NYC RAW - X100 Street Photography

Started May 17, 2011 | Discussions
larsomat
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: In your hands, camera doesn't matter
In reply to JL Auch, May 19, 2011

Thanks for the writeup. I find it very interesting. I only registered to this forum to thank you for this.

JL Auch wrote:

I am actually quite surprised by how worked up some people are getting over this post, I find it kind of bizarre actually...

Indeed. People are strange...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
inframan
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,361Gear list
Like?
Your unfortunate comments....
In reply to antoineb, May 19, 2011

reveal your own photographic shortcomings (as both viewer & shooter) rather than provide any informative insight into the OP's posted images.

inframan's gear list:inframan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D5300
inframan
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,361Gear list
Like?
Terrific series...

Beautiful work. I rarely look into DPR fora any more thanks to the pervasiveness of petty & mean-spirited comments like the ones polluting this thread but I'm glad I found these.

Again, superb work.

inframan's gear list:inframan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D5300
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,801Gear list
Like?
Re: Cool but many kids with an iPhone can do it also

antoineb wrote:

or many people with a decent compact

Street photography is very difficult to do well, and the OP did it well.

actually I think a compact superzoom would be a better funner tool, to do all this.

This would be difficult witht a point n shoot. It is easiest with a manual lens that has DOF scales so you can set the hyperfocal distance.

sure there might be a bit more noise but so what it goes with the spirit.

Noise isn't an issue.

the camera would be smaller, lighter, (much) cheaper.

Oly E-pl1 with a legacy lens is cheaper than a lot of prosumer point n shoots.

I'm not at all saying I don't like your shots - I've just seen sooo many like them, "cool street shots" that it's become a cliché style in itself, at least as far as I'm concerned.

The OP's shots are far from cliche, particularly with the double exposures.

And, I don't see anything in your shots that makes me think, wow, the X100 is really worth its ridiculously high asking price.

It isn't worth the price but not because of the OP's picutures.

Sorry

Sonny, you got a lot to learn.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,901Gear list
Like?
In reply to tedolf, May 19, 2011

tedolf wrote:

antoineb wrote:

actually I think a compact superzoom would be a better funner tool, to do all this.

This would be difficult witht a point n shoot. It is easiest with a manual lens that has DOF scales so you can set the hyperfocal distance.

Noise isn't an issue.

I'm not at all saying I don't like your shots - I've just seen sooo many like them, "cool street shots" that it's become a cliché style in itself, at least as far as I'm concerned.

And, I don't see anything in your shots that makes me think, wow, the X100 is really worth its ridiculously high asking price.

Sorry

You almost pulled that off w/o being a condescending ass.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

'Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't.' - Little Big Man

http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Sergio944
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Re: Bravo!

Hi! Your work is so good that you are probably able to produce sensational stuff with a smartphone. Bravo!! and thank you for sharing.

tedolf
Like?
I know but....
In reply to Bob Tullis, May 19, 2011

Bob Tullis wrote:

tedolf wrote:

antoineb wrote:

Noise isn't an issue.

Sorry

You almost pulled that off w/o being a condescending ass.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

'Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't.' - Little Big Man

http://www.bobtullis.com

in the end I just couldn't resist!

Tedolph

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
tarnumf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668
Like?

tedolf wrote:

antoineb wrote:

it actually will be a lot easier. P&S has hyperfocal distance of just few feet, e.g. LX5 at 24mm (EFL) and f2 has it at 7 feet, so everything from 3.5 feet will get in focus.

Yes, if you manage to sell kit lens, but not so much. Most important, P&S will be completely silent.

-- hide signature --
tedolf
Like?
In reply to tarnumf, May 19, 2011

tarnumf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

antoineb wrote:

it actually will be a lot easier. P&S has hyperfocal distance of just few feet, e.g. LX5 at 24mm (EFL) and f2 has it at 7 feet, so everything from 3.5 feet will get in focus.

And exaclty how do you set the hyperfocal distance on a point n shoot (and no cheating, tables and index cards not permitted)?

Nikon p7000 is about $500.00. E-pl1 and legacy lens about $450.00.

Yes, if you manage to sell kit lens, but not so much. Most important, P&S will be completely silent.

E-pl1 is quiet enough. Not much different than an M4.

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

tarnumf
Like?

tedolf wrote:

tarnumf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

antoineb wrote:

And exaclty how do you set the hyperfocal distance on a point n shoot (and no cheating, tables and index cards not permitted)?

LX5 has manual focus option, even with DOF scale on screen

New LX5 was slightly below $400 before Japan disaster

But not completely quiet. I was able to set my LX3 to no sound/no lights mode, except tiny power indicator, that was masked with piece of tape. That let me make pictures in Germany where any cameras are prohibited in places like Neuschwanstein castle.

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

-- hide signature --
JL Auch
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: NYC RAW - X100 Street Photography

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Ill try to answer some of your questions.

mazzuccato, michael, znarf, charlie, amtberg, cork, jonas, orange, gethenderson, toscha, rpm, greg, sproket, liquid, bob, ray, baxters, larsbc, aleo, infra, sergio, to anyone I missed - Thanks all, appreciate it.

tarnumf - It is very interesting, some people love the vignette other people dislike it. It really seems to polarize people. Personally I like they way it looks and that is why I use it.

will - At the moment I am solely using the X100, pondering the sale of the GF1. I really like the camera, but a good optical viewfinder is a must and I was always left wanting. It would be great if Panasonic would realize an OVF for the m4/3's cameras with an electronic overlay.

c. eaton - that was one that just jumps at you. I shoot everything raw and convert in lightroom.

tedolf - i like the idea, for sure. isn't that an 80 equivalent though? or is that minolta a 4/3's lens? Regarding the double exposures, they are actually reflections.

larso- your welcome

All the best,
Jonathan

tedolf
Like?
In reply to tarnumf, May 19, 2011

tarnumf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

tarnumf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

antoineb wrote:

LX5 has manual focus option, even with DOF scale on screen

Now that is nice.

New LX5 was slightly below $400 before Japan disaster

But not completely quiet. I was able to set my LX3 to no sound/no lights mode, except tiny power indicator, that was masked with piece of tape. That let me make pictures in Germany where any cameras are prohibited in places like Neuschwanstein castle.

M3/4 was generally considered quiet enough for street shooting, theaters, etc. My daughter recently used an E-pl1 to shoot an opera and the camera was discrete enough. Note that manual lenses were used and this does quiet down the camera somewhat.

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

-- hide signature --

TEdolph

tedolf
Like?

JL Auch wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Ill try to answer some of your questions.

tedolf - i like the idea, for sure. isn't that an 80 equivalent though? or is that minolta a 4/3's lens? Regarding the double exposures, they are actually reflections.

Yes, it is 80mm equivalent so it would be a little long for street shooting. Some here are using a Nikon35mm f/2.0 I believe which is suprisingly compact for a Nikor. Regarding the reflections, that was very nicely done. I really would like to see what you could do with the GF-1 and a legacy lens-it would be very much like shooting with an Leica M4 I would think.

larso- your welcome

All the best,
Jonathan

Tedolph

William Ing
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?

JL Auch said:

"will - At the moment I am solely using the X100, pondering the sale of the GF1. I really like the camera, but a good optical viewfinder is a must and I was always left wanting. It would be great if Panasonic would realize an OVF for the m4/3's cameras with an electronic overlay."

Jonathan: I know you've seen mention of it many times on this forum, and I realize it sounds like I'm some kind of propagandist (I'm not really, just a very satisfied customer), but have you given serious consideration to the Clearviewer for use on the GF1? My CVs are almost permanently mounted on my LX3 and my GF1, which I use with both native MFT and legacy lenses for reportage and documentary work. Wouldn't presume to tell you what should or shouldn't work for street shooting, but I think the highly compact, foldable CV has quite a few advantages over a fixed 35 or 40mm optical viewfinder. (In fact, I did use 21 and 40mm OVFs on my LX3 and the 40mm OVF on my GF1, and encountered some of the same drawbacks you mentioned earlier, viz., parallax and difficulty determining the focusing point.) The CV confers obvious advantages over an OVF if you ever have occasion to shoot with a zoom lens (in your case unlikely), but you also have the option of viewing all the info available on the LCD or turning off everything but the image itself. Obviously, your parallax and focusing point troubles disappear immediately. I highly recommend the premium version for the GF1:

clearviewer.com

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,342
Like?

antoineb wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I heard some people going on about these Ansel Adams pics and I was like, "dude, how many landscapes have we seen already? Total cliche!"

Tim F 101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
Agreed with tedolf on this.

I'd be more than happy to provide a comparison of the GF1 and the Fuji X-100, right here in this very post. It's very presumptuous for you to assume what I want or don't want.

If you don't mind, please make that a new thread. Most people in this forum would be quite interested to hear how the two cameras compare in the opinion of an apparent expert. If your conclusion favors the Fuji, great, but your thought process is the real value for us here.

tarnumf
Like?

tedolf wrote:

M3/4 was generally considered quiet enough for street shooting, theaters, etc. My daughter recently used an E-pl1 to shoot an opera and the camera was discrete enough. Note that manual lenses were used and this does quiet down the camera somewhat.

For street shooting - in most cases yes, not for quiet places like parks. For theater - only if action is loud enough and with viewfinder, as LCD light is quite irritating for other patrons.

-- hide signature --
William Ing
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?
In reply to William Ing, May 19, 2011

Jonathan:

One more area where I'd like to have your input. Have you found that shutter lag time, i.e., after the half press for pre-focusing, in either the GF1 or X100, was any kind of an issue in your street photography? Did the Fuji show any superiority over the Panny in this regard, or would you call it a wash?

Will

antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,064Gear list
Like?
who knows, inframan?
In reply to inframan, May 19, 2011

I happen to have grown very tired of that way overdone "intellectual guy roams the street with a camera, shoots b&w and over-contrasts the shots, and the shots show nothing, people on the metro, whatever. Most of this could be taken by a robot equipped with a camera, and it's like it's page "x" of "classic photography class 101"

I like photography that, ideally, moves me - or if it doesn't, then some weird technological achievement or very difficult and rare moment.

There's none of this in those shots. None.

But that's just me of course.

Viewer? I think the rule of the game is, if anyone posts a large number of shots here, they should be ready to take honest opinions - and again, these are just individual opinions.

Manners? You'll notice that while I gave a PERSONAL (not universal) opinion on PHOTOGRAPHS, you on the other hand allowed yourself to make negative comments about me as a PERSON. So I guess the bad diplomacy or bad manners are not where you thought they were after all.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
tedolf
Like?
???????
In reply to RJPeter, May 19, 2011

RJPeter wrote:

tedolf wrote:

I am not answering for manogarm but from my perspective this has nothing to do with fanboyism. No one here said anything about u 4/3 cameras and that is the point.

Nevertheless, all this is moot now that the OP has posted his brilliant and detailed comparison of the X100 and the GF1.

All is forgiven and he is welcomed back into the fold.

Can't we all just get along now?

Tedolph,

Minister of Peace

I'm quite happy to lead a peaceful life. I know where you were coming from, but I think you are just being too picky.

Allow a bit more latitude. I saw the OPs photos as being quite relevent here and so did many others. In my mind he never left the fold.

Please calm down and go with the flow, there are far more important problems in the world.
--
Regards,
Peter.
http://gowerphotos.tripod.com

Calm down and go with the flow?

What are you, some sort of subversive?

TEdolph

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads