FS100 for $4,999 May

Started May 2, 2011 | Discussions
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
FS100 for $4,999 May
May 2, 2011

Andy Shipsides (Manager at AbelCine) tweets

http://twitter.com/andyshipsides

"Sony news today the FS100 will be available at the end of May for $4,999 w/o lens and $5,599 with lens"

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: FS100 for $4,999 May
In reply to Myari, May 2, 2011

that's an amazing price, in direct competition with panasonic AF100

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,393Gear list
Like?
Re: FS100 for $4,999 May
In reply to Myari, May 2, 2011

Awesome. End of May is way earlier than i thought. And, the price is what i expected since the retail price was always going to be lower than the list price.

Now, just have to wonder about the Canada ship dates and pricing.

Myari wrote:

Andy Shipsides (Manager at AbelCine) tweets

http://twitter.com/andyshipsides

"Sony news today the FS100 will be available at the end of May for $4,999 w/o lens and $5,599 with lens"

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,753Gear list
Like?
Re: FS100 for $4,999 May
In reply to jazzroy1972, May 2, 2011

jazzroy1972 wrote:

that's an amazing price, in direct competition with panasonic AF100

Af100 has some extra stuff (like ND filters and HD-SD) but FS100 has better sensor and is much smaller.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Re: FS100 for $4,999 May
In reply to ET2, May 2, 2011

It will all come down to whether there are any visible signs of aliasing. Downsampling is the Achille's heel of these digital sensors, though it's a good start that the NEX-FS100 doesn't take stills.

 focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
draganflyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
Re: FS100 for $4,999 May
In reply to Jogger, May 3, 2011

if our dollar stays where it is it may be worthwhile ordering from south of the border.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to Myari, May 3, 2011
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KEITH-C
Forum ProPosts: 14,131
Like?
Re: B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to Myari, May 3, 2011

In times defined by a damaged economy this Video camera is only going to have a limited appeal to Pros's & well heeled amateurs.

Sony have had the misfortune to have released several new models just as the market has flat-lined. In the UK , at least , this model will be conspicuous by its absence from most outlets.
--
Keith-C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?
Re: B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to KEITH-C, May 3, 2011

KEITH-C wrote:

In times defined by a damaged economy this Video camera is only going to have a limited appeal to Pros's & well heeled amateurs.

Well maybe that is because this IS a pro camera, not aimed at the amateur.

Sony have had the misfortune to have released several new models just as the market has flat-lined. In the UK , at least , this model will be conspicuous by its absence from most outlets.

As every pro equiptment it will be for sale in pro shops only. I o agree times are hard for camera makers/sellers now!

-- hide signature --

Keith-C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
Re: B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to KEITH-C, May 3, 2011

KEITH-C wrote:

In times defined by a damaged economy this Video camera is only going to have a limited appeal to Pros's & well heeled amateurs.

Sony have had the misfortune to have released several new models just as the market has flat-lined. In the UK , at least , this model will be conspicuous by its absence from most outlets.

Want to bet? The only direct competitor to this cam is Pana AF100 and DSLRs/Hybrids. There is nothing cheaper than it with a large sensor (except Sony's own VG10 that is a consumer model). This camera will be very popular among pros (not consumers) who have a low budget (weddings, commercials, music videos, etc).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,393Gear list
Like?
Re: B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to Myari, May 3, 2011

Myari wrote:

KEITH-C wrote:

In times defined by a damaged economy this Video camera is only going to have a limited appeal to Pros's & well heeled amateurs.

Sony have had the misfortune to have released several new models just as the market has flat-lined. In the UK , at least , this model will be conspicuous by its absence from most outlets.

Want to bet? The only direct competitor to this cam is Pana AF100 and DSLRs/Hybrids. There is nothing cheaper than it with a large sensor (except Sony's own VG10 that is a consumer model). This camera will be very popular among pros (not consumers) who have a low budget (weddings, commercials, music videos, etc).

For sure. If the cost of the camera is worrying you, then this isnt the camera for you. The cost of a good set of primes/fast zooms will be much more than 5k itself. Add in good microphones, memory, maybe an external HDMI recorder, rails, follow focus, matte box, ND filters, lighting, etc, etc.. and the cost of the actual camera is minimal for the working professional making money off it.

For everyone else, yea, its darn expensive. Just stick with your T3i, NEX, or D5100.. they take great videos too.

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
Re: B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to Jogger, May 4, 2011

Jogger wrote:

Myari wrote:

KEITH-C wrote:

In times defined by a damaged economy this Video camera is only going to have a limited appeal to Pros's & well heeled amateurs.

Sony have had the misfortune to have released several new models just as the market has flat-lined. In the UK , at least , this model will be conspicuous by its absence from most outlets.

Want to bet? The only direct competitor to this cam is Pana AF100 and DSLRs/Hybrids. There is nothing cheaper than it with a large sensor (except Sony's own VG10 that is a consumer model). This camera will be very popular among pros (not consumers) who have a low budget (weddings, commercials, music videos, etc).

For sure. If the cost of the camera is worrying you, then this isnt the camera for you. The cost of a good set of primes/fast zooms will be much more than 5k itself. Add in good microphones, memory, maybe an external HDMI recorder, rails, follow focus, matte box, ND filters, lighting, etc, etc.. and the cost of the actual camera is minimal for the working professional making money off it.

See the video forums. There are many "pros" who want F3 ($13,000) but say it's outside their budget. They will however pick $5000 FS100 instead.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Re: B&H shows it as $4,999 too now
In reply to Myari, May 4, 2011

There's tons more info, and great sample videos, at the NEX-FS100 User Group:

http://www.nxcamhd.info

Corresponding Facebook and Twitter feeds:

http://facebook.com/nxcam
http://twitter.com/nexfs100

 focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads