AI servo and AF Point

Started May 18, 2011 | Discussions
adonetok
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
AI servo and AF Point
May 18, 2011

After using Canon 60D for more than a month, I found out that in order to get sharper photo, AI Servo is the best choose but for AF point, I still not sure how to chose the best option: center or auto.
Help need.

Dannyboy292
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?
Re: AI servo and AF Point
In reply to adonetok, May 18, 2011

I tend to use center because auto seem to choose the closest thing to you to focus on and you may not want that if your trying to focus on sometong off in the distance.
--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don Madson
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Re: AI servo and AF Point
In reply to adonetok, May 18, 2011

Center point, certainly. With Auto, it might choose something NOT at the center of your attention. I shoot cycling competitions, and always use center-point.

Regards!
Don
--
T'ai Chi Chuan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
http://www.dmadson.photoreflect.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,454Gear list
Like?
Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to adonetok, May 18, 2011

Most people do not know this about Canon AI Servo:

  • AI Servo REQUIRED that you start tracking in the CENTER-POINT 1st!

  • then as your subject moves off-center, the camera will follow it

Many people makes the mistake of initiating AI SERVO when the subject isn't in the center. As the result, 50-70% of the image is out of focus, because the camera wrongly track the initial center-object rather than your actual subject.

Only Canon 7d + Mark1 series can initiate AI SERVO in off-center position. That is why professional sports shooter doesn't bat an eyes upgrading their 40d/50d to a 7d. 7D is an huge advancement in AI SERVO tracking over 20d/30d/40d/50d/60d.

See this canon video for explanation:

adonetok wrote:

After using Canon 60D for more than a month, I found out that in order to get sharper photo, AI Servo is the best choose but for AF point, I still not sure how to chose the best option: center or auto.
Help need.

 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dannyboy292
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?
Re: Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to 007peter, May 18, 2011

nobody is talking about the 7D, its a discussion about the 60D.
--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jitteringjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,030Gear list
Like?
Re: AI servo and AF Point
In reply to adonetok, May 18, 2011

If the subject is moving - use AI servo.
If the subject is stationary, use One shot.

Center point is the best option to use if you want you subject in the center of the frame. If you want to follow the rule of thirds and plan to use center point and recompose, then well that is not good technique. Do be mindful of Peter's comment about starting with AI servo using center point.

Watch the Rudy Winston Video series on EOS auto focus. It is a 3 part series. hopefully this link will work for you. If not Google "Rudy Winston A Look at the Canon autofocus system".

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/?fr_story=023e7711fd0a11717179bc933084e559429d297d&rf=bm

 jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,556Gear list
Like?
Re: Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to Dannyboy292, May 18, 2011

Here is the best AF discussion video I have seen (by Rudy Winston fron Canon):

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/?fr_story=a2b001b4009876d9c3ede34353cb6af0c193bc8f&rf=sitemap

Three parts

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jitteringjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,030Gear list
Like?
Re: Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to aVolanche, May 18, 2011

aVolanche wrote:

Here is the best AF discussion video I have seen (by Rudy Winston fron Canon):

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/?fr_story=a2b001b4009876d9c3ede34353cb6af0c193bc8f&rf=sitemap

Three parts

That's funny - beat ya.

 jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,454Gear list
Like?
Re: Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to Dannyboy292, May 18, 2011

Dannyboy292 wrote:

nobody is talking about the 7D, its a discussion about the 60D.

Do you not READ ENGLISH? Here I'll highlight it for you.

I wrote " Center - because AI......."

I answer the original's poster's Question about CENTER or ALL POINT in 60d.
My answer is CENTER.

I then follow by giving him a technical explanation why CENTER works better with 60d.

You merely mention that center seem to work for you without explanation.

 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,556Gear list
Like?
Re: Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to jitteringjr, May 18, 2011

jitteringjr wrote:

aVolanche wrote:

Here is the best AF discussion video I have seen (by Rudy Winston fron Canon):

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/?fr_story=a2b001b4009876d9c3ede34353cb6af0c193bc8f&rf=sitemap

Three parts

That's funny - beat ya.

That's what I get for typing one-fingered! It's a great series.

Fred

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dannyboy292
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?
Re: Center- because AI Servo is only "activated" in the center 1st, then
In reply to 007peter, May 18, 2011

Looks like you were mentioning the 7D to me

Only Canon 7d + Mark1 series can initiate AI SERVO in off-center position. That is why professional sports shooter doesn't bat an eyes upgrading their 40d/50d to a 7d. 7D is an huge advancement in AI SERVO tracking over 20d/30d/40d/50d/60d.

-

  • select Video #1: Automatic AF point Selection

  • fast forward to 49sec out of 2:24

  • you will understand why canon 7d is such an amazing upgrade

adonetok wrote:

After using Canon 60D for more than a month, I found out that in order to get sharper photo, AI Servo is the best choose but for AF point, I still not sure how to chose the best option: center or auto.
Help need.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Birdman50
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
It depends ...
In reply to adonetok, May 19, 2011

I use all 9 Points Active (Auto) with AI Servo for BIF where the background is not so busy:

Some samples:

I then switch to Center Point Only with AI Servo for sports or shots where the background is contrasty:

The 60D is an awesome value for it's performance and capabilities. All you need to do is practice with it and use the correct AF feature when the situation calls for it.

Good luck!

Bobby K.

adonetok wrote:

After using Canon 60D for more than a month, I found out that in order to get sharper photo, AI Servo is the best choose but for AF point, I still not sure how to chose the best option: center or auto.
Help need.

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RLH1861
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
can anyone clarify something for me?
In reply to 007peter, May 21, 2011

when you say start with CENTER, do you mean with all 9 (on my 40D) points lit up and the point the center on the subject, or doyou mean light up the center point only. I was informed long ago when taking tennispics to use all 9 and let the camera choose. And it seemed to work. However, in this month;s Pop Photo they recommended using center only for sjhooting whaliesin alaska. Since I am going there next month I am very curious.

-- hide signature --

RLH

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,454Gear list
Like?
some clarificaiton
In reply to RLH1861, May 21, 2011

RLH1861 wrote:

when you say start with CENTER, do you mean with all 9 (on my 40D) points lit up and the point the center on the subject, or doyou mean light up the center point only.

Take a closer look at the VIDEO linked above for more detail explanation. It means that in order for Canon 20d/30d/40d/50d/60d AI SERVO to tract focus correctly :

  • You need to framed your subject in the dead CENTER first

  • This tell the camera here is my subject that I want to track/follow

  • then as your subject (birds, people) moves about, the camera will followed

If you don't put your subject in the center first,

  • the camera often get fooled and track the wrong subjects

  • this happen quite frequently in high contrast background

Correction: Canon 9 points AF do not show active AF points during AI SERVO

This is one of my main beef as you have no way to tell which points canon dslr is selecting during shooting. Nikon, on the other hand, will show the active black boxes while it tracks the subject. Canon 7D's improve AF also does this, but you have to enable it in the custom setting.

 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,454Gear list
Like?
Best Shot I'd seen in a long time!
In reply to Birdman50, May 21, 2011

Birdman50 wrote:

Pure Excellence! Best action shot I've seen here in this forum. What lens?

 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
imqqmi
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,473Gear list
Like?
Re: It depends ...
In reply to Birdman50, May 21, 2011

Good advice! In addition to even background situations, if the subject moves eratically or there's lots of wind center af point may have trouble staying locked to the subject. All af point ai servo may do a better job but it does seem a bit slower, at least on a 40D. I prefer to use center point only and resort to all af points when necessary even on a 7D.

Birdman50 wrote:

I use all 9 Points Active (Auto) with AI Servo for BIF where the background is not so busy:

Some samples:

I then switch to Center Point Only with AI Servo for sports or shots where the background is contrasty:

The 60D is an awesome value for it's performance and capabilities. All you need to do is practice with it and use the correct AF feature when the situation calls for it.

Good luck!

Bobby K.

adonetok wrote:

After using Canon 60D for more than a month, I found out that in order to get sharper photo, AI Servo is the best choose but for AF point, I still not sure how to chose the best option: center or auto.
Help need.

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

-- hide signature --
 imqqmi's gear list:imqqmi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads