Time-lapse device for NEX 5

Started May 15, 2011 | Discussions
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Time-lapse device for NEX 5
In reply to Bid, Aug 4, 2011

I'd recommend the Eye-Fi I bought one this week and gave it a test. Transfers pretty fast when connected ad-hoc even on 11g. I suspect 11n will be much faster. Worth it imo as you'll be able to review your photos instead of waiting for the time lapse to finish.

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bid
Bid
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Re: Time-lapse device for NEX 5
In reply to Bid, Aug 5, 2011
data2000
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: DONE! behold: TEMPUS NEX, Remote Time-Lapse :)
In reply to GVK79, Aug 17, 2011

I also received a broken item and now forced to file a dispute with pay pal.
Beware if you order this item that you might get a cheap item that is broken.

GVK79 wrote:

Just got mine, but it doesn't work. I emailed tempus@bymac.org and the email is down. I realllllly hope this is not a scam! I'm getting worried that somebody just cheated me out of $69...

data2000's gear list:data2000's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5
tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
Astrus = Super set of Tempus
In reply to macsoft, Nov 28, 2012

I checked out the Astrus remote also. Though its to be used for bulb mode, if you use it in any other mode other than bulb mode, it can function as a tempus.

For example, lets say I want to take a shot every 10 minutes, on a short shutter speed(chosen by camera).

I set astrus to take 10 minute shot.

Astrus fill trigger the shutter thinking cam to be in bulb mode.

10 minutes later, it will trugger shutter again

3 seconds pass

it again takes a shot

And then 10 minutes later, there is another shot.

So it will take two shots every 10 minutes, and then 3 seconds after 10 minutes.

This means Astrus makes much better sense

What say?

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: Astrus = Super set of Tempus
In reply to tsk1979, Dec 5, 2012

Hello tsk,

The 2 remotes have different functions.
with TEMPUS, you set TIME BETWEEN PHOTOS on the remote, and it will make your camera take a picture from TIME to TIME. Better suited for time-lapse photography.
With ASTRUS  you don't control time between photos, you first set your camera to BULB mode, and with ASTRUS you control EXPOSURE TIME. So you can get photos with 30 min exposure for example. most camera only allow 30 seconds. with this remote you get as far as 30 minutes. It also has a repeat function, so it will take an photo with the amount of exposure time you choose, and it will repeat the order again and again until you turn it off.
ASTRUS is better suited for ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY where long exposures are need. You can take pictures of the night sky with star-trails.
The best way to explain it is with an example:
When you use TEMPUS, and  you set it for 10 seconds  interval between photos, for example, it will:
- Send IR signal to camera
- wait 10 seconds before repetition
If your camera is in normal remote mode, it will take a picture every 10 seconds.
When you use ASTRUS, and  you set it for a 2 minute exposure time, for example (your camera set in BULB mode), it will:
- Send IR signal to camera to open shutter
- wait 2 minutes
- Send IR signal to camera to close shutter
- wait 3 seconds before repetition
- wait 2 minutes
- wait 2 minutes
ASTRUS gets you  2 minute exposure photos, with a 3 second interval between closing and opening the shutter for the next photo.

If as you try to use ASTRUS NOT in bulb mode to try to do time-lapse, you won't get constant intervals between photos. because astrus has to trigger 2 times: to open shutter and to close shutter. So, if you set it to 10 sec interval and don't use bulb mode, what you'll get is:

- takes photo

- waits 10 sec

- take photo

- waits 3 sec

- take photo

- waits 10 sec

... and so on.

Hope this could help!

macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: DONE! behold: TEMPUS NEX, Remote Time-Lapse :)
In reply to data2000, Mar 10, 2013

Hi guys,

This post has almost 2 years and we keep getting "scared" customers about this post.

To the people that got a broken while shipped item, please post to the forum how the situation turned out. If not, people will be thinking that the got scammed somehow and that is not the case.

Everyone who has got a broken-during-shipping item got a new item free of charge, or wore refunded.

Almost 2 years after and more than  1000 happy TEMPUS customers,  i don't really think its fair that people only came here to post the problem, but not that it had resolution.

Thank you

tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
In reply to macsoft3, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the answer. One more question. What if the camera is on a tripod. is it possible to attach the remote to the lens barrel or camera body using some velcro?

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
macsoft4
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
In reply to tsk1979, Apr 14, 2013

Yap, moste people velcro it the the grip, just bellow the IR receiver on the camera.

There is also a remote that combines both TEMPUS and ASTRUS, its called T&A http://tanda.bymac.org

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads