Zeiss 2.8/35mm C + 2.8/25mm ZM Shots

Started Apr 20, 2011 | Discussions
Alupang
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560
Like?
Zeiss 2.8/35mm C + 2.8/25mm ZM Shots
Apr 20, 2011

Straight jpegs from the Nex-3--no PP, cropping or cornerfixing (or extra sharpening) just resized with Irfanview. I don't see any issues with this lens. The first 2 shots are with the 2.8/35 ZM C Biogon. The last 3 are with the 25mm ZM. Really enjoying my new toy--ultimate waist level finder camera.

heynowtest
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Re: Zeiss 2.8/35mm C + 2.8/25mm ZM Shots
In reply to Alupang, Apr 20, 2011

great lenses - should get a leica m film body next

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alupang
Like?
In reply to heynowtest, Apr 20, 2011

heynowtest wrote:

great lenses - should get a leica m film body next

Yes that is the plan. If I could get a new M 8.2 under $2000 I might bite. M9 still needs to depreciate to well under $3000 before I could rationalize buying one. I don't buy electronic toys that depreciate that much so quickly.

On the other hand, these Zeiss lenses may even appreciate in value..if I keep them in mint condition.

Leica needs to ditch the silly LCD screen and make the M more simple and rugged--with 2-3 times the battery life. A good top deck black and white liquid crystal display like the original EOS-1 had is all the M needs. IMO.

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

Leica M8.2 could be an unpleasant discovery, belive me.

The facts:

• it's not full frame but APS-C, so same as NEX. (M9 is full frame).

• Has a awful sensor (and I mean really awful, noise starts to be invasive at 400 ISO, 800 ISO is unusable except for B/W and small scale printing

• Display is ridicuolus in size, resoultion and color.

You would end up in having a camera that takes photos much worse than your Nex and costing 4X.

M9 is FullFrame and has an improved sensor (not on par with Nex-5, but way better than M8.2).

What makes Leica photos unique are lenses, not the digital body.

If you really want it I suggest waiting to buy an M9, for what is worth (fullframe and rangefinder focusing).

My 2 cents

Alupang
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Apr 20, 2011

The M 8.2 is 1.33 crop though...that's significantly better than Nex 1.5 crop. But the camera has issues...and like I said I might buy one only if I could get a brand new one for under $2000. I'm assuming Leica ironed out M8's realibility issues with the M8.2?...didn't the M8 have shutter problems too? I read about M8 users sending their cameras in for repairs...

But I agree... skip it all and wait patiently for the M9 to come down to earth. Perhaps Canon or Nikon will pull their heads out and deliver something that blows everything away...who knows.

Until then, I'm really enjoying the Nex-3 and Zeiss glass. I will sell my 16mm on eBay reducing the cost of the Nex body to about $320...cheap fun.

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

I'm not sure I'd call aps-h significantly better than aps-c.

Alupang
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 20, 2011

It's a bigger sensor correct? So it has less of a crop I believe. That would be better for me because I only shoot 17mm-50mm tops. I have no need for telephoto--if I can't walk up to something, I'm not interested in it.

headofdestiny
Like?

I don't really shoot tele, either. The M8 is a slightly bigger sensor, but you have to weigh whether it makes THAT much of a difference in your field of view, because, performance wise, the NEX has a better sensor.

So, mounting a 35mm lens on an M8 gives you a nearly 47mm equivalent, versus a 52mm equivalent on NEX. Will that affect your shooting that much?

IMO, the only real reason you should consider an M8 or M8.2 is if you're just dying to use a rangefinder focusing system. Field of view and IQ wise, I'm not so sure if it's worth it (I've been having my own debate about this, as well.)

p.s. you'll also have to deal with using IR filters with the M8.

Alupang
Like?

headofdestiny wrote:

So, mounting a 35mm lens on an M8 gives you a nearly 47mm equivalent, versus a 52mm equivalent on NEX. Will that affect your shooting that much?

Not so much with my (our) 35mm C, but with the 25mm, going from 37.5mm to 33.25mm is pretty significant to me. 28mm is my favorite focal length. 33 is getting there...38 is not.

IMO, the only real reason you should consider an M8 or M8.2 is if you're just dying to use a rangefinder focusing system. Field of view and IQ wise, I'm not so sure if it's worth it (I've been having my own debate about this, as well.)

Well yeah, that's the point...to be able to focus through clear glass @ eye level with an all metal Leica would be nice...

That said, waist level with the Nex is actually better suited for my use.

Perhaps the deal-breaker yes. So I'm waitiing for M9.

headofdestiny
Like?

Alupang wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

Not so much with my (our) 35mm C, but with the 25mm, going from 37.5mm to 33.25mm is pretty significant to me. 28mm is my favorite focal length. 33 is getting there...38 is not.

Well yeah, that's the point...to be able to focus through clear glass @ eye level with an all metal Leica would be nice...

That said, waist level with the Nex is actually better suited for my use.

Perhaps the deal-breaker yes. So I'm waitiing for M9.

I hear ya. Wider angle is still tough on the NEX. Your ZM 25 looks good, but I've still seen purple shift in the corners in some scenes form others.

Do you have the Sony 16mm? If you crop to about 12MP, it gives you around a 28mm field of view, and it conveniently chops off the most extreme corners, which is the problem area with that lens.

Alupang
Like?

I hear ya. Wider angle is still tough on the NEX. Your ZM 25 looks good, but I've still seen purple shift in the corners in some scenes form others.

I have a ZM 25 landscape shot with bright edges--from what I see, I cannot detect (or want to see? lol) any purple shift or smearing. I was going to upload it for you, but dpreview is updating servers atm.

Do you have the Sony 16mm? If you crop to about 12MP, it gives you around a 28mm field of view, and it conveniently chops off the most extreme corners, which is the problem area with that lens.

Yes I have the 16mm and it performs fine for me @ f5.6-f11. I am considering selling it though, mainly because it has no distance scale. Shooting at f8 @ ISO200 usually means long exposures with 2 sec self timer. I need a distance scale for that. I feel like I'm shooting blind in the dark with the 16mm; I need to see exactly what distance the lens is set.

Alupang
Like?

I want to add that the 16mm lacking a distance scale is one of the reasons I've been out of photography for over a decade. Cheap autofocusing lenses with crude sloppy plastic focusing rings feels like I'm screwing on a cap on a peanutbutter jar...even with a Canon L.

The Zeiss ZM feels like I'm dialing in a precise metal microscope. I like that.

millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Your distance scale it actually acurate at 25mm ??

I had the ZM25mm as well (though bought mine when I had a M9, where its an awesome lens) though I do think it works pretty well on the NEX, by far the best in its range and way better than the Voightlander 25mm etc

One thing I found though was that regardless of the adapter used, the distance scale was always way off, and as a whole, the wider the lens, the more the distance scales are off.

As such, I found it pretty impossible to focus accurately using the distance scale and always had to confirm the focus using the LCD zoomed in.

Actually I always use the LCD with every focal length as even infinity isn't infinity with most glass/adapters. Sometimes DOF covers it, but I don't want to shoot hyperfocally, as its not exacting enough for larger prints, I want to see right where the point of focus falls and the LCD is great for that.

Alupang wrote:

I want to add that the 16mm lacking a distance scale is one of the reasons I've been out of photography for over a decade. Cheap autofocusing lenses with crude sloppy plastic focusing rings feels like I'm screwing on a cap on a peanutbutter jar...even with a Canon L.

The Zeiss ZM feels like I'm dialing in a precise metal microscope. I like that.

Alupang
Like?
Re: Your distance scale it actually acurate at 25mm ??
In reply to millsart, Apr 20, 2011

millsart wrote:

One thing I found though was that regardless of the adapter used, the distance scale was always way off, and as a whole, the wider the lens, the more the distance scales are off.

You can shim your adapter or just do what I do. I spent about 10mins doing 2 tests and noting exactly where 3ft and infinity really are on the lens' scale. Now that I know the overall behavior of my lens+adapter, I can easily determine any distance. For example, a hair to the left of the infinity symbol is exactly infinity on both lenses I own. I need to know in feet where the lens is set. I also require having a distance scale + DOF markings for landscapes.

maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
More please?

Thanks for the pics. I'm really considering the 35/2.8, so I would appreciate any additional pics you could post. Goes for you too headofdestiny (and anyone else with the lens and NEX combo) Thanks a lot

heynowtest
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
go film!
In reply to Alupang, Apr 21, 2011

at least get an m3 or a zeiss ikon

ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?

Alupang wrote:

I have a ZM 25 landscape shot with bright edges--from what I see, I cannot detect (or want to see? lol) any purple shift or smearing.

ZM 25 does have color shift, trust me.

Alupang
Like?
In reply to ZoranC, Apr 21, 2011

ZM 25 does have color shift, trust me.

Yep I trust you. It's just not yet showing up in my 1st day of shooting about 30 snaps. Here is a light edge jpeg I took yesterday..no cropping or PP of course; just resized.

headofdestiny
Like?

Tough to see in that shot, because the sky is overexposed.

Alupang
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 21, 2011

So an overexposed sky won't show the purple shift hmmm. Learned something here. Next time I go out I'll properly expose a white wall or something.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads