this is the new lens for NEX, will be released later this month

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: New 3.5/30 Macro Lens from SONY for NEX
In reply to eddieaus, May 11, 2011

eddieaus wrote:

Wow, that is quite a bit different than the mockup. It makes me wonder what the other lenses will look like???

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eddieaus
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, May 11, 2011

what other lenses?

headofdestiny
Like?

Sony has been labeling the lens on the far left as the 30 macro, and it appears smaller in this pic (and has a narrower focus ring):

headofdestiny
Like?

-edit- Whoops, I mean a wider focus ring.

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?

Later this month? Source please

eddieaus wrote:

CatalinArghir
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

Ok, this is the stupidest lens ever... they should make it a f2 lens not a macro... Also, they should bring a 20/2.8. Samsung has way better lens offerings.

headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to CatalinArghir, May 11, 2011

I shoot manual lenses, so it doesn't matter much to me, but, outside of the Zeiss 24, I'd trade for the Samsung NX lens roadmap.

Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?

So...OSS or no OSS in this lens??? I know it's a small focal lenght...but hey, I want sharp pictures without using a tripod, keeping me holding the breath or being dependent on Shutter speed. If no, maybe I will pass this lens unless it's cheap, and that's not going to be the case I'm afraid. Waiting for the flash unit

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to Rooru S, May 11, 2011

Rooru S wrote:

So...OSS or no OSS in this lens??? I know it's a small focal lenght...but hey, I want sharp pictures without using a tripod, keeping me holding the breath or being dependent on Shutter speed. If no, maybe I will pass this lens unless it's cheap, and that's not going to be the case I'm afraid. Waiting for the flash unit

keep the shutter speed over 1/50 with this lens, and the pics should "sharp"

Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to Myari, May 11, 2011

Will consider that..

Somebody with good Photoshop skills to compare the SEL16F28 to the SEL30M35? Maybe by taking as reference the mount.

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
In reply to CatalinArghir, May 11, 2011

CatalinArghir wrote:

Ok, this is the stupidest lens ever... they should make it a f2 lens not a macro... Also, they should bring a 20/2.8. Samsung has way better lens offerings.

If the Zeiss 24mm f1.7 is reasonably priced, then this lens is a nice addition to the Nex lineup. But I'd rather buy a fully manual lens like the Canon FDn 50mm 3.5 macro for macro work anyway--you can buy those used under $60.

Does seem odd that Sony's small primes for its ultra small Nex body are rather oddball though...a cheaply made 16mm and now a f3.5 macro. Strange priorities for the first lenses out of the gate.

Clicked
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
In reply to Alupang, May 11, 2011

A bit odd, yes, but it makes sense in a way. With the flipping screen, NEX is an ideal macro camera and for macro, especially with the Live View screen you don't need 1.7 or 2.0 apertures.
Or well, 'ideal', hmm, apart from the silly only-auto macro setting that is.

I wouldn't buy it though. Old manual macro glass is a much more interesting option.

Also, I wonder whether this lens communicates a preference-to-macro-setting to the camera. Not that it would make a difference, but still. I suppose many users would want/expect to see that tulip on their screen while shooting the mushroom.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,695Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rooru S, May 11, 2011

Rooru S wrote:

Will consider that..

Somebody with good Photoshop skills to compare the SEL16F28 to the SEL30M35? Maybe by taking as reference the mount.

Below is to scale, using the mount as as a reference.

It should, imho, protrude about 15-20mm beyond the 16mm (to reach 30mm focal length), not accounting for lens optics, but it appears to be a little extra, maybe the scale is off? Or worse, the original pic is a photoshop in itself . . . ?

It does seem in line with the mockups. The 30mm fits about halfway between the 16mm and the 18-55mm

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,471Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, May 11, 2011

Maybe something smaller from the 'other guys' (Sigma, etc), he?
--
Rube
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71881102@N00/

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Mockup means fake.

It always makes me chuckle when people think the final product will look like the "mock-up". Mock-up lenses are like concept cars at auto-shows.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
In reply to Alupang, May 11, 2011

Alupang wrote:

CatalinArghir wrote:

If the Zeiss 24mm f1.7 is reasonably priced, then this lens is a nice addition to the Nex lineup. But I'd rather buy a fully manual lens like the Canon FDn 50mm 3.5 macro for macro work anyway--you can buy those used under $60.

Does seem odd that Sony's small primes for its ultra small Nex body are rather oddball though...a cheaply made 16mm and now a f3.5 macro. Strange priorities for the first lenses out of the gate.

First off, IMHO 35mm is too short for a macro. It means you need to put the lens almost touching the subject. I love Tamron's 60mm macro and Sony's 100mm macro, and have several friends who prefer longer 180mm macros.

Add to that the fact that many use macros as portrait lenses too but this one will not work well for that at all. It's too slow and a little short and does not have IS.

Macro lenses are also known for being sharp at max aperture, but lenses that are sharp at F/3.5 are a dime a dozen.

headofdestiny
Like?
Re: Mockup means fake.
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 11, 2011

Of course the final product is usually a bit different than the mockups. However, despite various differences in switches, finishes, focus rings, etc, the lengths of Sony mockups are usually pretty accurate. With NEX lenses, the size is pretty important, and, if anything, I would have hoped that the actual 30mm was smaller than the mockup, but it is clearly larger.

rodderslw
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?

I don't get it. Why is Sony bringing out this and not a nice fast or even moderatly fast pancake 30mm prime? This would do justice to a compact camera with a big sensor. Look how well the Panasonic 20mm 1.7mm is helping to drive the m43 cameras. I did not know the market was crying out for a 30mm macro? I'm looking to buy a Nex 5...but keep waiting for some real lenses.

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony a6000 +3 more
WyldRage
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Mockup means fake.
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 11, 2011

Don't forget that a render is also a "fake". For exemple, this render of the 30mm macro looks to me like the kit zoom, without the zoom ring. How hard would it be for someone to replace that ring with the grey barrel in photoshop?

WyldRage's gear list:WyldRage's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads