I think I've figured it out

Started May 21, 2011 | Discussions
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,719
Like?
I think I've figured it out
May 21, 2011

Sigma is getting tired of being a camera manufacturer but still wants to recoupe their Foveon investment. So they make a high priced demo camera just to show off their new sensor in hopes some other camera company will either buy the chips from them or make an offer to buy the entire Foveon division.

Remember, you heard it here first.

OldSchoolNewSchool
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Re: I think I've figured it out
In reply to mike earussi, May 21, 2011

Quite possible. Perhaps they're using the "ultra-luxury-minded" psychology -- you, know, make something so expensive it must be a fantastic product. Whether this sways a potential buyer remains to be seen.

Robert
--
My state of confusion has turned into a circle of confusion.

OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list:OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
In reply to mike earussi, May 21, 2011

That crossed my mind too. I think another possibility is that Sigma did some surveying and people told them they thought the pictures from the camera were from medium format and then got the idea that they could charge medium format prices. They probably originally made the camera to compete with the canon 7d.

Manchu
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to OldSchoolNewSchool, May 21, 2011

OldSchoolNewSchool wrote:

Quite possible. Perhaps they're using the "ultra-luxury-minded" psychology -- you, know, make something so expensive it must be a fantastic product. Whether this sways a potential buyer remains to be seen.

Robert
--

That "ultra-luxury-minded" psychology worked for some particular marques that have established themselves in the past through superior products, but only for a limited time. Look what happened to RR and many other exotic cars that used to be bought to show off. Sigma is however nowhere near an established name for superior cameras, not even decent cameras in fact. The only logical conclusion for this pricing is 1), they have really got something truly revolutionary and of MF quality, 2) they are giving up on Foveon and just want a way out that they think can get some publicity before letting Faveon and the SD die, or 3) someone there calling the shots got too much radiation to his head from the radioactive leaks.

harry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,000Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photohobbyfun, May 21, 2011

For this price, SD1 should've come with a full-size sensor, don't you think?

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot A40 Nikon Coolpix P50 Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P300 +1 more
Manchu
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to Manchu, May 25, 2011

Manchu wrote:

OldSchoolNewSchool wrote:

Robert
--

That "ultra-luxury-minded" psychology worked for some particular marques that have established themselves in the past through superior products, but only for a limited time. Look what happened to RR and many other exotic cars that used to be bought to show off. Sigma is however nowhere near an established name for superior cameras, not even decent cameras in fact. The only logical conclusion for this pricing is 1), they have really got something truly revolutionary and of MF quality, 2) they are giving up on Foveon and just want a way out that they think can get some publicity before letting Faveon and the SD die, or 3) someone there calling the shots got too much radiation to his head from the radioactive leaks.

Interesting how this SD1 case is still topping all other news. It's been a few days now and there has been time for some cool thinking about these reasons for the extraordinary pricing. I am afraid that Reason #2 seems more and more likely, i.e. Sigma is giving up on Foveon and having its fun trying to get something from all the research and prototyping expenses - sell a very very limited number of a camera that they know is going to be financially unviable even at $2500. Even if it had really nice special image quality, that will not be so special and enough for most consumers to justify buying it over a D400, D800, Canon 8D, etc. End of experiment.

Usee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,517Gear list
Like?
In reply to mike earussi, May 25, 2011

mike earussi wrote:

Sigma is getting tired of being a camera manufacturer but still wants to recoupe their Foveon investment. So they make a high priced demo camera just to show off their new sensor in hopes some other camera company will either buy the chips from them or make an offer to buy the entire Foveon division.

Remember, you heard it here first.

Hi Mike,

sorry, but people, who can read and understand german, could read it here one day earlier:

http://www.sigmaforum.de/forum/showpost.php?s=d0557af86489cf3207931565836f7291&p=39373&postcount=43

It is mentioned in point c) of my humble attempt to view those crazy things with a little humor...

"c) Die wollen jetzt doch die Kamerasparte möglichst teuer weiterreichen..."

(indeed, they want to sell the camera divison as expensive as possible now)

-

As a private company, they could really ask every price for the SD1.

And they really did!

No matter of being able to pull the money from the lenses to the cameras, as they were used to and regardless of the whole existing customer base...

...but my experience with "the R&D riddler" and some others, already prepared me for more silly actions from this company.

-

Sad but true.

-

Period.
Punkt.

-

U see

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads