SLE - Single Lens Electronic [View]

Started Apr 16, 2011 | Discussions
JohnnieD
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
SLE - Single Lens Electronic [View]
Apr 16, 2011

SLE:

• Bases on SLR: Hints the similarities and differences.

• Both systems has a single lens. Only SLEs have no Reflex system, and their view is electronic.

iae aa eia
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Re: SLE - Single Lens Electronic [View]
In reply to JohnnieD, Apr 17, 2011

This is the most appropriate name.

SLE, no doubt.

The reason is too simple and maybe because of that, people get blind so easily. If the difference is that mirroless cameras do not have a reflexive system and relies entirely on electronics for the image to be viewed, only the last letter (reflex) should be changed, and then we have SLE. Even when speaking it sounds natural e logical.

Most people chose other names because they want a name based on the size of the camera, but it doesn't make sense, as we have SLRs of all sizes, and had even smaller before (Pentax Auto 110).

We're talking about the main difference, a substance difference in terms of technological acheivement that makes a whole story to change.

Be welcome, SLE cameras!

iae aa eia's gear list:iae aa eia's gear list
Kodak EasyShare M853 A3000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
caterpillar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,476Gear list
Like?
Will have problems in 1 year or 2

JohnnieD wrote:

SLE:

• Both systems has a single lens. Only SLEs have no Reflex system, and their view is electronic.

Will have problems in 1 to 2 years when cameras go 3D or have 3D options. 3D lenses have 3 optical paths (at least 3 lenses). What then?

-- hide signature --

• Caterpillar

'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Robert Schroeder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321
Like?

JohnnieD wrote:

SLE:

But most DSLRs nowadays have an electronic view, too – wouldn't that make them SLEs, too?

And what about the latest Sony cameras (which usually are still called DSLRs) with their fixed translucent mirrors and electronic viewfinders? Wouldn't that exactly be SLEs, then?

Cheers,
Robert

davidinwellington
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

Completely agree with this. The only thing changed is the means of transmitting the view to the viewfinder. On an SLR this was the mirror on these cameras it's electronic.

other options would be SLD (digital) or SLV (video).

Doesn't matter about 3D cameras or Sony fixed mirror types, they can find their own names

Jim5k
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Excellent, BUT...

This is the best derivative of the term SLR I've heard. It's even catchy. Kudos.

HOWEVER, I've never liked the term SLR and I don't want to base the new name on that one. I used to work in a camera store (in the film days) and I had to try to describe what SLR meant all the time. It's a horrible name (anyone want to create a forum to rename that one?). Think about it - do we really want to base the new name on an old name that was in trying to differentiate itself from mainstream cameras of the day with two lenses?

Moving forward, let's assume the default (implied) baseline is "Single Lens".

princewolf
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent, BUT...
In reply to Jim5k, Apr 17, 2011

Jim5k wrote:

HOWEVER, I've never liked the term SLR and I don't want to base the new name on that one. ... It's a horrible name (anyone want to create a forum to rename that one?).

Thumbs up, it's exactly the 'DSLR' acronym that's ridiculous in the first place. There's no need to insist on the shady acronym.

Single Intrinsic Electronic Gear High End Interchangeable Lens
It's like EVIL but funnier

princewolf's gear list:princewolf's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 +4 more
Robert Schroeder
Like?
In reply to princewolf, Apr 17, 2011

princewolf wrote:

Single Intrinsic Electronic Gear High End Interchangeable Lens
It's like EVIL but funnier

Being German, I don't see the "funny" part in it.

Robert

princewolf
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Schroeder, Apr 17, 2011

Being Human, I didn't have any problems with EVIL, which we should have a lot more problems about. It was my way of poking at how the acronym game has gotten out of hand. Please loosen up and calm down. There are guys around with signatures accusing me of being a genocider but do I complain? No. If you still feel hurt I will gladly remove it.

princewolf's gear list:princewolf's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 +4 more
iae aa eia
Like?
In reply to Robert Schroeder, Apr 18, 2011

But most DSLRs nowadays have an electronic view, too – wouldn't that make them SLEs, too?

And what about the latest Sony cameras (which usually are still called DSLRs) with their fixed translucent mirrors and electronic viewfinders? Wouldn't that exactly be SLEs, then?

The information is electronic, but not the image viewed through the viewfinder. Those Sony already have the acronym SLT.

iae aa eia
Like?
In reply to Jim5k, Apr 18, 2011

Jim5k wrote:

do we really want to base the new name on an old name that was in trying to differentiate itself from mainstream cameras of the day with two lenses?

I would still prefer SLE, but that yours is a good point (and make things really difficult).

Robert Schroeder
Like?
In reply to iae aa eia, Apr 18, 2011

iae aa eia wrote:

The information is electronic, but not the image viewed through the viewfinder. Those Sony already have the acronym SLT.

Yes, that's their marketing blurb...

But yes, the image viewed through their viewfinder is electronic. No more optical viewfinder. The mirror has lost its original function in those cameras: no "reflex" finder anymore, the mirror's sole purpose is to divert some light for the phase detection AF sensors.

There's not enough light available to both produce a decent image in a reflex finder and leave enough light for the sensor to produce a decent digital image at the same time.

Robert Schroeder
Like?
In reply to princewolf, Apr 18, 2011

princewolf wrote:

Being Human, I didn't have any problems with EVIL, which we should have a lot more problems about.

Why should we? It's a generic term that can mean anything from nothing to whatever you choose it to mean, and there's nothing in it that would be unfit for a little joke.

It was my way of poking at how the acronym game has gotten out of hand. Please loosen up and calm down.

No need to, I'm perfectly calm. And calm as I am I tell you that there's not much fun in the acronym SIEGHEIL.

There are guys around with signatures accusing me of being a genocider

What does that have to do with this?

but do I complain? No. If you still feel hurt I will gladly remove it.

I didn't feel hurt and I don't. I just pointed out that there are some things which do not constitute the best choice for joking.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads