NEX instead of a Bridge Camera?

Started Apr 28, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Einmalumdiewelt Regular Member • Posts: 332
NEX instead of a Bridge Camera?

I was asked for a recommendation on a bridge camera.

I am not up to date with this. Maybe you have an idea what's a good one currently.

But actually I was thinking if it makes sense to recommend a NEX with the 18-55 instead?

I mean what are the differences here except maybe price?

A bridge camera is usually compactish, has wide-angel to tele, shoots full automatic and has good IQ.

Our NEX does all these things quite well, right? Without being complicated to handle?

Einmalumdiewelt's gear list:Einmalumdiewelt's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 +3 more
draganflyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,247
Re: NEX instead of a Bridge Camera?

absolutely....with the added bonuses of having much better overall image quality and the ability to change lenses as skills develop

JaccoW Regular Member • Posts: 344

The Nex is capable of all that, however the tele bit needs the 18-200 zoom.
The IQ will be great, but it is also quite an expensive option.

Why not go for the new Sony HX100V?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666297852

It has similar functions as the Nex, and the Sony compact forum seems like the first few users are happy with it. At $450,- it is also a much cheaper option.

JaccoW's gear list:JaccoW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
kaktusss Regular Member • Posts: 414

It depends of the budget and the use.

The big advantage of a bridge like the Fujifilm HS10 or the Sony HX100V is the range : 30X zoom versus 3X for the 18-55mm... That can be an issue for some people.
For everything else, a NEX is better.

Masterbrew Regular Member • Posts: 496

If Bridge Camera means a small camera that will turn you on to photography, then you've come to the right place.

Lng0004 Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

Hm, my idea of a bridge camera is a Panasonic FZ or a Canon SX. They're not compact at all, but does offer a huge range (FZ100 gives you 600mm!).

Anyway, having used both, I can say that you should definitely get an EVIL instead, a NEX all the better ;P Part of the fun is buying and trying new lenses. You can't do that with a bridge camera.

If you want a really compact camera that delivers great IQ, then go for a more prosumer compact like the Panasonic LX5. Terrific IQ!

Einmalumdiewelt wrote:

I was asked for a recommendation on a bridge camera.

I am not up to date with this. Maybe you have an idea what's a good one currently.

But actually I was thinking if it makes sense to recommend a NEX with the 18-55 instead?

I mean what are the differences here except maybe price?

A bridge camera is usually compactish, has wide-angel to tele, shoots full automatic and has good IQ.

Our NEX does all these things quite well, right? Without being complicated to handle?

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,347

JaccoW wrote:

To get an idea what the NEX 5 + 18-200mm looks like you can see it here (it's the camera in the center):

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

JaccoW Regular Member • Posts: 344

Henry Richardson wrote:

JaccoW wrote:

To get an idea what the NEX 5 + 18-200mm looks like you can see it here (it's the camera in the center):

To be fair, the camera is a lot smaller when the lens is not extended. Not much longer than most bridge cameras and similar to earlier models like the F717.

JaccoW's gear list:JaccoW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
jazzroy1972 Regular Member • Posts: 172

Actually, to be fair, the camera with the 18-200 is way bigger than a bridge one.

The lens makes the difference, body is actually a bit smaller than Panny or Canon superzoom bridges' bodies.

Overall dimensions comparison:

with 16mm: Nex wins over bridge
with 18-55: Nex loses of a couple of cm
with 18-200: Nex loses of around 6 cm, which is a lot.

if you want to keep size small you have to go with rangefinder lenses, for example russian Jupiter, great quality and low price (and a lot of nostalgic style addiction!).

Consider also the 18-200 kit makes it cost more than double a bridge camera.

A low-cost and small size set could be:

• Nex-3 or Nex-5 with 16mm 400-500 euro

• Jupiter 50mm F2 30 euro

• Jupiter 85mm F2 130 euro

• M39 adapter 20 euro

you end up in having a quality way superior to bridge, a lot more fun with manual controls and some limits in not having a zoom..

I think the problem is to understand if we want to step outside the point and shoot world or not (with advantages and disadvantages!)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads