Transferring D5100 files to computer question

Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions
Phillip S
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Transferring D5100 files to computer question
Apr 21, 2011

With the Nikon D300, you can go to the tools/Wrench settings in the Menu
and then go to USB and then switch that to Mass Storage.

This allows me to download files to anyone's computer from the camera.

On the D5100, there is no USB setting in the Menu.

Can one transfer files from the D5100/camera itself to a (friend's) computer without Nikon Transfer software loaded onto the computer?

Phillip S
Like?
Re: Transferring D5100 files to computer question
In reply to Phillip S, Apr 21, 2011

In other words, can it be done with the camera and not having to
1. Have a separate card reader
or
2. Load Nikon Transfer software onto someone else's computer

?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,778
Like?
Yes, loads of ways

Unfortunately the mass storage option support was dropped in favour of PTP (picture transfer protocol). This may or may not be supported directly by the PC operating system but delegated to various applications.

On my PC (Windows XP, service pack 3) plugging in my D70 when USB is set to PTP gives me many different options (applications) I can use:

ABBY Fineprint reader
Epson Scan
MS Scanner Wizard
MS Office
MS DOcument Scanning
MS Publisher
Sonic MyDVD

As a test for you (I normally use a card reader) I tried the MS Scanner Wizard which is likely to be the most ubiquitous program - and it worked flawlessly (I used the Advanced option).

Here is a Wiki about PTP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

You don't want to go installing stuff on other peoples' computers - at least I would never allow it!

David

Phillip S wrote:

In other words, can it be done with the camera and not having to
1. Have a separate card reader
or
2. Load Nikon Transfer software onto someone else's computer

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?

Phillip S wrote:

With the Nikon D300, you can go to the tools/Wrench settings in the Menu
and then go to USB and then switch that to Mass Storage.

This allows me to download files to anyone's computer from the camera.

On the D5100, there is no USB setting in the Menu.

Can one transfer files from the D5100/camera itself to a (friend's) computer without Nikon Transfer software loaded onto the computer?

Yes, assuming that it's a Windows computer. It'll probably also work with a Mac and linux but I don't use those so I couldn't help you with them. I don't have a D5100 but this is how it works with the D300. With the USB set to Mass Storage the D300 can see everything on the memory card using any file browser you happen to have. It shows up as a drive with a letter, such as G:. Change the USB setting to MTP/PTP and now the file browser (most of them, anyway) can no longer see the memory card. Microsoft's Windows Explorer is a different kind of file browser. It can see the memory card just as photo apps such as Nikon Transfer (and most others) can. But it doesn't recognize the memory card as a disk drive represented by a letter (such as the G: above) with folders.

What it shows is that within My Computer is an icon of a camera, identified as "D300". I assume that when the D5100 is connected to the computer's USB port it would show up as "D5100". This will allow you to copy the image files contained within the D300 or D5100 object. What is this object? It's just the DCIM folder that's on the memory card, and that's all that Windows Explorer can access. It can't see any other folders on the card or any files in the card's root directory. You should be able to copy JPEGs and other image files from this camera object to any other hard drives on your computer, but you probably won't be able to copy anything from your computer back to the camera object. It appears that the MTP/PTP setting only allows transfers in one direction. There may be some apps. that can copy stuff back to the card or maybe this is a hardware limitation of the camera, but that's another thing that I'm not familiar with.

Phillip S
Like?
In reply to Billx08, Apr 21, 2011

Thanks to both of you.

Part of my confusion (as I purchased the D5100 this past Sunday, but I have had the D300 for over 3 years) is that whenever someone wanted files from my D300, I always had to do the USB to MASS STORAGE route in order to download to their computer (if we did not have a card reader handy).

Having been spoiled to the ease of such, I did not know what the result would be with such situations with the D5100.

Phillip S
Like?

But, does this mean that the files from the D5100 will not be cloned as the native Nikon RAW file unless you use Nikon's Transfer software.

Sorry, but, as you can tell, I'm no expert on digital pathways.

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?

Phillip S wrote:

But, does this mean that the files from the D5100 will not be cloned as the native Nikon RAW file unless you use Nikon's Transfer software.

I put it to the test and discovered that Win XP's Windows Explorer is quite stupid, but first a correction. Windows Explorer doesn't see the contents of the DCIM folder. It sees the contents of the D300's folders that are within DCIM, such as 100ND300, 101ND300, etc. If your memory card has more than one of these ND300 folders, Windows Explorer will show you the contents of all of these folders, but the image files are not divided into distinct folders. They'll all appear within the D300 pseudo hard drive which is all that Windows Explorer will show you. Next, if you shoot RAW + JPEG, Windows Explorer will try to copy them from the camera to the hard drive but it can be easily confused, seemingly not seeing the filename extensions that I see using a card reader (".NEF" and ".JPG"), accurately showing only the left side of the filenames and the ".JPG" extension, not the ".NEF" extension. So if these files are in the 100ND300 folder :

DSC_3118.JPG
DSC_3118.NEF

with respective file sizes of 5MB and 10MB, what Windows Explorer sees in the camera are these files :

DSC_3118.JPG
DSC_3118(1).JPG

and after copying them to the hard drive, you have two identical 5MB JPEG files named DSC_3118.JPG and DSC_3118(1).JPG.   But Windows Explorer really is able to see the .NEF filename extensions because if I have these two files in the DCIM/101ND300 folder :

DSC_3118.JPG
DSC_3119.NEF

then Windows Explorer has no problem seeing both of these, and they are copied to the hard drive you have the 5MB JPEG file and the 10MB NEF file. Maybe some more sophisticated photo transfer apps such as Nikon Transfer won't be so easily confused, but if you shoot RAW instead of RAW+JPEG you should be ok. And the RAW files by themselves actually contain a full resolution Basic (compressed) JPEG copy anyway, and these can be easily extracted without even having to open the NEF files with any photo apps. One free, fast utility that does this is Michael Tapes' "Instant JPEG From RAW" (now Snow Leopard and Windows 7 compatible) which can extract the inner JPEGs into their own folder. It can downloaded from :

http://mtapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads