Like?
NEX-7 for $1,300?
Apr 20, 2011
MBRuss
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
Re: NEX-7 for $1,300?
In reply to Myari, Apr 20, 2011

Wow. That's pricey. The NEX-5 is well enough made for most, sot he same again would be fine.

That $1300 is with a kit lens though. I wonder what the body only package would be? Still, it's all speculation at the moment - let's wait for an announcement first!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

Ill buy the body for $1100-1200.... IF it has good video controls and output.

Myari wrote:

who will but it at that price?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nex-7-for-1300-and-superb-build-quality/

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Depends...

I see no point in that camera unless Sony has the lenses to support it. Currently, the lens selection is weak. IF there are a few high quality zooms and primes introduced, I'd buy it. Without the lens support, what's the point?
--
-------------------------------------------------
'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: Depends...
In reply to dmanthree, Apr 20, 2011

that's true..

but specs could be killer:

• 24 Mpixels sensor capable of 812000 ISO !

• EVF

• Manual controls

• Improved video? (if they find a solution for moirè it could be way better than the VG10 and cost less!)

draganflyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Apr 20, 2011

I agree. a 24mp sensor with manual video control would make it a very tempting camera. That said...it's still a rumor

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,609
Like?

Myari wrote:

Ho hum... this is the site that was telling us a few weeks ago that a new version of the NEX-3 was about to be released. Fool me once..?

If this rumour is true then no, I wouldn't pay that much for a Nex7 body. I'd rather wait until the technology filters-down to Nex5 levels

I wonder if it's a mistake for NEX to enter that market sector: DSLR's offer more flexibility, it's just they are less convenient. NEX fits better at the lower-end IMO and Sony would be better getting out a few more lenses and accessories (flash/EVF etc) rather than releasing yet another wizz-bang body to go alongside the four (NEX 3/5 and two camcorders) they already have

If this body is real then it also starts to cast doubt on the long-term future of the current Alpha mount

villageorge
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, Apr 20, 2011

do remember though that the japan earthquake and its subsequent aftershocks have completely wrecked sony's release schedule. i guess its a case of wait and see. tbh, im fine with my nex-3 as it is, but one thing i would love is a small evf similar to that the olympus m4/3s have. i know there is the clearviewer solution, but given the relatively compact size of the olympus evf, i would like to see it made...sony cant have seriously made the port proprietary if they had zip in mind for it...

edit: is the nex-7 evf built in or an add on?

-- hide signature --
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

The only way to control moire in video is to decrease the resolution of the sensor. This is why the F3/FS100 sensor is only 3.5mp and does not take photos. Photo based sensors are optimized for resolution, small pixels.. which is not good for video.

Pixel binning is not yet possible because it takes HUGE processing power and a very fast read-out to be able to output and process the pixels of the sensor.. e.g. the new F65 bins 20mp down to 8mp.. but, thats gonna cost you a mortgage.

jazzroy1972 wrote:

that's true..

• EVF

• Manual controls

• Improved video? (if they find a solution for moirè it could be way better than the VG10 and cost less!)

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
kenneth_manila
Contributing MemberPosts: 888
Like?
I would

I love the small NEX-5, it's very convenient to carry around the whole day compared to a DSLR. Image quality is good in bright light, not that much indoors--but this is because of the puny flash and I don't have the flash extender (I mainly use the 18-200mm NEX lens).

My main gripe about the NEX-5 is the absence of direct button controls, like the SteadyShot--I would like a dedicated switch on the camera (since the lens does not have it). I use a tripod whenever I can, and diving into the menus can get tiring.

If the rumored NEX-7 has the same image quality but a simpler interface, I would definitely get one.

I might even stop buying DSLRs, as they can get heavy to lug around.

I hope they sell the anticipated E-mount Zeiss lenses soon.

Myari wrote:

IdealCamera
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

People looking for alternatives to the M8. Though I wouldn't put Leica glass on a crop sensor.

Myari wrote:

IdealCamera's gear list:IdealCamera's gear list
Leica M-E Typ 220 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
dasrocket
Regular MemberPosts: 279
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, Apr 20, 2011

dmanthree wrote:

I see no point in that camera unless Sony has the lenses to support it. Currently, the lens selection is weak. IF there are a few high quality zooms and primes introduced, I'd buy it. Without the lens support, what's the point?

It sounds like a powerful small body with a good EVF, support for every lens mount ever made and a superb sensor at 24mp.
If that is not worth the price tag I am not sure what does

1,300 is really not expensive, if you come off the PS frame of mind, and given that the new fixed lens Fuji is not made fast enough, the NEX 7, if made properly will be well received.

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to dasrocket, Apr 20, 2011

dasrocket wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

It sounds like a powerful small body with a good EVF, support for every lens mount ever made and a superb sensor at 24mp.
If that is not worth the price tag I am not sure what does

1,300 is really not expensive, if you come off the PS frame of mind, and given that the new fixed lens Fuji is not made fast enough, the NEX 7, if made properly will be well received.

It's not the price, it's the lenses. The three E mount lenses can barely support the current NEX models. They'd get ugly on a sensor with that resolution. And I REFUSE to use those damned slow, expensive, and clunky adapters. No chance. So without some decent glass, it's not for me.

That said, while the specs are rumor-only, they look great. And if the camera is, physically, as described earlier (kind of like a Minolta A2) then the form factor would work for me, as well.

-- hide signature --

'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 12,824
Like?

jazzroy1972 wrote:

that's true..

• EVF

• Manual controls

Those are not killer specs. They can max the ISO wherever they want, but it's only going to be so good. EVF & manual controls you get on the $750 SLTs. So what could Sony do in a NEX to justify a $1200 (for the body) price ?

My guess would be that the sensor is designed for faster readout, allowing for faster CDAF. (I'd never pay that for a camera with NEX-5 AF speed). I doubt we're going to see an electronic shutter yet, but that would help justify the price tag.

I also agree w/others that such an expensive body in absence of good lenses isn't going to be much of a seller. The rumored CZ24 is a good start, but the other 2011 lenses are rumored to be a 55-200 zoom and a 50/1.8. Sure, plenty of people use NEX w/legacy lenses, but I don't think you're looking at the kind of volumes Sony sees w/consumer sales of the 3 & 5. But then again, this is SAR, which ought to be renamed "Sony Idle Speculation"

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
M8 is a crop sensor though
In reply to IdealCamera, Apr 20, 2011

You do realize the M8/m8.2 is a 1.33x crop sensor though right ?

IdealCamera wrote:

People looking for alternatives to the M8. Though I wouldn't put Leica glass on a crop sensor.

Myari wrote:

mswlogo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: M8 is a crop sensor though
In reply to millsart, Apr 20, 2011

My limit is under $1000.00 for camera like this. It starts to compete too much with DSLR's.

A better screw-on View Finder would be cool. with perhaps a small screen (EVF) inside. Or an optical one that zooms.

I tend not to like EVF because they can't jam in enough pixels to be really useful. But they are handy in bright sun.

I'd rather not see it got to 24mega pixel.

I want even BETTER ISO and it's the reason I picked this camera over other mirrorless ones. Keep it under 16MB.

Increase dynamic range and ISO.

Some better options for flash would be nice. I want to be able to put a tiny diffuser and/or bounce the flash. Just to add 1 or 2 stops of even light.

I kind of like not having all the knobs on it. I was looking at friends G12, it looks like such a geek camera. I know their handy but I love the clean no intimidating look yet it's very powerful. Kind of like a "Sleeper". People won't expect amazing shots because it looks like a dumb P&S.

An automatic lens cap or at least a tether would be nice.

A sliding hood would be cool (like the old Canon 200mm prime).

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,179
Like?
In reply to Dennis, Apr 20, 2011

Dennis wrote:

... Sure, plenty of people use NEX w/legacy lenses, but I don't think you're looking at the kind of volumes Sony sees w/consumer sales of the 3 & 5...

I would have definitely agreed with this last summer, but now I'm not so sure. Sony really seems to be embracing the alternative lens users with this system...although you're still probably correct that it accounts for a small portion of sales. Either way, I can't imagine that Sony would launch this supposed NEX-7 without also releasing the 24, 30 macro, 50 and 55-200 that they're expected to launch this year, and that's an acceptable lineup for many.

For me, either the IQ of the NEX-7 will have to be dramatically better, or the EVF tech will have to outrageously good for me to jump from the NEX-5. I really don't want a bigger camera, because that's why I switched from my A900 in the first place, and my nexviewer contraption has erased my interest in bulky EVFs using the current EVF tech that we've seen.

Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?

If the NEX-7 it's going to be around $1300...what's the difference in buying the SLT-77 instead? Unless they're trying to make a competitor for the M8/M9, i don't see the point to make the NEX-7 $700 higher than the NEX-5 when it arrived to the market...Unless they're selling the NEX-7 and SEL24CZ (or whatever the code it will be for that lens) all together, that makes sense but only a bit..

I'm wondering..if they're going to use the same accessory port as the NEX-5...oh, and what if Sony it's beginning to target the professional sector as they're trying with the NEX-FS100?

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +10 more
ianimal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048
Like?

I don't feel sure about anything yet. Just a rumor so...
I would guess a price for a NEX7 around $1000+-
So maybe 999, 1099, 1199 or even 1299 but just some wild guessing.

A semi-pro DSLR is around 1300-1700$ so a bit cheaper I would guess
the NEX7 could be. Time will tell.

But a bit strange the price already now is rated SR5. I believe the price
could change and would not already now be known.

mswlogo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to ianimal, Apr 20, 2011

ianimal wrote:

I don't feel sure about anything yet. Just a rumor so...
I would guess a price for a NEX7 around $1000+-
So maybe 999, 1099, 1199 or even 1299 but just some wild guessing.

A semi-pro DSLR is around 1300-1700$ so a bit cheaper I would guess
the NEX7 could be. Time will tell.

But a bit strange the price already now is rated SR5. I believe the price
could change and would not already now be known.

Nikon D5100 (same sensor as D7000) and considered one of the best high ISO APS-C sensors is $899.00 with 18-55VR lens.

They need to keep it under a $1000.00

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads