Focusing light no longer works on my D80..

Started Apr 19, 2011 | Discussions
Gilbert_Grape New Member • Posts: 8
Focusing light no longer works on my D80..

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Chroko Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Focusing light no longer works on my D80..

Make sure you haven't disabled "AF assist" in the menu: look at option 04 in the custom settings.

I think the lamp also only illuminates if you're using the center focus point - and it won't illuminate in program modes that don't make any sense (like landscape.)

(And remember the light won't illuminate if there is sufficient contrast in a scene to determine focus without it.)

Chroko's gear list:Chroko's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3
OP Gilbert_Grape New Member • Posts: 8

I just went outside, it's dark here, AF assist is on but it doesn't light up. I've been doing some 'light painting', and thought I might have deactivated it in the dark somehow, but it's showing AF assist is on.

Any chance I've 'hurt' the camera doing 30 second shutter speeds?

webmonkeydk
webmonkeydk Regular Member • Posts: 489

On my D70s the AF assist light in only on in AF-S mode, not AF-C mode...
--
My smugmug gallery can be found at http://www.kimbeck.dk ,

webmonkeydk's gear list:webmonkeydk's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more

Tried that...nothing.

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,486

The first step is to check the light itself - as it is used in self-timer mode, toggle to get self timer symbol on the top LCD, press shutter and it should blink (either 2 or 10 seconds, every second). If that works OK, go in the menu and set it to ON, cover the lens and half-press shutter button. Listen for lens trying to focus (during this time the AF assist should be on. If not, bugger me if I know....

edit: if you were using external flash (SB600 etc) which has its own AF assist, it would be worth resetting the camera to factory default (reset button) as it may still "think" it uses external AF...

Gilbert_Grape wrote:

Tried that...nothing.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100

Thankyou, the timer activated the light

But it doesn't seem to activate when I want it to focus in the dark. AF assist is on, so not sure what's happening there.

Snapshott Senior Member • Posts: 2,302

Have you tried a different lens? I believe it is automatically turned off for certain lenses. I don't believe my light will come on with my 80-200 af-s lens.
--
Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +19 more

Up until a few hours ago, the light was working on S mode doing 30 second shutter speed. Using an 18-135 with a polarizer.

I've just tried it again on Auto and the light comes on. But not in S mode. :/

I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Update: I did a reset, and things are back to normal.

Thankyou to those who offered advice.

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,486

Just a question - did you use external flash ever? I know on my D80 the AF won't lit unles I reset the camera after using SB600 (hence last minute edit) but was thinking it was only my camera. This could help some other people claiming their later models experience the same AF assist glitch.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100

No flash at all, was shooting pics in the dark.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads