changing aperture in Nikon D3100 ?

Started Apr 27, 2011 | Discussions
crystalboom
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
changing aperture in Nikon D3100 ?
Apr 27, 2011

I add a baby 3 weeks ago and have not had time to read my Nikon D3100 book I bought. But his baby blessing is this Sunday and I wanted to get some different pictures so can someone give me the cliff notes version on how to get a blurry background? If I'm correct then I need a large aperture opening (very low fstop number), right? I haven't had much time to explore the camera so how do I adjust the aperture number? Thanks!!!!! Oh, and does it automatically change back when I turn on the camera again, or will the camera remember that setting/ aperture number?

Dave George
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Re: changing aperture in Nikon D3100 ?
In reply to crystalboom, Apr 27, 2011

This info will be in your cameras user manual, but the short answer is to select "A" mode on the top dial, and use the scroll wheel to select the aperture.

Smaller numbers i.e. F1.8 = larger aperture and smaller depth of field

Larger numbers i.e. F16 = smaller aperture and greater depth of field.

F5.6 is a nice starting point for blurring backgrounds I find.

If you leave the camera in A mode then it will boot back up at whatever aperture you previously had selected, if you decide to change to Auto or P mode then you are handing back control to the camera.

Dave George's gear list:Dave George's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave George, Apr 27, 2011

What lens do you have? If you have kit lens you can try zooming in on subject with distant background. You can also blur in post to simulate.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Chicoman
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to scokill, Apr 27, 2011

Playing with this for a couple days now myself but no luck yet

For a blurred background (BOKEH) what settings are recommended while in Aperture mode?
Focus mode AF-A, AF-S, MF?
What about Metering. Matrix, Centre Weighted or Spot?
Thanks .

sillyconguru
Senior MemberPosts: 2,987Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chicoman, Apr 27, 2011

Chicoman wrote:

For a blurred background (BOKEH) what settings are recommended while in Aperture mode?

Basically; to get the most blur in the background you need to set the aperture wide open, use the longest focal length as you can, get close to your subject and get as much distance between your subject and background as possible.

sillyconguru's gear list:sillyconguru's gear list
Casio QV-5500SX Pentax Optio I-10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon ELPH 100 HS Nikon D40 +45 more
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
just some thoughts
In reply to crystalboom, Apr 27, 2011

I don't want to sound rude or anything, just some good advise. From what I read, it seems you are a long way from mastering a DSLR, and had no time to learn to know the camera. If this event is Sunday, I wouldn't be too concerned about aiming for a blurred background. Put the camera on full auto. The last thing you want on a special occasion is to go wrong because you used bad settings in terms of aperture, shutterspeed, metering etc.

You will have plenty of time to exercise later.

D.

crystalboom wrote:

I add a baby 3 weeks ago and have not had time to read my Nikon D3100 book I bought. But his baby blessing is this Sunday and I wanted to get some different pictures so can someone give me the cliff notes version on how to get a blurry background? If I'm correct then I need a large aperture opening (very low fstop number), right? I haven't had much time to explore the camera so how do I adjust the aperture number? Thanks!!!!! Oh, and does it automatically change back when I turn on the camera again, or will the camera remember that setting/ aperture number?

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
crystalboom
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: just some thoughts
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Apr 27, 2011

Your absolutely right. I will be using auto but I wanted to play around some then too. I will mainly be in auto. Thanks though.

AlbieSky
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?
Re: just some thoughts
In reply to crystalboom, Apr 28, 2011

What program will you be using to keep your photos? Windows or Apple computer?
Hopefully whatever program you are using will load in both jpg and raw files.

You could shot in auto and set your camera to take RAW + jpg Large. When you get more experience/understanding with photography, you can take your RAW files and post process them into what you are invisioning your pictures to look like.

I agree: for now just put the camera in Auto and don't worry about trying to cram in the basics of photography.

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
RobertLaw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,016
Like?
In reply to crystalboom, Apr 28, 2011

I'm not sure about this since I own a D90 and D5000, but you should be able to put your camera is 'P' mode and then by scrolling the back wheel it will change shutter speed & f/stop combinations in a certain range that will keep it in the proper exposure. Take a few minutes before this weekend and try it. There are other ways that are more manual, but since you haven't had time to get used to the camera, this may be the easiest.
--
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
-- Max Ehrmann

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads