One Camera to Rule them All

Started Apr 24, 2011 | Discussions
KAF18500
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
One Camera to Rule them All
Apr 24, 2011

SD1 is out. At least in production lines. It will change the landscape of photography and pixel peeping. Can someone here please start a Flick group for SD1 users? This will go down in history, a defining moment where the providence of IQ evidence turns into viral marketing.

cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: One Camera to Rule them All
In reply to KAF18500, Apr 24, 2011

In production?

How do you know this? I sure hope you're right!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: SD1 flickr group link
In reply to KAF18500, Apr 24, 2011

there is one flickr SD1 group already

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_sd1/

Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

 SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: SD1 flickr group link
In reply to SandyF, Apr 24, 2011

That group is just photos from trade shows.

How does the thread starter know that the camera is already in production?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: SD1 flickr group link
In reply to cinefeel, Apr 24, 2011

cinefeel wrote:

That group is just photos from trade shows.

Right.

There hasn't been a real sample gallery... or anyone's sample photos... released yet.

But the discussion group exists, even though there aren't any photos in the photo pool yet.

How does the thread starter know that the camera is already in production?

I have no idea.

Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, Nevada trip)

 SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
Unfortunately
In reply to KAF18500, Apr 24, 2011

SD1 is not out. And there is no proof of it´s image quality and behaviour of the new sensor in various light conditions. That´s it for now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mojo 77
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Re: Unfortunately
In reply to petr marek, Apr 24, 2011

There is a photo from the SD1 in the Flickr group, you can view it large too. Detail looks amazing although there is a long black line running through the dog's nose. Not sure what this might be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Korean trade show?
In reply to SandyF, Apr 24, 2011

I remember reading Sigma was going to be at a trade show in Korea on April 21 ??? any news from that? I searched around a bit but don't see any new 'news'
Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

 SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cinefeel
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
Re: Korean trade show?
In reply to SandyF, Apr 24, 2011

I followed that on Japanese twitter. Unfortunately, nothing yet.

Just a new OS lens release announcement.

However, my UK Sigma dealer seems to believe that the SD1 will be available in May.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
charley5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?
Re: Unfortunately
In reply to Mojo 77, Apr 24, 2011

Actually, if you look into the dog's pupils at original size, you can see the camera crew. That's pretty cool.

The original poster seems to enjoy hyperbole. The Sd1 is not about to usher in a revolution, nor is it even the Second Coming. Get a hold of yourself.

-Charles

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel Card
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163
Like?
Re: Unfortunately
In reply to charley5, Apr 24, 2011

charley5 wrote:

Actually, if you look into the dog's pupils at original size, you can see the camera crew. That's pretty cool.

The line through the dogs nose, makes it look like some kind of stitched image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Midnighter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727
Like?
and what of lenses?
In reply to KAF18500, Apr 24, 2011

Because, in my experience, most resellers dont even know Sigma makes lenses for its own camera mount. Anecdotal evidence I have drawn from this forum compared to the Nikon and Canon forums suggests they are mighty rare on the ground anyway.

I can picture this: Customer walks in to buy SD1... the greatest DSLR ever to be released in 10 years that slays dead even Canon full frame cameras (according to one renowned poster on these boards). Echoed from the pulpits of every camera reviewer on net or paper on the planet.

Customer asks of store: 'I would like to buy a couple of lenses as well.' Reseller replies, "Sorry sir, we only stock Nikon and Canon mount Sigma lenses."

If Sigma wants this camera to be the Holy Grail of photography they sure had better have a supply of lenses to back the damn thing up. If ever there was a case for a manufacturer to release multiple SKU's that allow a reseller to order in camera+extended lens retail packages the SD1 is it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: One Camera to Rule them All
In reply to cinefeel, Apr 24, 2011

cinefeel wrote:

In production?

How do you know this? I sure hope you're right!!

Of course its in production because Sigma have to produce enough SD1 bodies to satisfy the expected demand when they release it. But that does'nt mean its been released for sale yet. Hopefully that will occur sometime in May this year.

 DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: and what of lenses?
In reply to Midnighter, Apr 24, 2011

Midnighter wrote:

Because, in my experience, most resellers dont even know Sigma makes lenses for its own camera mount. Anecdotal evidence I have drawn from this forum compared to the Nikon and Canon forums suggests they are mighty rare on the ground anyway.

I can picture this: Customer walks in to buy SD1... the greatest DSLR ever to be released in 10 years that slays dead even Canon full frame cameras (according to one renowned poster on these boards). Echoed from the pulpits of every camera reviewer on net or paper on the planet.

Customer asks of store: 'I would like to buy a couple of lenses as well.' Reseller replies, "Sorry sir, we only stock Nikon and Canon mount Sigma lenses."

If Sigma wants this camera to be the Holy Grail of photography they sure had better have a supply of lenses to back the damn thing up. If ever there was a case for a manufacturer to release multiple SKU's that allow a reseller to order in camera+extended lens retail packages the SD1 is it.

The first buyers of the SD1 will probably mostly be existing Sigma DSLR users and therefore they will already have lenses to fit it.

Its only those that are new to Sigma DSLR ownership that will experience initial Sigma lens availabilty problems.

However, as they dont actually need to use Sigma lenses with the SD1 at all then that need'nt be a problem.

 DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,760
Like?
A DP using the SD1 sensor rules them all
In reply to KAF18500, Apr 24, 2011

i.e., one with zoom or interchangeable lens and built in VF. Just think about it, MF IQ so handy.
--
Maple

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
atom14
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348
Like?
Re: One Camera to Rule them All
In reply to KAF18500, Apr 24, 2011

KAF18500 wrote:

SD1 is out. At least in production lines. It will change the landscape of photography and pixel peeping. Can someone here please start a Flick group for SD1 users? This will go down in history, a defining moment where the providence of IQ evidence turns into viral marketing.

Hi KAF18500

You're new to this forum, and I'm not long here either. I tried to understand your main remarks but couldn't on a few of counts:

1. Where does your info come from?

2. What do you mean by your two assertions: "...landscape of photography...pixel peeping..." and "...go down in history...viral marketing..."
3. Why can't you start a "Flick" group?

As it stands, you post sounds rather like an exuberant rave. I for one would appreciate some clarification.
atom14

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter A. Stavrakoglou
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,440Gear list
Like?
Re: and what of lenses?
In reply to Midnighter, Apr 24, 2011

Don't be too sure that it is a supply problem rather than a reseller electing not to stock lenses for a SA mount because they hardly sell any Sigma DSLRs - if any.
--
My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

 Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rtrski
Contributing MemberPosts: 795
Like?
Re: Korean trade show?
In reply to SandyF, Apr 25, 2011

Yeah, I've been watching for that too.

Hopefully the poster here who directly pinged Yamaki-san to confirm the SD1 would be there will post a booth visit report, at the very least.

There was also a tweet that implied they were trying to release by the "next major show" which many here were speculating would be Seoul.

Saw a couple new tweets about lenses available as free "rentals" from a hotel in Japan near a great walking path, but other than that and a Canon-mount lens ship date, nothing concrete in the last couple weeks.
--
budding (translation: currently incompetent) underwater photographer wannabe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrski

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nonphotography
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Re:
In reply to rtrski, Apr 25, 2011

i look forward to seeing if the new sensor and finally compete with other sensors on the market. I am hoping that its price won't be ridiculous but I think it will be.
--
"Contrary to some thinking, the best camera is the next one you want"

Joe
a nonphotography photographer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: and what of lenses?
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Apr 25, 2011

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Midnighter wrote:

Because, in my experience, most resellers dont even know Sigma makes lenses for its own camera mount. Anecdotal evidence I have drawn from this forum compared to the Nikon and Canon forums suggests they are mighty rare on the ground anyway.

I can picture this: Customer walks in to buy SD1... the greatest DSLR ever to be released in 10 years that slays dead even Canon full frame cameras (according to one renowned poster on these boards). Echoed from the pulpits of every camera reviewer on net or paper on the planet.

Customer asks of store: 'I would like to buy a couple of lenses as well.' Reseller replies, "Sorry sir, we only stock Nikon and Canon mount Sigma lenses."

If Sigma wants this camera to be the Holy Grail of photography they sure had better have a supply of lenses to back the damn thing up. If ever there was a case for a manufacturer to release multiple SKU's that allow a reseller to order in camera+extended lens retail packages the SD1 is it.

The first buyers of the SD1 will probably mostly be existing Sigma DSLR users and therefore they will already have lenses to fit it.

EXACTLY, I have a bunch of nice EX lenses which will probably do fine for my first SD1 shots

I just want to buy a SD1... too bad I didn't have it for my recent red rocks trip... but I have other trips upcoming this year

Thereafter, I'm debating what to buy
85mm EX ?
an OS stabilized mid-mm range lens??
8-16mm ??

Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, new NV photos)

 SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads