Is there a difference between a SDHC Class10 card and a SDHC UHS-1 class10 card?

Started Apr 8, 2011 | Discussions
Bo
Bo
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Is there a difference between a SDHC Class10 card and a SDHC UHS-1 class10 card?
Apr 8, 2011

A different question with the same premise as in another thread...

I need to get a Class10 card for my D7000. That is because I shoot a lot of sports and my class 6 cards start choking after 15 or so high speed shots at full size jpg. I wouldn't even dream of trying it in raw.

Amazon shows the Sandisk Extreme 8gig SDHC Class10 for $43. Then I happened to be at Best Buy last night and saw that they had a Sandisk Extreme 8gig SDHC HD Video Class10 that is also UHS-1.

They both say 30mb/s speed.

My understanding is that the UHS-1 rating means that even though it is a Class 10, it should be able to sustain faster write speed.

So is there a speed difference between those two cards? Does the UHS-1 rating on one of them mean anything if they both say 30mb/second? Will it make a difference is high speed shooting for sports?

Thanks very much.

Bo

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,520Gear list
Like?
A simplistic answer
In reply to Bo, Apr 8, 2011

In spite of advertisements and standards, ALL class 10s are NOT the same. I trust SanDisk. BOTH would be plenty fast!
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,498Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a difference between a SDHC Class10 card and a SDHC UHS-1 class10 card?

this one is rated @45 is even less.

SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) UHS-1

I bought mine at b&h for $36 for an 8 gb, one for each slot.

The biggest advantage for the D7k is how fast the buffer clears, although you may get a few more shots even with settings maxed out.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a difference between a SDHC Class10 card and a SDHC UHS-1 class10 card?

I purchased two of the 8G UHS-1 cards from Adorama at $36.00 ea.

These cards are the fastest available at the current time. The D7K buffer will clear faster and allow a few more shots before slowing down. The camera also does not slow as much as with class 10 cards.

Well worth the money.
--

In god we trust, all others are suspects

Licensed firearms dealer in Houston, Texas

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
amooz
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
A little more detailed
In reply to Steve Bingham, Apr 8, 2011

The SD Class X spec only specifies the minimum read/write speed of the card, not the actual speeds. That's why you have some Lexar Class 10 cards doing 10.4MB/s, some Kingston class 10 cards doing 20MB/s, and Sandisks doing 30+MB/s. The rating system only goes up to Class 10, which creates the aforementioned ambiguity as to just how fast the card is.

-- hide signature --

"In technology I'm placing all my trust"
http://www.AdamMooz.com/Photography

amooz's gear list:amooz's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Bo
Bo
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to sandy b, Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for the info everyone!

Great tip, Sandy. I hadn't even noticed that. Just order one of the Extreme Pro from Amazon. Thank you.

Bo

Cultured Woman
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bo, Aug 7, 2011

The memory buffer will clear out faster with UHS-1 speed class cards.

I have noticed no difference in test I ran with Class 6 or Class 10 cards.

UHS-1 cards work to clear out the buffer faster than class 6/10 cards.

But, more expensive, faster UHS-1 cards do not work any better than each other...

See test meathods and results at: http://glamourphotography.co/gear/nikon-d7000-memory-speed-tests-sdhc-memory-cards-including-sandisk-extreme-pro-uhs-speed-class-1-45mbsec-and-several-popular-class-10-sdhc-cards/

And,

http://glamourphotography.co/gear/uhs-speed-class-1-sdhc-memory-cards-tested-delkin-8gb-elite-633x-secure-digital-uhs-i-95-mbsec-vs-sandisk-extreme-pro-32gb-45mbsec/

-- hide signature --

Yucel
Glamour Photographer

Cultured Woman's gear list:Cultured Woman's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads