Any Canon P&S as a dedicated camcorder?

Started May 18, 2011 | Discussions
curaphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Any Canon P&S as a dedicated camcorder?
May 18, 2011

Was wondering if any of the current Canon Point and Shoot camera's could be used as a dedicated camcorder?
It seems that Sony's HX9 can.

-- hide signature --

Interior British Columbia January 2008

Chris ™
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,188Gear list
Like?
SX30
In reply to curaphoto, May 18, 2011

The SX30 with it's noiseless lens is a top candidate. You have optical zooooom and autofocus too.

I'm happy with it's video, though only 720p, not FullHD.
--
Greetings from Germany

Chris™

Chris ™'s gear list:Chris ™'s gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Canon P&S as a dedicated camcorder?
In reply to curaphoto, May 19, 2011

I wouldn't. Canon's AF system is weak compared to Panasonic and Sony and 720p isn't acceptable imho if video is your primary purpose. You can get a 40" 1080p Sony for about $275 now so I don't know why anyone would limit themselves to an old 720p. That said, the only P&S that can really truly replace a camcorder at this point is probably the Panasonic FZ100. Sony's P&S video is great, but P&S ca don't offer the same features, capabilities, or even hardware of dedicated camcorders. That said, the video has gotten good enough for me that I am willing to sacrifice a bit for the portability of the P&S cam.

-- hide signature --

If you abuse or kill animals, children, or the elderly, you deserve to be tortured and killed.

David Hurt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334Gear list
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, May 19, 2011

I saw a video on here about 3 months ago done with a S95 that was Very impressive.

Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927Gear list
Like?
Re: SX30
In reply to Chris ™, May 19, 2011

The SX30 is better than many camcorder for HD video in the 24-840mm (35mm eqiv) range.
http://www.vimeo.com/15545123
http://www.vimeo.com/15750099
http://www.vimeo.com/15887185
http://www.vimeo.com/16040013

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?
Re: SX30
In reply to Joe Ogiba, May 19, 2011

Both models only offer 720p (and 24 fps I believe) so right out of the gate, they are inferior to any good dedicated camcorder on the market. You can't adjust the shutter speed on either of those cams for video either (though you can on the FZ100). Again, the FZ100 is the only P&S, to my knowledge, that really has a chance of replacing a dedicated camcorder.

Then there is the matter of sound as well. While dedicated camcorders certainly don't have great on-board sound, it is far better than what you get from these P&S cams.

As I said in my previous post though, if you're willing to lose out on some quality and features in the interest of portability, video for some of these P&S cams is excellent. Both Sony and Panasonic do far better with video than Canon though.

-- hide signature --

If you abuse or kill animals, children, or the elderly, you deserve to be tortured and killed.

Chris ™
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,188Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hurt, May 20, 2011

David Hurt wrote:

I saw a video on here about 3 months ago done with a S95 that was Very impressive.

But both the S95 & G12 can't use optical zoom without CHDK and if you use it, you'll notice why it only has digital zoom by default ... the lens is unacceptably loud.
--
Greetings from Germany

Chris™

Chris ™'s gear list:Chris ™'s gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,018
Like?
In reply to Chris ™, May 21, 2011

It's not a current canon model, and it's not up to the standards that some posters demand, but the small size and versatility of my Canon TX1 makes it so convenient to have with me wherever I go, that I am happy to put up with the compromises that the designers had to make to get such capability into such a small machine. Its 39-390 mm optical zoom and auto focus is certainly better than the digital zoom and focus on many small, cheap models with only digital zoom that have appeared in recent years.

But your needs may differ.
--
Cyril

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,352
Like?
TX1 Movies
In reply to Cyril Catt, May 21, 2011

I use my TX1 frequently to catch some short action moments while spending time with family members. Zooms while recording. Excellent for outdoors in good light.
--
Zin

Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,500Gear list
Like?
I recommend SX220/230 HS
In reply to curaphoto, May 21, 2011

I find the results from my SX220 HS more than acceptable.

Full 1920x1080 HD
Full 14x zoom whilst recording

Full range of effects such as miniture mode that can be applied whilst recording.

And great picture quality too.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,018
Like?
Re: TX1 Movies
In reply to Zindanfel, May 21, 2011

Zindanfel wrote:

I use my TX1 frequently to catch some short action moments while spending time with family members. Zooms while recording. Excellent for outdoors in good light.

So do I. And the long reach and autofocus of the zoom makes it useful for grandchildrens' hockey games, where the small lens can poke through the chain link safety netting. Although a lot of folk don't like the Motion JPEG format of its video, with today's relatively cheap, higher capacity SDHC cards, I find it convenient to catch passable postcard size stills of fast moving crowds, kids, etc. by stepping frame by frame through the video clips. Its like a 30 fps burst mode.
--
Cyril

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616
Like?
In reply to curaphoto, May 21, 2011

You know Canon actually MAKES dedicated camcorders, right?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads