Canon G10/11/12 Shutter counter

Started May 1, 2011 | Discussions
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?
Canon G10/11/12 Shutter counter
May 1, 2011

I have a G10. I have been bidding on a G12 on E-Bay and most of the sellers give a shutter count: The number of times the shutter has been tripped to take a picture.

I have looked thru the Owner's Manual and can find no mention of how to get the "Shutter Count."
How does one do that???

Thanks

G

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Doug Gabler
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?
Re: Canon G10/11/12 Shutter counter
In reply to panamforeman, May 1, 2011

If the numbering sequence is set to continues the total shutter count should be relatively close to the numbering sequence of the photos on the SD card. Of course that is as long as someone hasn't stuck a SD card in from another camera with a higher shutter count, page 221 in the manual. Then the camera will start counting at that higher number. Then someone could have reset the count on the numbering scheme. I think Canon can tell with there software. Of course it is E-Bay and I guess you are just going to have to trust them.

panamforeman wrote:

I have a G10. I have been bidding on a G12 on E-Bay and most of the sellers give a shutter count: The number of times the shutter has been tripped to take a picture.

I have looked thru the Owner's Manual and can find no mention of how to get the "Shutter Count."
How does one do that???

Thanks

G

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?
Procedure documented on Wiki CHDK

panamforeman wrote:

How does one do that???

Visit the CHDK site, search for the procedure to confirm firmware versions, it will also show you the actual shutter count of the camera. It seems to work on almost every Canon P&S made.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Basically, you place a file on your SD card with a specific name, push some buttons while powering on the camera, and the info gets displayed.

PS: It's rare to find a camera for sale with an accurate shutter count. I have three Canon cameras that were purchased used. One was very close to the stated shutter count, one was off about 1,000 shots, and the third was way off by almost 6,000 shots. Unless you can inspect the camera before purchase it's going to be a roll of the dice.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +17 more
RayHff
Regular MemberPosts: 352
Like?

This should work on the G series. (I know it works on the G11.)

Using an SD card reader, put a blank card in the reader, and create a new, empty folder named VERS.REQ at the root level of the data card. (e.g. if the drive letter the reader uses for the card is "G:" then the file will be G:\VERS.REQ and not G:\DCIM\VERS.REQ or whatever.)

Put that card in the G, then start in Preview mode.

Hold down the SET button and press DISPLAY

The Firmware Version will display.

Repeat the above step and the second screen will display more internal version info.

Repeat again and the third screen will display an item "Total Shoot:" followed by a number. The number is the total number of shots by the camera.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,657Gear list
Like?
In reply to RayHff, May 1, 2011

RayHff wrote:

Using an SD card reader, put a blank card in the reader, and create a new, empty folder named VERS.REQ at the root level of the data card. (e.g. if the drive letter the reader uses for the card is "G:" then the file will be G:\VERS.REQ and not G:\DCIM\VERS.REQ or whatever.)

Repeat the above step and the second screen will display more internal version info.

Repeat again and the third screen will display an item "Total Shoot:" followed by a number. The number is the total number of shots by the camera.

To the OP.. the above is the way...very easy really although of course to do this you have to have the camera in your hands.. hardly likely if it's an Ebay purchase....

But if the Shutter Count IS stated in the Ebay ad.. then I suppose if you did check it after buying it... and found it vastly different.. you have a good case for a return or a report to Ebay for mis-Selling.

-- hide signature --

eric-UK
Staffordshire

Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
In reply to ericN2, May 2, 2011

ericN2 wrote:

RayHff wrote:

To the OP.. the above is the way...very easy really although of course to do this you have to have the camera in your hands.. hardly likely if it's an Ebay purchase....

But if the Shutter Count IS stated in the Ebay ad.. then I suppose if you did check it after buying it... and found it vastly different.. you have a good case for a return or a report to Ebay for mis-Selling.

Most interesting. You might be able to ask the seller to do that...

Just tried it on an old Powershot A640, it gave me 31 frames, a bit short of the mark, I wonder if it resets if there are no batteries in it for a long time, 12 months+

Interestingly, it also displays "ZoomLensError". The front did take a hit, and although working ok now, may have stopped the lens zooming completely at one time...

(don't worry, I shan't try to sell it on ebay without mentioning that !)

adid1
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
In reply to RayHff, May 2, 2011

Tnx Ray 4 the info, my G12 I bought new about 6 weeks ago shows:
Firmware - 1.00e
Adj Ver 007
Build 19 Sep 2010
PID 320F NT D
Sub Cpu 0.04
Mecha 2.09

my shutter count = 999

RayHff wrote:

jmcarp
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
In reply to RayHff, May 2, 2011

RayHff wrote:

This works on my G10, SX20, and A590, but not on the A520.

Rob Bernhard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734
Like?
In reply to panamforeman, May 3, 2011

I'm trying to figure out why you think the shutter count actually means something. You have nothing to reference it to, so the number has no practical value.

There are far more important things to worry about when buying a used camera.

MisterPootieCat
Like?
Just curious
In reply to Rob Bernhard, May 4, 2011

Rob Bernhard wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why you think the shutter count actually means something. You have nothing to reference it to, so the number has no practical value.

There are far more important things to worry about when buying a used camera.

When you buy a car do you look at the odometer?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +17 more
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to MisterPootieCat, May 4, 2011

I thank all of you for the most helpful info on the shutter count.

At present I don't have a blank SDHC card so I ordered 4 SDHC 4GB Class 10 cards on E-Bay. As soon as they arrive I will check out my shutter count.

As for checking the Odometer on a used car.....Good point! I used to sell Chevys, new & used, and believe me THE MOST important item checked first by potential buyers was the Odometer. On our lot if the vehicle had more than 50K miles we usually didn't keep it, we wholesaled it off to Used car lots or auction sites.

Thanks again.

G

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Rob Bernhard
Like?
In reply to MisterPootieCat, May 6, 2011

Of course I do. Because I already know, statistically, what I can expect to get out of the car I'm about to buy.

You know nothing of the sort with a point and shoot.

Show me the published, verified, statistically valid figures show the rated shutter life of point and shoots. Any value you get from this exercise is completely and totally meaningless. You have no way of knowing of what 1000, 10,000, or 100,000 photographs taken with a single camera means toward the overall life of the camera.

Rob Bernhard
Like?
In reply to panamforeman, May 6, 2011

If you're ordering SDHC cards on ebay you've just wasted your money. You've likely just purchased a counterfeit card.

As explained in the post below, the odometer is a completely erroneous analogy and offers nothing to the discussion.

MisterPootieCat
Like?
It's part of buying used equipment
In reply to Rob Bernhard, May 6, 2011

Rob Bernhard wrote:

Of course I do. Because I already know, statistically, what I can expect to get out of the car I'm about to buy.

Show me the published, verified, statistically valid figures show the rated shutter life of point and shoots. Any value you get from this exercise is completely and totally meaningless. You have no way of knowing of what 1000, 10,000, or 100,000 photographs taken with a single camera means toward the overall life of the camera.

The person selling the gear has a vested interest in getting the highest price, the buyer might be okay with paying that price, but it's more than fair for the buyer to verify that the gear really is low-usage. Sellers are either flat out lying or clueless about the number of times the shutter has been fired. I know this first-hand, one "low-mileage cream puff" PowerShot S5 IS bought by me had many many thousands of shots more than what was advertised. I paid a premium for the camera based on the seller stating it was only test fired a couple hundred times AT THE MOST.

I think it's quite fair to assume the reliability of anything mechanical is going to diminish with use and age. And trying to verify this seems perfectly normal and warranted when the seller is asking a premium price for gear. Since most online transactions are "as is" this is even more important, at least to some of us.

Yes, no one knows just how long any P&S is going to last. But try and sell a camera with 100,000 shots on it at a premium price and tell us how it goes for you.

jmcarp
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
In reply to panamforeman, May 6, 2011

panamforeman wrote:

At present I don't have a blank SDHC card so I ordered 4 SDHC 4GB Class 10 cards on E-Bay.

You don't need a blank card to do this. Just create the new vers.req folder in the root directory of whatever card you have now.

Rob Bernhard
Like?
Re: It's part of buying used equipment

And how has your photography been impacted by this offensivly high shutter count in the S5? Did the shutter break?

How many 100,000 count cameras do you have experience with? Are you willing to buy a camera that looks fine, with a low count, even though it's been subjected to extreme and potentially dangerous temperature extremes? How does the shutter count tell you anything about the camera without that important bit of information?

You are deluding yourself if you think the shutter count on a point and shoot has any meaning. It's obsessive measurabatory nonsense. You have no idea how long hybrid leaf shutters last in point and shoot cameras and you have no idea if 100,000 is a small or large number.

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Rob Bernhard wrote:

The person selling the gear has a vested interest in getting the highest price, the buyer might be okay with paying that price, but it's more than fair for the buyer to verify that the gear really is low-usage. Sellers are either flat out lying or clueless about the number of times the shutter has been fired. I know this first-hand, one "low-mileage cream puff" PowerShot S5 IS bought by me had many many thousands of shots more than what was advertised. I paid a premium for the camera based on the seller stating it was only test fired a couple hundred times AT THE MOST.

I think it's quite fair to assume the reliability of anything mechanical is going to diminish with use and age. And trying to verify this seems perfectly normal and warranted when the seller is asking a premium price for gear. Since most online transactions are "as is" this is even more important, at least to some of us.

Yes, no one knows just how long any P&S is going to last. But try and sell a camera with 100,000 shots on it at a premium price and tell us how it goes for you.

MisterPootieCat
Like?
Delusional?

Rob Bernhard wrote:

And how has your photography been impacted by this offensivly high shutter count in the S5? Did the shutter break?

How many 100,000 count cameras do you have experience with? Are you willing to buy a camera that looks fine, with a low count, even though it's been subjected to extreme and potentially dangerous temperature extremes? How does the shutter count tell you anything about the camera without that important bit of information?

You are deluding yourself if you think the shutter count on a point and shoot has any meaning. It's obsessive measurabatory nonsense. You have no idea how long hybrid leaf shutters last in point and shoot cameras and you have no idea if 100,000 is a small or large number.

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Rob Bernhard wrote:

You really need to get a grip, or switch to decaf.

Rob Bernhard
Like?
Re: Delusional?

Delusion: a false belief or opinion

Yes, the word is entirely appropriate.

I'm for a more realistic understanding of failure modes, wear, and reliability. If anyone needs to get a grip it's those that place undue focus on arbitrary numbers without context.

MisterPootieCat
Like?

Rob Bernhard wrote:

Delusion: a false belief or opinion

Yes, the word is entirely appropriate.

I'm for a more realistic understanding of failure modes, wear, and reliability. If anyone needs to get a grip it's those that place undue focus on arbitrary numbers without context.

The entire premise of your argument that we're delusional is your position that the shutter count is entirely meaningless. Some might suggest you're the one suffering from delusions (of grandeur).

And twisting around my words only weakens your position.

Rob Bernhard
Like?
In reply to MisterPootieCat, May 7, 2011

Twisting your words? Oh the irony! You can't even discuss the topic anymore? All you have left are weak and childish insults?

Please. Grow up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads