2 bad lens from B&H, what is the odd

Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions
viclauyyc
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
2 bad lens from B&H, what is the odd
Apr 21, 2011

Sigh. I just order a Tokina 100mm for my D3. First one has problem with the aperture, sometime it show the max aperture as 2.8, most other time is 5.6 or 3.2 or something in between. So I send it back to BH for exchange. The second copy behave the same.

I test my D3 with other older lens with aperture ring. All works fine. Then I test the tokina with my good old D70, the very same thing happen........

So is it me have bad luck or Tokina has bad QC.

PS. the serial number for both tokina is different. so they did not just send back the bad lens

-- hide signature --

Vic Lau at Calgary

madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 bad lens from B&H, what is the odd
In reply to viclauyyc, Apr 21, 2011

Actually, That is normal on a macro. My Tokina 35mm f/2.8 behaves the same.

It's not defective. It is showing the actual effective aperture as the lens focus's closer
--

In god we trust, all others are suspects

Licensed firearms dealer in Houston, Texas

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viclauyyc
Like?
In reply to madecov, Apr 21, 2011

Yes, the aperture do change when I change the focus. But the max. aperture never get bigger than 3.2. And the lens should be a 2.8 lens.

Also, I test my Sigma 150/2.8 micro. The max aperture do not change. So i guess it is either a Tokina thing or it is just a bad copy.

I will call tokina see what they say tomorrow

-- hide signature --

Vic Lau at Calgary

Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,189Gear list
Like?

Actually your Sigma 150 will indeed change the maximum aperture at close distance. I've been using the lens for years and it functions just like most true macro lenses do.

Nothing wrong with the Tokina if its changing the max aperture at close range.
--
Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF
Petri_H
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

No. it is not just a Tokina thing:

Photozone.de on Micro Nikkor AF-S DX 85mm f/3.5:

"Typical for most macro lenses, the effective aperture decreases towards the minimum focus distance. The lens reports this corrected value to the camera."

Actually your Sigma might be the "defective" one, again Photozone.de on Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM macro:

"Regarding its IF (internal focusing) design the Sigma should loose about 1.5 f-stops at its most extreme macro setting but unlike the Micro-Nikkors the effective max. aperture is not adjusted (update: the latest generation does). "

viclauyyc wrote:

Yes, the aperture do change when I change the focus. But the max. aperture never get bigger than 3.2. And the lens should be a 2.8 lens.

Also, I test my Sigma 150/2.8 micro. The max aperture do not change. So i guess it is either a Tokina thing or it is just a bad copy.

-- hide signature --

Vic Lau at Calgary

Emeraldforest
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
In reply to Petri_H, Apr 21, 2011

There was nothing wrong with your lens. My Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro is the same way. When I first got it, I was all pissy about the fact that it would go to 2.8 during certain situations. But I found out that it normal for macro lens when you are close focusing. I think it is called the 'effective aperture'. Point your lens to infinity and open up the aperture and it should go to 2.8. But if you are 'close focusing' the 'effective' aperture is what the camera dispays.

Anyhow, I thought I would share that with you, because i thought the same thing at first. I am glad that I did not send it back. I am surprised that they did not explain that to you when you arranged the return.

Anyhow, good luck with that. Google 'effective aperture' and it will help answer some of your questions and frustrations
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeraldsprings/

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,321Gear list
Like?
Re: the chances are nil

If you do not understand the complexities of some aspects of photography I am sure B&H have a help desk for recent purchasers, or you can post an query on a forum before saying your good lenses are defective.

As an owner of the Nikon 60mm D, 60mm G, 105 macro and 200 macro I can confirm Nikon macro lenses work in a similar way.
--
Leonard Shepherd

Good photography is mainly about doing simple things well. The challenge is doing simple things well enough for good results.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
ianz28
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,379Gear list
Like?
Re: the chances are nil
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Apr 21, 2011

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

If you do not understand the complexities of some aspects of photography I am sure B&H have a help desk for recent purchasers, or you can post an query on a forum before saying your good lenses are defective.

As an owner of the Nikon 60mm D, 60mm G, 105 macro and 200 macro I can confirm Nikon macro lenses work in a similar way.

Confirmed and agreed.

Nikon shows the "effective" aperture of any given macro lens no matter the manufacturer. If focused closer than infinity there is a high likelihood that your f2.8 lens will show f3.2 or even f5.6 as the maximum aperture. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lens!

Furthermore you really should have understood the characteristics or at least researched the characteristics of "THE" lens - or - even "ALL" macro lenses before sending the lens back as defective.

You are not the first to question the changing aperture on Nikon bodies.

In response to the changing aperture perhaps you would be curious to know why exactly it is that the aperture changes.

It is really quite simple: As the lens focuses closer there is a reduction in the amount of light that is gathered by the lens. Essentially modern macro lenses act as if there is a teleconverter attached. The reason they behave this way is because they actually extend while focussing. In other words they achieve the effective magnification by extending the distance between the focal groups - it is essentially the same thing that happens when you use an extension tube or a tele-converter.

The closer the lens focuses the lower the amount of light there is that is reaching the sensor. While some brands choose to ignore the "true" aperture of macro lenses Nikon chooses to show this "effective" aperture on the camera.

There is nothing wrong with any of your macro lenses when this occurs. If anything you should thank Nikon for maintaining accuracy in the metering metrics of photography.

After all if you want to take the next step and calculate exposures with flash based on aperture for macro shooting you will get the correct exposures with Nikon.

ian

ianz28's gear list:ianz28's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +9 more
madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?

viclauyyc wrote:

-- hide signature --

Vic Lau at Calgary

Make sure you are checking the lens maximum aperture when the lens is at infinity. At any other focus distance it may not be showing maximum.
--

In god we trust, all others are suspects

Licensed firearms dealer in Houston, Texas

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,755Gear list
Like?
Re: No bad lens from B&H, what is the odd

viclauyyc wrote:

Sigh. I just order a Tokina 100mm for my D3. First one has problem with the aperture, sometime it show the max aperture as 2.8, most other time is 5.6 or 3.2 or something in between. So I send it back to BH for exchange. The second copy behave the same.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience you experienced but as others here have explained, neither of your lenses was defective. So, your first lens came back to us with a report it was bad when it apparently was not. What should an ethical retailer do with this item?

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Les Kamens
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

Just another reason to use system lenses... You spent 5000 plus on the body and the most important part the "eye" lens is where you decide to save money???? as i've mentioned before it cost you more in the long run, in repairs or sending it back for a working one or living with what you have till you can't any more. And then there is the resale value of a non system lens if it is still working properly.

Les Kamens's gear list:Les Kamens's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
sting
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,968
Like?
non-NIkon lenses
In reply to Les Kamens, Apr 21, 2011

Les Kamens wrote:

Just another reason to use system lenses... You spent 5000 plus on the body and the most important part the "eye" lens is where you decide to save money????

There are a number of non-Nikon lenses that exceed Nikon offerings.

Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to Les Kamens, Apr 21, 2011

Les Kamens wrote:

Just another reason to use system lenses... You spent 5000 plus on the body and the most important part the "eye" lens is where you decide to save money???? as i've mentioned before it cost you more in the long run, in repairs or sending it back for a working one or living with what you have till you can't any more. And then there is the resale value of a non system lens if it is still working properly.

Oh, come now. This is not a system or brand issue. Its not an issue at all, simply the OP's lack of understanding of how macro lenses function.

I love and prefer Nikkor glass but I won't hesitate to acquire a third party lens if it offers something Nikon does not.

-- hide signature --
 Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF
Mikael in DK
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petri_H, Apr 21, 2011

Bookmarked!

I learned something new today - thanks.

Kind regards,

Mikael

Mikael in DK's gear list:Mikael in DK's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +1 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,146
Like?
In reply to Holmes375, Apr 21, 2011

I have several lens not Nikon made. The Zeiss's I have and the Tamron 90mm macro do just fine on my d3s. I think for me it is the output that manners, not so much a brand name.

Larry - smile

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?

It's a shame you didn't ask before sending the first one back. I noticed this with my first macro lens, but I asked on a couple of forums. Now B&H is out postage and a second lens, plus the cost of sending the first one back to Nikon.
--

'A man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.'
Winston Churchill

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,743Gear list
Like?
Re: No bad lens from B&H, what is the odd
In reply to henryp, Apr 21, 2011

henryp wrote:

What should an ethical retailer do with this item?

Henry

I am really curious what answers you get on this one.........

Terry
--
Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
http://gallery.reginaphotoclub.com/TGraham
See my profile for all my equipment.

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 +19 more
viclauyyc
Like?
thanks everyone. I was wrong

thanks everyone.

Guess I should ask in forum first next time.

-- hide signature --

Vic Lau at Calgary

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,146
Like?
Re: question was good

The question is not a bad question concerning max. f stop at various distances. It took me some study on various websites to find out the answer when I was hunting for a micro lens. Keep on coming back.

Larry

gtblackwell
Contributing MemberPosts: 570
Like?
B&H is as ethical as they come.
In reply to larrywilson, Apr 21, 2011

I have no idea of how they handle such situations but I trust them to do the right thing. If I bought a new lens from them and they sent me the returned lens I would be fine with it. I feel sure they check out all returned lenses. Certainly all dealers have not earned this reputation.

GB
--
NA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads