Err 01 - Communications between the camera and the lens... (both 7D and 60D)

Started May 12, 2011 | Discussions
jordy2324
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Err 01 - Communications between the camera and the lens... (both 7D and 60D)
May 12, 2011

So while I was shooting this past Saturday, I had this error:

"Err 01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts."

pop up on my camera.

At the time, I had my Canon 17-55 lens on my 7D. I then tried the lens on my 60D. Same thing.

I've done a little googleing... and many people have suggested trying to manually clean the lens contacts. However, the most recent post I found on this was a few years old. Can anyone give me feedback/tips/advice on trying this method?

Or, is it better to send it to Canon (or a local camera shop) to have it repaired. How much would it cost to repair the lens?

Thanks!

Peace On Earth
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?
Re: Err 01 - Communications between the camera and the lens... (both 7D and 60D)
In reply to jordy2324, May 12, 2011

same issues, same thing on 450d and 60d. I have cleaned the contacts but still is happening. I think it could be due to moisture where you shoot. Turn it off, then try again. Sometimes it works for a number of shots, then is happening again.

not sure if polishing the contact would be the permanent solution ... the contact could be oxidised by the water vapour perhaps ? just a guess though .

sorry cannot help you more than this ...

cheers

jordy2324 wrote:

"Err 01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts."

pop up on my camera.

At the time, I had my Canon 17-55 lens on my 7D. I then tried the lens on my 60D. Same thing.

I've done a little googleing... and many people have suggested trying to manually clean the lens contacts. However, the most recent post I found on this was a few years old. Can anyone give me feedback/tips/advice on trying this method?

Or, is it better to send it to Canon (or a local camera shop) to have it repaired. How much would it cost to repair the lens?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

http://www.holeepassion.com .. photo gallery coming soon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hdngo1
Contributing MemberPosts: 940
Like?
Re: Err 01 - Communications between the camera and the lens... (both 7D and 60D)

I have the same problem a while back with my 17-85. It turn out teh IS is bad, I wouldn't clean the contact to much because the gold provide better contact. Good luck.

jordy2324 wrote:

pop up on my camera.

Thanks!

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,742Gear list
Like?

Turn IS off and see if you still have the problem.
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
bikerbrub
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, May 12, 2011

I got the same error message with my 17-85mm. Eventually the lens wouldn't focus anymore (kept searching). I ended up getting another lens. Not exaxtly sure what was wrong with it since I traded it in on the replacement.

Are you getting this message with other lenses?

bikerbrub's gear list:bikerbrub's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, May 13, 2011

Since the problem occurs with each camera then the lens itself is at fault. Could be the electronics in the lens is faulty. If you like the lens I recommend to send it to Canon for repair. You might be surprised that it won't cost that much and cheaper than buying a new one.

jordy2324
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
In reply to bikerbrub, May 13, 2011

I'm not getting the error message with other lenses. Just this one.

shuterup
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, Jun 19, 2013

Yes... I have a Canon 550D and i am facing this Err 01 error when i connect Tamron 90MM lens anyone please help!!!

Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,787Gear list
Like?
(a) try with IS off, (b) may be bad ribbon cable in the lens.
In reply to jordy2324, Jun 19, 2013

jordy2324 wrote:

pop up on my camera.

Thanks!

As another poster suggested, it could be the IS unit has gone bad.  See if it works w/o the error with IS off.

Or it could be a fault in a ribbon cable inside the lens.  These flex w/zoom and the fine wires in them finally break.  Common problem with several zoom lens models.  If you're handy with fine electronics and lens disassemble/reassemble you can find a replacement cable cheap and DIY.  But I'd have it done professionally. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
MiniMayhem
Like?
Re: (a) try with IS off, (b) may be bad ribbon cable in the lens.
In reply to Lemming51, Jul 17, 2013

Hi- I've been searching an answer for a similar problem and came across the suggestion to shoot in AV mode at the highest possible f value and then to start shooting at lower values and you should find it soon works like normal. Hope that helps, it worked for me!

Newtophotography
Like?
In reply to MiniMayhem, 9 months ago

MiniMayhem wrote:

Hi- I've been searching an answer for a similar problem and came across the suggestion to shoot in AV mode at the highest possible f value and then to start shooting at lower values and you should find it soon works like normal. Hope that helps, it worked for me!

Thanks for the above tip! This was the only method that has worked for me so far. I have just bought my first DSLR and invested in a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 at the recommendation of a photographer friend.  I had this err01 after a few days of use.... But so far after using the above tip it looks like it might be working again.... fingers crossed it still works tomorrow.

dallasjj
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Newtophotography, 6 months ago

Newtophotography wrote:

MiniMayhem wrote:

Thanks for the above tip! This was the only method that has worked for me so far. I have just bought my first DSLR and invested in a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 at the recommendation of a photographer friend. I had this err01 after a few days of use.... But so far after using the above tip it looks like it might be working again.... fingers crossed it still works tomorrow.

I had this problem with a Canon 5D MKIII and a 24mm f 1.4. I found a YouTube video for the fix even though he was fixing the problem with a Rebel T2i. His fix worked. The process seems obscure but here it is:

Turn off camera
Remove lens
Turn on camera and take two pictures with no lens
Turn off camera
Replace lens without turning all the way into the lock position
Turn on camera and take one picture
Turn off camera
Turn lens the rest of the way to its locked position
Turn on camera and take picture [error 01 should be gone]

-- hide signature --

Jack in Miami

dallasjj
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, 6 months ago

I found this fix on YouTube and it worked for my 5DMKIII and a Canon 24mm 1.4. The YouTube article was for a Rebel T2i. The process he used and I followed is:

Turn off camera
Remove lens
Turn on camera and take two pictures with no lens
Turn off camera
Replace lens without turning all the way into the lock position
Turn on camera and take one picture
Turn off camera
Turn lens the rest of the way to its locked position
Turn on camera and take picture [error 01 should be gone]

-- hide signature --

Jack in Miami

paultomasi
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, 6 months ago

Hi. I am completely new to DSLRs.

I just bought a Canon EOS 450D off eBay. I bought an additional lens, Canon EF 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Mark II, from a different seller which shows ERR 01... when in use.

The contacts look fine and I tried the method suggested on YouTube by Dominic Hatje, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qwrWbS0d0, but I am still getting this error intermitantly.
Q1) What advice would members of this forum give?
Q2) Is there a standard procedure for testing DSLR lenses to confirm it's proper function?
Thank you for any advice and or help you are able to offer.

Keith Williamson
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
In reply to paultomasi, 6 months ago

I had the same problem with my 24-105L. Cleaning the contacts with a soft tissue (not an eraser) did nothing. Remember they are gold plated and so are not subject to corrosion.

As one poster has already said, the problem is usually the ribbon that communicates to the aperture control in lenses that extend as they zoom. With time they become brittle and need to replaced. That was the case with mine.

As you have probably found, "snake oil" cures rarely work. You may as well try sprinkling holy water on the lens and saying a few prayers as waste your time with them.

Keith Williamson's gear list:Keith Williamson's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
freec
Like?
In reply to Keith Williamson, 2 months ago

I started having this error a few weeks ago.  I tried swapping out the lens for another one of my lenses but was still getting the same error.  I had the camera serviced by the store where I bought it and when it came back they claimed to have "replaced DC/DC PCB ASS'Y, repaired contacts unit, cleaned, checked and adjusted".  The camera worked fine for less than a month and then the error started again.  I tried the technique explained above, but it didn't work.  Any advice?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads