D7000 U1 & U2 settings/Custom settings - most useful?

Started Apr 26, 2011 | Discussions
MillbraeMutt
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
D7000 U1 & U2 settings/Custom settings - most useful?
Apr 26, 2011

I haven't been shooting enough to really get beyond some of the semi-auto modes, but am starting to learn more about my D7000 as i take more pictures. How do most of you guys use your U1 and U2 settings?

What would be the most useful or common ways to set this up (details please :-), keeping in mind i do most of my shooting outdoors at sporting events and as a byproduct of traveling/hikes?

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 U1 & U2 settings/Custom settings - most useful?
In reply to MillbraeMutt, Apr 26, 2011

MillbraeMutt wrote:

I haven't been shooting enough to really get beyond some of the semi-auto modes, but am starting to learn more about my D7000 as i take more pictures. How do most of you guys use your U1 and U2 settings?

What would be the most useful or common ways to set this up (details please :-), keeping in mind i do most of my shooting outdoors at sporting events and as a byproduct of traveling/hikes?

Before I answer your question, I have a question for you.

Do you prefer using Auto-ISO most of the time, some of the time, or none of the time?

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MillbraeMutt
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Apr 26, 2011

I would say most of the time I use 'auto' iso...generally speaking, I haven't really graduated from 'semi-auto' mode so I'll typically only manually tweak a variable or two then let the camera do the rest. As i take more pictures and more comfortable with the different settings, I am sure that will change to 'rarely'

Jeff4500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?
In reply to MillbraeMutt, Apr 26, 2011

I have one set for for when I use live view/video and one for Birds in flight.
--
Regards,
Jeff
http://www.marketmagic.com/GS/index.htm

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Edmund17
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
In reply to Jeff4500, Apr 27, 2011

Jeff4500 wrote:

I have one set for for when I use live view/video and one for Birds in flight.
--
Regards,
Jeff
http://www.marketmagic.com/GS/index.htm

Jeff........Can you share your "birds in flight" settings?

Thanks!

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to MillbraeMutt, Apr 27, 2011

MillbraeMutt wrote:

I would say most of the time I use 'auto' iso...generally speaking, I haven't really graduated from 'semi-auto' mode so I'll typically only manually tweak a variable or two then let the camera do the rest. As i take more pictures and more comfortable with the different settings, I am sure that will change to 'rarely'

In that case, I would recommend that you keep your Auto ISO set for PASM and set U1 and U2 to use fixed ISO. That's what I do.
U1 settings for

• Aperture Priority mode.

• Easy ISO so you can directly access any ISO levels with turn of the sub-command dial without pushing a button first.

• Starting ISO is set to 400.

• Single point AF-A (I use 9 point for PASM modes)

• Fn assigned to spot metering.

• Pv assigned to virtual horizon in viewfinder

• ADL set to OFF

• (a3) Focus lock set to OFF

I set U2 for flash photography as a starting point:

• Manual Mode,

• Fn set to Flash Lock

• SS=100 (higher shutter speed reduces possibility of subject blurring or ghosting at high ISOs)

• f=5.6

• ISO=400

• AF-A, Dynamic Auto Area so the AF assist light will always light, even if the center AF point is not used, (this is not so in other AF selector modes where the center point has to be selected in order for the AF light to work .) For social settings, I find the Dynamic Auto Area to work very fast and reliably.

• LCD light ON, so you can see it in dim light.

• ADL set to HIGH. This is the only time I use the ADL setting turned to ON in the camera. The reason is that when shooting JPEGs with flash, harsh lighting is reduced and items or people in the scene closer to the flash than the focus point will not be blown out to a whitish ghost because the highlights are preserved.

My default Picture settings for Picture Control are Neutral, sharpness +6, saturation -1, contrast +1, brightness -1,hue=0

I shoot in RAW mode most of the time, but I use Capture NX2 or View NX2 to process the NEF files, so the camera settings for JPEGs are retained when I open the RAW file for editing. This is not the case with other RAW converters. All of your Picture Control settings are lost with other software when shooting RAW.

Well this isn't everything, but it should give you a good starting point.
I hope it helps some, anyway.

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
MillbraeMutt
Like?
In reply to Edmund17, Apr 27, 2011

Here are some bird settings i managed to find online...i like the idea of keeping the U settings 'action' related you can think and react quickly.

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/flying-birds-tips.shtml

In this particular case, there is a 'motion' and 'frozen' option depending on the look you are going after.

bemax56
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

I use U1 for indoor sports photography and U2 for outdoor shooting (mostly people and landscapes).

-- hide signature --

-- Bemax

Ralph Smeets
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

I use the U1 setting for video. I haven't setup the U2 setting yet, but it will probably be something like A-priority with easy ISO.

Ralph Smeets's gear list:Ralph Smeets's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus E-M1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +12 more
MillbraeMutt
Like?
In reply to Ralph Smeets, Apr 27, 2011

Another great thread on U1/U2 settings...very detailed.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=37492262

AV Janus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?
In reply to MillbraeMutt, Apr 28, 2011

This is pretty useful. I havent even touched the U1 and U2 positions.
My settings are still alower the place for every shooting scenario!:-):-/
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
wesmannmsu
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
In reply to AV Janus, Apr 28, 2011

I am going to recommend you read ByThom's book on the D7000.. its excellent for new users...

http://bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads