D5100 setting white balance

Started May 5, 2011 | Discussions
downtownfish
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
D5100 setting white balance
May 5, 2011

I am coming back to Nikon after having a Micro 4/3's camera. I am having trouble setting the white balance. I can only use the presets or do a custom white balance by taking a picture. Is the no option to manually change it buy kelvin rating?

I am getting terrible results with aquarium photography. Is my only option shooting RAW and setting the white balance that way?

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
Re: D5100 setting white balance
In reply to downtownfish, May 5, 2011

downtownfish wrote:

I am coming back to Nikon after having a Micro 4/3's camera. I am having trouble setting the white balance. I can only use the presets or do a custom white balance by taking a picture. Is the no option to manually change it buy kelvin rating?

I am getting terrible results with aquarium photography. Is my only option shooting RAW and setting the white balance that way?

There does not seem to be any Kelvin setting. However, you can tweak the default values in the Shooting menu. Highlight for example "Incandescent" and press the right arrow. You will get a grid, where you can push it towards different colours. Does that help?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Peters
Senior MemberPosts: 1,326
Like?

i dont think there is a kalvin scale, which micro 4/3 did you have? Why'd you come back??

downtownfish wrote:

downtownfish
Like?
In reply to Kevin Peters, May 5, 2011

Yes that helps a little bit. I am at work so don't have time to try it now, but it seems like it will help. When I take a picture of the fish tank it seems to make it more blue than it really is.

Anyway, I have the olympus e-p1. I still have it but sold both the kit lens and the 17mm 2.8 to buy the d5100. I enjoy it and its fun playing with all the old manual lenses. It really does kill me that these m4/3 bodys meter with any lens attched to it, where my nikon will not. I knew this before hand so its not a big deal. I really have to work for the right exposure now when I use my 105mm manual focus lens.

But as far as the WB I thought it would be there. I guess I should start doing everything in RAW like I should have been from the start. Damn I am starting to regret not throwing down the extra cash for the 7000.

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?

downtownfish wrote:

But as far as the WB I thought it would be there. I guess I should start doing everything in RAW like I should have been from the start. Damn I am starting to regret not throwing down the extra cash for the 7000.

To be honest, I thought the Kelvin setting was there too, but as I shoot RAW, I had not looked for it much. The manual is pretty clear however.

If you still have the option to upgrade to D7000, you may want to do compare the cameras carefully and see if it is worth it. If the option is gone, try to concentrate on the advantages of the D5100: light weight and swivel screen. They are not to be forgotten. Besides, the D7000 is not a perfect camera either. No matter which camera you buy, you will have to work around its limitations - it is just a matter of seeing which limitations are acceptable and which ones are not.

downtownfish
Like?
In reply to mlewan, May 5, 2011

I thought I weighed my options but I missed that the 5100 did not have kelvin setting. I mostly shoot in JPEG, so the kelvin scale did help a lot. The no metering I can live with since I normally only use it for macro so most of the time I have time to look at the photo I just took and adjust exposure accordingly. The no screw drive was an issue for me, but if the 50mm is as good I hope this will be of no issue either. I wish I could use the 80-200 but hey maybe one day I can afford the 70-200.

Abhijith
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to downtownfish, Jun 8, 2011

I am not sure whether this is what you are looking for, but in the menu, if you goto the white balance and press the right button on the dial, it gives u a grid wherein you can customize more. There are more manual options there.

vizisiklo
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to downtownfish, Feb 6, 2012

It' s a bit tricky. First you have to set the white balance with the "i" button on the right to custom. After this, you can define your custom WB with the menu button on the left! The white balance setting will be available now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads