Zeiss 2.8/35mm C + 2.8/25mm ZM Shots

Started Apr 20, 2011 | Discussions
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 25, 2011

Alupang wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Interesting. What's your guess why is that, because your copy doesn't behave like ones from other owners do, because shots you take are taken in conditions that minimize it's visibility, or some other reason?

All my shots minimize "its" visibility because because I cannot find "it" in any of my shots. I posted a shot with a light sky with no color shift...but I was told the sky was overexposed. OK fine, here are 2 shots with the sky correctly exposed. Do you see color shife here? Look that the upper right corners in both shots. If my Zeiss ZM 25mm has corner color shift issues, don't you think it would show in those clouds?

This looks like purple shift to me, no?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,466
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 25, 2011

headofdestiny wrote:

Alupang wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Interesting. What's your guess why is that, because your copy doesn't behave like ones from other owners do, because shots you take are taken in conditions that minimize it's visibility, or some other reason?

All my shots minimize "its" visibility because because I cannot find "it" in any of my shots. I posted a shot with a light sky with no color shift...but I was told the sky was overexposed. OK fine, here are 2 shots with the sky correctly exposed. Do you see color shife here? Look that the upper right corners in both shots. If my Zeiss ZM 25mm has corner color shift issues, don't you think it would show in those clouds?

This looks like purple shift to me, no?

Yup.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
webgeek
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Re: Zeiss 2.8/35mm C + 2.8/25mm ZM Shots
In reply to Alupang, Apr 25, 2011

Very nice images with great lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 25, 2011

headofdestiny wrote:

This looks like purple shift to me, no?

No...unless I'm blind here. That cloud in the upper right looks to me to be the same color tone as the shady portion in other clouds. Maybe I am color blind but seriously? I can clearly see color shift with this CV 25/4 in this thread. So hmmm.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38283408

Can you see the difference? Compare please. These look pretty bad to me while my shots look much better? What do you think?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 25, 2011

And the second shot...this one with the even whiter sky. Looks clean in the upper corner to me. The color shift, if any, would show up more in this image. I always shoot @f5.6-f8 with this much light so no, it isn't an aperture difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 25, 2011

Alupang wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

This looks like purple shift to me, no?

No...unless I'm blind here. That cloud in the upper right looks to me to be the same color tone as the shady portion in other clouds. Maybe I am color blind but seriously? I can clearly see color shift with this CV 25/4 in this thread. So hmmm.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38283408

Can you see the difference? Compare please. These look pretty bad to me while my shots look much better? What do you think?

I can't see the point of the comparison, they're different lenses with different amounts of colour shift. The Snapshot-Skopar has more of course, but that doesn't mean that your Zeiss has none as you claim. I (and others) can clearly see colour shifts in your image; it would gain benefit from the use of Cornerfix just as the Skopar does.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Apr 26, 2011

John Bean (UK) wrote:

I can't see the point of the comparison, they're different lenses with different amounts of colour shift.

Well they are both 25mm...with vastly differnet amount of color shift. One lens has a lot, and one has very little. That's nice to know isn't it?

The Snapshot-Skopar has more of course,

Of course! Way more.

but that doesn't mean that your Zeiss has none as you claim.

I didn't quite say that..."none". I said there is no smearing but I always left the door open a crack for some color shift. I said I could not detect any shift in my real world shots. Yes perhaps there is a small amount according to you guys--but surely nothing like the shift produced with the VC 25mm.

I (and others) can clearly see colour shifts in your image; it would gain benefit from the use of Cornerfix just as the Skopar does.

"Just as" implies similar peformance. I don't agree here. If this shot was taken with the VC 25mm, you would see much more shift. I don't see any in this shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 26, 2011

Alupang wrote:

"Just as" implies similar peformance. I don't agree here. If this shot was taken with the VC 25mm, you would see much more shift. I don't see any in this shot.

Enjoy your lens; I have no idea why you are being so defensive about it and its comparison with a much less expensive lens that has a completely different optical formula, but it's obvious to all but you that they both have colour shifts that would benefit from correction.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Apr 26, 2011

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Enjoy your lens; I have no idea why you are being so defensive about it and its comparison with a much less expensive lens that has a completely different optical formula, but it's obvious to all but you that they both have colour shifts that would benefit from correction.

I would not defend my lens just for the sake of it and it doesn't have anything to do with price. The expensive Zeiss ZM 28mm f2.8 produces smearing in the corners according to samples I've seen with the Nex. And many other VC lenses perform great on the Nex...

It has to do with the lens design--the exit pupil's distance to the sensor I believe; nothing to do with price or whether I own it or not. The Zeiss ZM 2.8/25's design, not the price, is the reason it performs so well on the Nex.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Apr 26, 2011

John Bean (UK) wrote:

but it's obvious to all but you that they both have colour shifts that would benefit from correction.

Not quite so obvious to all..a quick google search found another Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 owner that said: "The ZM Biogon 2.8/25 is currently my favorite lens to use on my NEX-5. No corner smearing, no edge color shift, minor vignetting that is easily fixed in PP. "

Found that here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=36792167

You should go in there and blast away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 537
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 26, 2011

You should go in there and blast away.

lol

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 26, 2011

Alupang wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

I can't see the point of the comparison, they're different lenses with different amounts of colour shift.

Well they are both 25mm...with vastly differnet amount of color shift. One lens has a lot, and one has very little. That's nice to know isn't it?

The Snapshot-Skopar has more of course,

Of course! Way more.

but that doesn't mean that your Zeiss has none as you claim.

I didn't quite say that..."none". I said there is no smearing but I always left the door open a crack for some color shift. I said I could not detect any shift in my real world shots. Yes perhaps there is a small amount according to you guys--but surely nothing like the shift produced with the VC 25mm.

I (and others) can clearly see colour shifts in your image; it would gain benefit from the use of Cornerfix just as the Skopar does.

"Just as" implies similar peformance. I don't agree here. If this shot was taken with the VC 25mm, you would see much more shift. I don't see any in this shot.

It's pretty easy to see on the right side of this shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 26, 2011

I only see two things wrong with that shot: 1) horrible composition and 2) horizon is tilted. I do not see purple shift--worlds apart from what I see from ohter 24-25mms on the Nex.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 26, 2011

The ZM 25 is certainly better with color shift than just about any other rangefinder lens under 30mm. However, it does still exist, and it seems obvious to me in this last pic. I could care less about whether it does or doesn't have purple shift, but it should be mentioned, so that new buyers that will see it know that the shift exists before they spend the money.

Is your monitor calibrated??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,466
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 26, 2011

headofdestiny wrote:

Is your monitor calibrated??

VERY good question.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 27, 2011

headofdestiny wrote:

The ZM 25 is certainly better with color shift than just about any other rangefinder lens under 30mm. However, it does still exist, and it seems obvious to me in this last pic. I could care less about whether it does or doesn't have purple shift, but it should be mentioned, so that new buyers that will see it know that the shift exists before they spend the money.

Is your monitor calibrated??

Honestly I've always been a bit color blind--it's hard for me to distinguish subtle shades of some colors. But I DO clearly see purple shift in those shots with the VC 25...very obvious to me. My monitor/windows is correctly setup for the model Samsung I use so that can't be it. Stange that I cannot see what you claim to see.

I think it boils down to what you call "certainly better" amounts of shift = my older eyes simply cannot detect very small amounts like that? I'm guessing the ZM 25 on the Leica M9 would produce a slight shift too, and I wouldn't be able to detect that either.

I'm planning to buy the Zeiss 24/1.7 too btw. I wonder if that lens can match the ZM25's resolution and contrast. Which lens would you rather have if the 1.7 turns out to have less sharpness and contrast?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sukun
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 29, 2011

above is the pic i taken with nex5 + cz biogon t* 25/2.8
yes, purple colour shift on each side
im yet to experiment the causes of this
prolly to f5.6 and below

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to sukun, Apr 29, 2011

I can see that clearly thanks. I need to watch for that when shooting wide open to f4-5.6 with bright sky.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads