Epson P-7000

Started May 16, 2011 | Discussions
jamielebeau
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Epson P-7000
May 16, 2011

Does anyone know why B&H put this device as "Discontinued - This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available."? Is there a problem with this device or is there something better coming out soon? Adorama is still selling it but I don't want to buy it if the next best thing is just about to come out. Thank you for your advice.

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 32,974Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson P-7000
In reply to jamielebeau, May 16, 2011

jamielebeau wrote:

Does anyone know why B&H put this device as "Discontinued - This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available."? Is there a problem with this device or is there something better coming out soon? Adorama is still selling it but I don't want to buy it if the next best thing is just about to come out. Thank you for your advice.

The Epson P-7000 and similar PSD devices have been outmoded by inexpensive netbooks and cheap memory cards. IOW, the next best things have been out for a while now.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jamielebeau
Like?
In reply to mamallama, May 16, 2011

Thanks for your feedback. I like the convenience of the P-7000 to backup my images. It's something I could use while on the go (I'm a wedding photographer). I was just wondering if the P-7000 was defective or what not. Thanks again for your feedback.

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 32,974Gear list
Like?

jamielebeau wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I like the convenience of the P-7000 to backup my images. It's something I could use while on the go (I'm a wedding photographer). I was just wondering if the P-7000 was defective or what not. Thanks again for your feedback.

I'm only somewhat familiar with the capabilities of the P-7000 but I know that my less expensive netbook can do on-the-go backup storage of my photos much more reliably and conveniently than my Vosonic PSD. That's why my Vosonic PSD is now just a paperweight.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,341Gear list
Like?

jamielebeau wrote:

Nope, not defective - mamallama is correct. When the P-7000 carried the same retail cost for a small notebook or sub-notebook it looked far less attractive as a backup device. While it may be more convenient b/c it's not something that needs to be booted up & the screen flipped open, a notebook affers far more functionality for close to the same cost.

Mark

jamielebeau
Like?
In reply to Mark B., May 16, 2011

Excellent points! Thanks for your insights in helping me make a wiser buying decision.

RobertBarnett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402Gear list
Like?
In reply to jamielebeau, May 17, 2011

It isn't defective. Way over price and very limited in what it can do for that money, but not defective. It is also an old item (meaning it came out sometime ago.)

Myself I am using an iPad 2 and love it for off loading images and then syncing them to Lightroom. For the money (about the same as the 7000) it does a lot more too. However, the killer problem and one that can't be worked around at least not cheaply and easily is the 64GB of memory. If you as you said do weddings or fashion shoots or something where you are shooting large numbers of high resolution RAW images 64GB goes quick. If they have a 128 or 256GB one for the same price the iPad would be the perfect photographer's buddy. Until then if you need to look at images on the road I would look at a Macbook Air or a Netbook if size is important. Netbook if size and price is important.

My complaint about PC based Netbooks and notebooks is that they are stagnant is their innovation. By now they should have had touch screens, been even smaller and so much more.

Robert
--

The hardest thing about Photography is choosing a camera! After that it is all fun!

RobertBarnett's gear list:RobertBarnett's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS
jamielebeau
Like?
In reply to RobertBarnett, May 18, 2011

Robert, thanks for the feedback. Can the iPad 2 read RAW files? I shoot solely in RAW. I think I would exhaust 64GB of space in one wedding. I mainly want to backup my images throughout the day (not as a means to empty my cards so that I can reuse them). There is no redo when it comes to weddings. I want to know that there is a backup out there if my Sandisk cards fail, or if my camera accidentally drops in water, etc. And I want to be able to do so almost on the run. Weddings don't really have down times. Heck, I barely have time to go use the bathroom during a wedding shoot. I'm a Mac user myself, but the tablet PCs such as the Asus Slate are looking very attractive at the moment. Hmmm. Not much of a choice there, tablets it is then. Thanks again for your advice and feedback! Much appreciated!

RobertBarnett
Like?
In reply to jamielebeau, May 18, 2011

It isn't a raw processor it brings in the JPEG previews from the raw files and shows that. If you edit in an App you are editing that JPEG preview. Right now at least I don't think the iPad is powerful enough nor have enough internal memory (not the 64GB storage memory, but CPU/Processing RAM) to handle RAW. But, it works great if all you need to see is the JPEG preview or if you shoot JPEG.

Using Photo using the Photosmith App ($16.99) you can manage your images, tag them with titles, keywords, color codes, star ratings and more and then import them from the iPad right in to Lightroom with all of that data and this DOES work with the RAW image (though the App shows the JPEG previews on the iPad, but it is the RAW or JPEG images and even video (which the App doesn't show) that transfers to your computer and in to Lightroom. It works great with with Sony A55 and the makers of the App have been very responsive and quick with updates and fixes.

So far I am pretty darn happy, this is what I bought the iPad 2 for. I got the 3G model, though I haven't signed up for 3G service yet (you don't have to until you want it and it is a month to month so you contract) so if I wanted to I could upload images to my SmugMug account out on the road (again, these would be the JPEG previews which is fine since most Photo sites only work with JPEGs anyways.)

Robert
--

The hardest thing about Photography is choosing a camera! After that it is all fun!

Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS
RobertBarnett
Like?
In reply to jamielebeau, May 18, 2011

The Photosmith App works over your home Wi-Fi so you wouldn't be able to transfer to your home computer on the road (that would be killer) however, you could use an App like Dropbox to upload your images (including RAW I believe) to that and it would automatically be synced to your desktop or laptop computer. This would work over 3G on the road.

Shoot your images, take the card out of the camera use the camera connection kit to transfer them to your iPad while you continue to shoot. Once that is done send the images to Dropbox over 3G or even a local Wi-Fi if you have access and your done. Now the transfer of the raw images isn't going to be super fast over 3G or wi-fi, but it is do able and that would give you the backup you want.

The other thing that I find interesting is you could even use those JPEG previews to create a slideshow of some of the images to show off at the end of the wedding. There are lots of possibilities.

Now to be blunt here for me the big down is the transfer speed from the iPad to your home computer. Right now I am using a 3 speed wi-fi router at home and 8GB takes about 40 minutes to transfer. I just got a n speed router and hope that will help. With 3G it could take over an hour to do 8GB I don't know I haven't done that yet. But, it is still an option and things are getting faster. Even without the transfer from the iPad over wi-fi or 3G I could still find a ton of uses for the iPad 2 with my Photography at home and out in the field.

See if you can fiend someone local that has one that you can play with. You could get the Photosmith App and give that a try you would be out the $17 for the app if you didn't go for the iPad, but that is better than being out the price of the iPad 2. Also, I believe Apple does allow returns of the iPad, make sure and you could then try one and see for yourself. Again, you will be out whatever the Apps cost.

I think if more people kept an open mind and actually had a chance to give this a try they would be far more impressed than they think they would be. I have seen quite a few Photographers on the net that use an iPad and some are even professionals. One I can think of is Terry White: http://terrywhite.com/techblog/

Robert
--

jamielebeau
Like?
In reply to RobertBarnett, May 18, 2011

Robert, thanks so much for your input. Those are very interesting points. I'll definitely have to dig into those things you mentioned.

RobertBarnett
Like?
In reply to jamielebeau, May 20, 2011

I just learned that in July Segate is coming out with a battery powered (5 hours active use) 500GB hard drive that will work with the iPad wirelessly for $199. You can see it at Amazon.com at:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/dp/B004Z0S7K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305856238&sr=8-1

This looks promising. You can access it from you iPad from up to 30 feet. It handles the wi-fi part on its own, meaning you can take it on the road. This really changes things for the iPad and digital photography on the go. You now have your backup and depending on their iPad app for it, it could be a very easy backup process.

Robert
--

RobertBarnett
Like?
In reply to RobertBarnett, May 20, 2011

Apparently there is also a CF card reader available for the iPad as well. Terry White talks about it on his blog. I posted the link to his blog a post or so back. So if you need CF card support it looks like it is there.

Robert
--

luka3rd
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to mamallama, Nov 3, 2012

You are boring.... all of you that compare the p-7000 with laptops, netbooks and what not. It is completely different thing AND completely worth the money!!!

No netbook or simmilar thing will fit in bag pockets, have that great 4 color screen, is build that tough, have enough memory, is that fast - or with all of that is that cheap!!!

Maybr true photographers will understand what I am talking about... and no laptop or something like that is replacement. P-7000 was something for what people didn't have understanding, but some did. Like venerable Nikkor 70-180 Micro!

What is better: TV card in a PC or TV set?

I could write about P-7000's superiority for days...

-- hide signature --

Luka Koprivica
photographer

luka3rd's gear list:luka3rd's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
eleanorea
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to luka3rd, Apr 9, 2013

This is April 2013....I have traveled to 65 countires and always with an Epson downloader. I currently have the 7000 and 3000 in case I need it. I hate carrying a laptop and the required backup drive in case it crashes!  The Epson is great...fast, reliable. I can do obvious culling every day because it can enlarge details.

I can stick it in my rolling camera bag...never out of sight enroute. Only drawback is not being able to view video taken with SLRs,,but it shows it was downloaded and I know it's there.

Just plug into desktopat home and I'm ready for Photoshop!

eleanorea's gear list:eleanorea's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads