Leica X1 Battery

Started Apr 6, 2011 | Discussions
Chuck Fralick
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Leica X1 Battery
Apr 6, 2011

I'm somewhat of a power engineering guy and the thought of paying $84 minimum for an X1 battery just rubbed me the wrong way. At the same time, I didn't want some junk battery to damage my camera. I was browsing Amazon and found what's called a "Wasabi Power" battery for the X1 from an outfit called Blue Nook. I ordered one (about $16 as I recall) and I am very pleased. I tested it for no-load potential and charging rate and it's fine. In use I get about 20% more life from it (so far on 3 charge cycles). It has Japanese-sourced cells and appears to be well made.

Anyway, thought I would pass on a tip for those who might not want to spend a ton of money on a Leica OEM battery. No, I am not affiliated with Blue Nook or Wasabi Power. I would put an honest plug in for Blue Nook. Their customer service is excellent and they are very nice folks to deal with.

Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck Fralick's gear list:Chuck Fralick's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax MX-1 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica X1 Battery
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 6, 2011

It's good that you did the tests to make sure. Now be sure to monitor the progress of that battery to check for variations, leakage, overheating, or short life, and post anything you find here. I'm not surprised that a third-party battery would test OK, but what really bugs me is how genuine batteries from certain major names are poor quality and don't last.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuck Fralick
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Apr 7, 2011

Dale,

You're exactly right. In my business we work with exotic batteries that are often very expensive (think $70 for a D-Cell size lithium-chemistry battery) and we use hundreds of them at a time. The variation in exhaustion time, measured temperature and even build quality is very surprising. As you know, there is nothing at all unique about these batteries. LiON cell voltage is fixed, and the chemistry is well understood, so the idea of paying $85 for a small battery is irksome to me.

Anyway, will post a follow ups.

Chuck

Chuck Fralick's gear list:Chuck Fralick's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax MX-1 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 7, 2011

Given that I paid $120 U.S. for mine, I feel much worse. But then, I've been stung badly by Sony, HP, Motorola, and others, so in the long run, for a person like me who hasn't got the time to hassle with these things and waste time driving to the shipper to return them (to say nothing of the time wasted getting RMA's etc.), I stick with known brands regardless of cost. If it were $1000 instead of $100, I would possibly reconsider.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
CincySteve
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 9, 2011

Thank you Chuck! Just got my X1 and ordered a spare battery from these folks. Now if they only made an X1 Travel Case that was affordable!

astacee
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 11, 2012

Hello,

I am wondering if the standard Leica X1 charger works with the wasabi battery?

Thank you, Astacee

Vetteran
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 12, 2012

I have 2 wasabi batteries as backups and have had no issues. They work with the Leica charger. There are also inexpensive portable chargers which also work well.

Regarding the case, check out Rainbow Imaging for half-cases. They cost under $100 and come in a variety of colors and leather finishes.
--
vettran.zenfolio.com

Vetteran's gear list:Vetteran's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica X1 Leica X Vario
DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,794
Like?
In reply to Vetteran, Apr 12, 2012

Don't know if I would risk damaging a $ 2000 camera by saving $ 60 or $ 70 dollars on a battery. If camera is under warranty and gets damaged by this battery, it may not be covered.

a1shot
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 12, 2012

Hi, I do understand your view, but as said in this Post, a cheapo battery in a high end piece of equipment - mmmm? When I got my first 111F I used to buy the east european film, at a Kodak day (Kew Gardens) I used Kodak, oh boy what a difference.. I appreciate that a battery is not film. With my Nikon's & Leica's I always use the manufacturers batteries.. It's a piece of mind thing..For Me 😉
Ima' nice kinda guy!

Vetteran
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?
In reply to a1shot, Apr 14, 2012

To each his/her own. I've had no issues.
--
vettran.zenfolio.com

Vetteran's gear list:Vetteran's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica X1 Leica X Vario
astacee
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to astacee, Apr 16, 2012

Thank you for all your answers, much appreciated!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads