Sigma 18-48mm lens for NEX

Started May 18, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Myari Regular Member • Posts: 441
Sigma 18-48mm lens for NEX

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Sigma filed a patent in Japan (2011-059293) for what appears to be a 18-48mm lens for NEX cameras (via Photorumors)

Kirill_est Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Sigma 18-48mm lens for NEX

I do not understand Sigma, first they compete with Sony's 30 mm lens which will probably be OK, now they compete with the fine kit zoom. Why not make something different, fill a niche in this sparse E lens market?

npires
npires Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

Because they try and rely on the people that are like ohh would really like that kit lens but it's too expensive oh look there's a sigma that costs less lets get that instead. Of course this all depends on the price they release these lenses at...

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Kirill_est Regular Member • Posts: 358

npires wrote:

Because they try and rely on the people that are like ohh would really like that kit lens but it's too expensive oh look there's a sigma that costs less lets get that instead. Of course this all depends on the price they release these lenses at...

In that case I would love to see their rendition of the 16mm pancake

jazzroy1972 Regular Member • Posts: 172

as long as the most selling nex is with the 18-55 their move is not that smart.

a cheap 18-200 (they make inexpensive ones for all other cameras) or some prime like 28 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 85 f2.8 would be much more interesting and better sellers.

stillrds Regular Member • Posts: 333

Maybe it's a macro zoom?

WyldRage Forum Member • Posts: 70
Collapsibe?

This lens has a range that reminds me of the Samsung NX100 20-50mm collapsible kit lens. I imagine it will be a collapsible lens.

On another note, this isn't the first rumor of a kit zoom from Sigma I've seen. It's assumed it's for the NEX, but what about Sigma's DP range? They have everything ready to make a mirrorless camera, and such a lens would probably its kit lens.

WyldRage's gear list:WyldRage's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
Myari OP Regular Member • Posts: 441

Kirill_est wrote:

I do not understand Sigma, first they compete with Sony's 30 mm lens which will probably be OK, now they compete with the fine kit zoom. Why not make something different, fill a niche in this sparse E lens market?

maybe they will compete on size? This lens might be tiny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads