What should we call mirrorless cameras - the poll

Started Apr 15, 2011 | Discussions
Harry Flashman
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
What should we call mirrorless cameras - the poll
Apr 15, 2011

I wouldn't use any of the names suggested in the poll: they are all awkward. This problem needs a simple, catchy name or acronym...

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
Re: What should we call mirrorless cameras - the poll
In reply to Harry Flashman, Apr 16, 2011

I disagree.

Catchy names are for marketing meetings and selling more products to people who don't need to by another camera.

Of course since the manufacturers only see dollar signs they will promote yet another consumer electronic product that buyers don't understand and will abandon when the next gadget comes along.

If it is a camera, call it a camera, sell it as a camera and promote its features and benefits in simple language.

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Rasmussen
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

I would prefer "Mirrorless System Camera"

Brian Rasmussen's gear list:Brian Rasmussen's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +4 more
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,928Gear list
Like?

Harry Flashman wrote:

I wouldn't use any of the names suggested in the poll: they are all awkward. This problem needs a simple, catchy name or acronym...

How about Electronic Viewing Interchangeable Lens, EVIL for short?

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,919Gear list
Like?

Why mention in the name what it hasn't got a mirror, to say mirrorless is rediculous, it also doesn't have a toilet seat or kitchen blender or many other things.

I also have trouble with the D in DSLR, why on earth would we need to keep saying Digital, this is understood in this age, all cameras for the foreseeable future will be digital so it can be dropped and just say SLR.

This thinking will simplify things enormously.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianj, Apr 16, 2011

brianj wrote:

Why mention in the name what it hasn't got a mirror, to say mirrorless is rediculous, it also doesn't have a toilet seat or kitchen blender or many other things.

I agree! A name describing what it doesn’t have is silly. If we followed that rule, my EOS 7D would have to be called a Filmless SLR.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,017Gear list
Like?

brianj wrote:

At the moment, the purpose of saying mirrorless is to distinguish it from the (D)SLR, both of which have interchangeable lenses.

The other implication is also that the mirrorless camera will be smaller than the (D)SLR.

To call a G12 or LX5 mirrorless would make no sense as they do not have interchangeable lenses, although technically, they are also mirrorless.

I also have trouble with the D in DSLR, why on earth would we need to keep saying Digital, this is understood in this age, all cameras for the foreseeable future will be digital so it can be dropped and just say SLR.

The 'D' came into being at the transition from film to digital. I agree with you, that today we can drop the 'D' and just go back to using SLR. But old habits die hard.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Apr 16, 2011

GodSpeaks wrote:

brianj wrote:

At the moment, the purpose of saying mirrorless is to distinguish it from the (D)SLR, both of which have interchangeable lenses.

The other implication is also that the mirrorless camera will be smaller than the (D)SLR.

To call a G12 or LX5 mirrorless would make no sense as they do not have interchangeable lenses, although technically, they are also mirrorless.

I don't see the connection between interchangable lenses and mirrors, admittedly many interchangable lens cameras do have mirrors, but surely there have been some systems in the history of SLRs that did not use a mirror. This fixation with having or not having a mirror seems odd to me.

Why not call it Single Lens Direct View (SLDV)

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Phil Hill
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

Historically, there have been quite a few cameras that had a mirror but not interchangeable lenses, just as there have been cameras (remember the Leica?) that had interchangeable lenses but no mirror. There really isn't a direct connection between a reflex mirror and interchangeable lenses, although they do often go together.

We probably should simply drop the R from DSLR. It's the R that indicates the presence of the (Reflex) mirror.

Mike Ronesia
Like?
In reply to Phil Hill, Apr 16, 2011

Got milc? How about CDA?

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
GodSpeaks
Like?

brianj wrote:

I don't see the connection between interchangable lenses and mirrors, admittedly many interchangable lens cameras do have mirrors, but surely there have been some systems in the history of SLRs that did not use a mirror. This fixation with having or not having a mirror seems odd to me.

There were rangefinder cameras (mainly Leica), but the range of focal lengths that could be used was somewhat limited.

So the mirrorless name (I think) refers more to an SLR without a mirror, than to a rangefinder. Digital technology, however, has probably made the difference moot.

Why not call it Single Lens Direct View (SLDV)

Brian

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
GodSpeaks
Like?
In reply to Phil Hill, Apr 16, 2011

Phil Hill wrote:

We probably should simply drop the R from DSLR. It's the R that indicates the presence of the (Reflex) mirror.

So.. if we drop the D, as it is no longer useful, and now drop the R (equally useless), we end up with 'SL'.

-- hide signature --

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks
Like?
I'm starting to like MILF
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Apr 16, 2011

Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format

-- hide signature --

• Rayna Butler

backontrack
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

So.. if we drop the D, as it is no longer useful, and now drop the R (equally useless), we end up with 'SL'.

And since all new cameras today are single lens, it is redundant, and we can drop that as well.

The only distinguishing features for cameras today are whether they have interchangeable lenses or fixed, and whether viewfinder is electronic or traditional mirror-based.

Therefore Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens. That's that only one that makes logical sense.

flakin stephen
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?

--

But every (proper) camera has a lens, so we don't need that either. That leaves 'S' for single, which being only letter is appropriate.

cheers
Flakey

-- hide signature --

flakey

Phil Hill
Like?
Perfect!
In reply to backontrack, Apr 16, 2011

backontrack wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

And since all new cameras today are single lens, it is redundant, and we can drop that as well.

Now that's sensible! Drop all the silly letters and what do we have left? Camera. I like that.

palincss
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?

Harry Flashman wrote:

Yes, like EVIL.

palincss
Like?

brianj wrote:

In the foreseeable future, there will be both digital and film cameras. Somebody might want to talk about issues related only to the digital ones or the film-based ones. It might be handy to have a simple way to distinguish between them -- say, for example, putting a "d" before the SLR to indicate you meant the digital one.

palincss
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

Phil Hill wrote:

And since the "S" was to distinguish between single-lens and twin-lens reflex cameras (and as we know, the TLR is history) you could drop the "S" as well. So let's just call it a DL. Of course, that doesn't let us distinguish between interchangeable and non-interchangeable Ls, or between R and non-R, or, for that matter, between optical and electronic viewing. I'd imagine people would be interested in those distinctions.

palincss
Like?
Re: I'm starting to like MILF

GodSpeaks wrote:

Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format

Yeah, you could google that acronym and find all sorts of interesting information.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads