'm a D7000 owner (previously a canon user). I really hate the pinkish/orange/yellowish cast on the skin tones of Nikon cameras from D80/D90/D300/D700/D7000 default settings, especially when the photos are taken indoors without using Bounce Flash. Of course you can prevent the pinkish/orange/yellowish skin tones but you have to do some hard work. Since this is Nikon's default color tones.

If you search the Dpreview forum, 3-4 years ago people were already arguing about Nikon default having warmer colors and Canon having cooler colors.

If you do some research majority of people are more attracted to warmer colors. Hence you can't argue with them that the skin tones look funny, because they like it. LOL.

Hence , people who have been using Nikon for years they are used to these color tones (Example, Go to Kenrockwell web page and look at his indoors photos. Shocking Pinkish/orange skin tones. But he seems to like it very much, When he test Canon camera's he actually tweak the WB to be more AMBER (warmer)!!!.

I have gone through the exercise to taking photos of the same object using a canon and a nikon. And easilly you can see Nikon colors in standard Jpeg settings are warmer (Far warmer than the actual object). Hence under indoor lighthing conditions more often then not, you will get severe orange/yellow cast during Jpg shootings.

I did a blind test by asking a friend to take photos of same object using a canon and nikon. I was able to tell him which photos was taken with a canon and which is from a nikon. I was a long time canon users before I switch to D7000. Hence I know what canon color is.

Lastly Nikon brand is Yellow in color. I reckon Nikon intentionally make their default settings with yellow cast as their signature. LOL.

Foto1818
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Swedish Hambern - Please Give up.
In reply to Foto1818, May 26, 2011

Look at this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=38513478

Epic failure another good example of Nikon warm colors , outdoor photos but the colors are still so warm, the girl and the boy face look as if they are using overdose for Fake tans. Sigh. Nikon trademark!

antoineb
Like?
show us those samples then

some of us have posted actual SAMPLES, instead of talking. These don't show a particular problem.

Unless, of course, someone DECIDES beforehand, that they want to see a problem.

please show us samples - I'm always interested to learn and if i don't get orange-ish skin tones then why is that? Standard or Neutral vs Vivid? Abstaining from adding Saturation in camera or in PP?

antoineb
Like?
Foto 1818: you should READ before you post

If you had READ, you would have noticed that the OP in the thread you linked to, clearly mentioned they went out to take portraits IN THE EVENING SUN.

The evening sun, I'm sure you've noticed, throws a golden light on everything, including faces.

So what you claim, is a "problem" in that thread you linked, is actually the simple result of the light from the sunset, or near the sunset.

Allow me to post another "problem shot" with the same "issue" (not from a d7k though). Notice how the stone of this mountain hut, which is dull grey (trust me on this), looks "horribly golden"...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antoinebach/3825465911

antoineb
Like?
I don't mind distorted faces if artistic choices
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, May 26, 2011

I don't mind the artistic choice the OP made, to almost always photograph only at very short range, leading to distorted faces and tougher issues with exposure (if you border on macro, you have to light for macro) not to mention his occasional use of flash at very close range.

But again - it's his choice. He has a full right to make the artistic choice to make everyone look ugly by photographing at wide-angle and close range.

Of course, all kids love to do this with a p&s camera or an iPhone, and then I, personally, don't see why use a DSLR for this. But again, this is a free world.

binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?
Re: metamerism
In reply to rhlpetrus, May 26, 2011

rhlpetrus wrote:

They may not be exactly same, but I've never heard anybody commenting on the differences for these pairs of cameras re IQ, and it's simpler to assume they are the same than otherwise.

There aren't significant differences, but there are differences. I've worked with real-world raw files from both the D3 and D700, and they don't behave quite the same.

The color response of the cameras is different according to DXO. Relative to the D300, the D300S is less sensitive to red but more sensitive to blue.

Maybe sample variation? Why would Nikon change from D300 to D300s?

Perhaps to increase high ISO performance? Less color filtration increases overall sensitivity.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads