SD1 images more dissapointing than price

Started May 20, 2011 | Discussions
Michael Kaminski
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
SD1 images more dissapointing than price
May 20, 2011

My Sigma gear got sold some time ago as well as my Nikon stuff. I'm quite happy I don't have to do this now. Currently I shoot a NEX-5 which delivers to my eyes resolution wise the same imagequality I can see in the SD1 sample gallery.

Concerning Noise and colour: Magenta/green blotches are still there (in shadow detail at ISO 100) the bokeh looks terrible even with the 120-300 2,8.

As far as the customer relationship is concerned, this could have been the 1st camera that would deliver at least for the current user group. There are guys here at the forum who have loyally supported the company, they have supported and counseled new ones who wanted to buy Sigma gear. They are amateurs in the best sense of the word. It could have been a real starting point for getting settled in the market. But rather than delivering to the target group that is willing to buy and supports the company, Sigma targets a user group out of reach and rival products that are in every way many times superior.

I hope very much that this was just a mistake or kind of PR gimmick to get attention. But not of very good tast.

Someone suggested a typo and the price was 10 times lower. At least the number of Sigma users devides by 10 every now and then.
Greets
Michael
PS.: Any Replies please to the NEX forum.

DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,275Gear list
Like?
Re: SD1 images more dissapointing than price
In reply to Michael Kaminski, May 20, 2011

Michael Kaminski wrote:

My Sigma gear got sold some time ago as well as my Nikon stuff. I'm quite happy I don't have to do this now. Currently I shoot a NEX-5 which delivers to my eyes resolution wise the same imagequality I can see in the SD1 sample gallery.

Concerning Noise and colour: Magenta/green blotches are still there (in shadow detail at ISO 100) the bokeh looks terrible even with the 120-300 2,8.

Where did you find a SD1 sample taken with a 120-300 f2.8? The only samples that were released were studio shots taken with the 85mm f1.4 EX.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, May 20, 2011

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Michael Kaminski wrote:

Where did you find a SD1 sample taken with a 120-300 f2.8? The only samples that were released were studio shots taken with the 85mm f1.4 EX.

Alf......

sample gallery is now online, link is in here, URL of the gallery is moving slooowly though, many accessing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=38478079

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
EirikM
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, May 20, 2011
 EirikM's gear list:EirikM's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD15 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
fnoskoimages
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
In reply to EirikM, May 20, 2011

Now i am really happy to see these samples from some of the forum members here.
It makes me proud to be an SD14 owner.

These could have been made with any of the higher-end Canons or Nikons or Sonys....

cheers,
--
Frank

fnoskoimages's gear list:fnoskoimages's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads