1000 photos ruined

Started Apr 27, 2011 | Discussions
Nikonicon
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
1000 photos ruined
Apr 27, 2011

Welcome

Please tell me I have used the wrong technique with my Nikon 70-200 VR1 and Kenko 1.4Tc as all the photos from a recent event cannot be sold due to blurriness.

I have used the combination with that switch that specifies whether or not you want the first 2.5 metres taken into account switched towards the camera meaning to focus beyond 2.5 metres.

All the photos have what I call fractured backgrounds and very unsharp subjects.

I am hoping it is that switch that has caused it by being in the wrong position,if it was in the right position then I need to throw it out and get something better to do the job.There was no issue with VR as it was off all the time and I was shooting
in sunlight with high shutter speeds.

I tested the combination before using it and there wasnt an issue however
you could say I tested it on landscape scenes and not where a subject was from 5
to 50 metres.

Thanks and Regards
Roger

Nikonicon

Nikonicon's gear list:Nikonicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +2 more
henne
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Re: 1000 photos ruined
In reply to Nikonicon, Apr 27, 2011

The focus-limiter is very unlikely to have anything to do with blurriness, unless you are shooting inside the focus-range of the limiter obviously.

Other than that the kenko is pretty soft in itself, and shooting wide open is really bad.
Stopping down is vital to get decent sharpness from this TC.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alnitak
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?
In reply to henne, Apr 27, 2011

I ahve used the 70-200 VR1 with a 1.4x TC and have found it to be very sharp wide open at f/4. With the Kenko 2x, there is some softness, but that disappears stopping down one stop.

If you have blurry images, I would check the AF mode and how you were using it. Also, did you engage the VR and allow it to "stablize" before you snapped the shutter? Did you have the VR set to normal or active? Were you on a monopod or tripod? What camera are you using? Are the subjects moving? What shutter speed were you at? It's tough to dianose the issue without more details and sample images.

However, I can guarantee that the 2.5m to infinity limiter on the 70-200 VR1 is not the issue -- I use that way all the time for sports and get sharp shots.

tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785
Like?
In reply to Alnitak, Apr 27, 2011

I don't use the Nikon TC14 on the VR1 for lack of sharpness at 200 mm for just about anything below f5.6. If you were in a focus priority mode, the shutter would not release if the lens was not in focus - so the switch position has this failsafe.

ClaySTurner
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?

This may seem silly and obvious, but check the other switch by the VR and VR limit that turns off the auto focus. This is easy enough to have happen by mistake.

joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?

Sample photo for review? Please also share your AF settings and focusing technique. Having used the Nikon 1.4X TC on an 80-200 AF-S wide open, I wasn't blown away by the sharpness (not even close) but was satisfied with the results especially on close distance subjects. The further away the subject, the more sharpness was lost (or there was a larger focus error).

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Alnitak
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, Apr 27, 2011

tundracamper wrote:

I don't use the Nikon TC14 on the VR1 for lack of sharpness at 200 mm for just about anything below f5.6. If you were in a focus priority mode, the shutter would not release if the lens was not in focus - so the switch position has this failsafe.

Not my experience at all. My 70-200 VR1 is very sharp at all focal lengths wide open with the Nikon 1.4x TC. Only with the 2x TC do I have to stop down. Never had an issue with the shutter that you mention on any of the bodies and the 70-200, including D100, D200 and D300s.

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,141Gear list
Like?
Examples? (nt)
 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785
Like?
In reply to Alnitak, Apr 27, 2011

Alnitak wrote:

tundracamper wrote:

If you were in a focus priority mode, the shutter would not release if the lens was not in focus - so the switch position has this failsafe.

Never had an issue with the shutter that you mention on any of the bodies and the 70-200, including D100, D200 and D300s.

It's not an issue, it's a feature. If the lens is not in focus in AF-S mode, the shutter will not release if the image is not in focus. It's that simple. So, if one were to try to focus on an object closer than the limit switch would allow, the shutter would not release as the focus sensor would not detect focus. If one is in AF-C mode and/or release priority, then the camera will take an image even if the image is not in focus. In that case, the limiter setting could be an issue.

KenEis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,935
Like?

I;'ve been told to never mix brands of teleconverters. I have a Nikon TC14 that I use on my 70-200 but I would never use it on my Sigma 150-500mm
--
Ken Eis
http://keneis.zenfolio.com

Nikonicon
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, Apr 27, 2011

Thanks all

As I have said,there wasnt any VR being used,samples may eventually follow.

I had entered a lens fine tune with this combination and I have now deleted it

and will see what results I get.

There is another factor too that might have been the issue,I have recently shifted back from AF-ON to Shutter release but have left the front setting on Continuous focus,maybe it should be back on Single focus.

I was also using the Ch setting,there was no difference between hand held and images on a monopod.

Thanks so far

Roger.
Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +2 more
xtm
xtm
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

Can you post some samples? Really hard to troubleshoot an image if there's no sample to look at.

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +2 more
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,458Gear list
Like?
In reply to KenEis, Apr 28, 2011

KenEis wrote:

I;'ve been told to never mix brands of teleconverters. I have a Nikon TC14 that I use on my 70-200 but I would never use it on my Sigma 150-500mm

That's fine, since it won't mount. Nikon TCs (without grinding away a tab) will only mount on a few select lenses.

Kenko TCs are designed to work with the widest selection of lenses with out issues.
I use one on my 70-200vr, Tamron 90mm macro, etc
--

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Deleted17
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
Great advice...
In reply to tundracamper, Apr 28, 2011

Focus priority makes a lot of sense...

ffnikclif
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonicon, Apr 28, 2011

If you have the focus switch on camera in "C" than it will take the picture without focus. This may be your problem. If you are good enough to be selling your work I'm surprised you don't understand the camera. There is a green dot in the view finder that will light up when you have achieved focus.

Fred

ffnikclif's gear list:ffnikclif's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Alnitak
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, Apr 28, 2011

tundracamper wrote:

Alnitak wrote:

tundracamper wrote:

If you were in a focus priority mode, the shutter would not release if the lens was not in focus - so the switch position has this failsafe.

Never had an issue with the shutter that you mention on any of the bodies and the 70-200, including D100, D200 and D300s.

It's not an issue, it's a feature. If the lens is not in focus in AF-S mode, the shutter will not release if the image is not in focus. It's that simple. So, if one were to try to focus on an object closer than the limit switch would allow, the shutter would not release as the focus sensor would not detect focus. If one is in AF-C mode and/or release priority, then the camera will take an image even if the image is not in focus. In that case, the limiter setting could be an issue.

I understand the focus priority feature...use it myself sometimes. But I guess I didn't see how the limiter on the 70-200 could even interact with that feature if the subject was 5m+ away?

Alnitak
Like?
In reply to ffnikclif, Apr 28, 2011

ffnikclif wrote:

If you have the focus switch on camera in "C" than it will take the picture without focus. This may be your problem. If you are good enough to be selling your work I'm surprised you don't understand the camera. There is a green dot in the view finder that will light up when you have achieved focus.

Fred

Yes, that is the simplest explanation -- he's using shutter release with AF-C...but doesn't understand how to use it effectively.

I'm also surprised that a pro would not understand the camea, as well as taking 1000 potential stock shots without inspecting to verify exposure, focus, etc.

Nikonicon
Like?
In reply to Alnitak, Apr 28, 2011

Welcome

Ok,so Shutter release and AF-C supposedly arent compatible,that sounds a likely issue then, as I have said earlier I was an AF-On user and have had to back away from that and go back to Shutter release.I understood everything about Continuous focus and AF- ON but found focus to be unsatisfactory ,but saying that I didnt use it with Release, I always used it with Focus mode ,it never had any delay in focussing and would still take photos before focus was achieved on occassions,odd.

No I am not a PRO ,just a struggling DSLR user who has a lot of experience trying to get this camera to do its best,I sell a lot of photos that I manage to get close to a pro standard for most of the time.

My next test will be using Release mode and going back to AF-On and have the Lens Fine tune deleted.

Yes ,you are anxious to see the problem photos,they are on another computer and I will try to get them here eventually.

Thanks again for the help.
Regards
Roger.
--
Nikonicon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads