Human eye: Aperture, shutter speed and ISO equivalency?

Started Apr 20, 2011 | Discussions
OmarV12
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Human eye: Aperture, shutter speed and ISO equivalency?
Apr 20, 2011

Have you ever thought about...If your eye was a lens....what the shutter speed, aperture and ISO equivalency VS a real camera lens?

Maybe you think Im crazy, but lets just think about it:

The human eye can definetly perform better in really low light conditions than a Dsl-r sensor? How fast is the human eye? What is the equivalent Depth of field that the eye can generate if you are looking to your index finger 4 inches away from it.

What about the focus speed? I think there are lenses able to focus faster than at least my eye.

I hope you understand my inusual topic here

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Omar

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,676
Like?
Re: Human eye: Aperture, shutter speed and ISO equivalency?
In reply to OmarV12, Apr 20, 2011

OmarV12 wrote:

Have you ever thought about...If your eye was a lens....what the shutter speed, aperture and ISO equivalency VS a real camera lens?

The human eye can definetly perform better in really low light conditions than a Dsl-r sensor? How fast is the human eye? What is the equivalent Depth of field that the eye can generate if you are looking to your index finger 4 inches away from it.

What about the focus speed? I think there are lenses able to focus faster than at least my eye.

When your eyes get old you need lenses. Camera lenses are forever.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Omar

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell
I am always trying ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,631
Like?
In reply to OmarV12, Apr 20, 2011

OmarV12 wrote:

The problem is that the human eye/brain combo is an extremely sophisticated system that takes continuous imput from an organ that gives a small area of sharp focus (in the center of your vision), combines it with a much larger area of fuzzy, colorlessness (your perhipheral and night vision) and interpolates that information using past experiences to give you a coherent view of your surroundings.

The camera sensor, on the other hand, is a much more simple device and the metrics we use to measure a sensor translate poorly to the eye/brain

OmarV12
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
In reply to dradam, Apr 20, 2011

wow dradam, that makes so much sense. I was very deep into my questions that I did not stop to analyze how complex our lens (eye) and sensor (brain)!

Thanks for the explanation!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Omar

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads