My NEX-5 EVF is here...

Started Apr 3, 2011 | Discussions
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,179
Like?
My NEX-5 EVF is here...
Apr 3, 2011

I've managed to come up with a NEX EVF alternative that works incredibly well for me.

While I've been a big proponent of the Clearviewer, it does have limitations. I just made something tonight in about 15 minutes that, IMO, surpasses everything that I've seen so far, and it only cost me about $65. Surely, someone could probably source parts for cheaper, but this is my first implementation of the idea.

Essentially, I've taken my Clearveiwer, cut off the end that attaches to the tripod socket, and glued it to my made-for-NEX LCD shade. The result is a slim, cheap EVF alternative that adds less bulk than a bulky hotshoe EVF like for the Olympus EP-2.

Here are the urls for the Clearviewer and LCD shade:
http://clearviewer.com/Products.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pop-up-LCD-Hood-Cover-Screen-Protector-Sony-NEX-3-5-/330540572383?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item4cf5c0dedf#ht_2902wt_907

First, I cut off the tripod attachment end of the Clearviewer and sanded it down slightly to smooth it out a bit. I'd bet the guys at Clearviewer would make a custom piece, for those that don't want to ruin their own Clearviewer:

Second, I slightly sanded out the inside edge of the Clearviewer hinge, so that it opened up fully to 90 degrees:

Finally, I used some super glue to attach the Clearviewer to the top of my LCD shade. Piece of cake!

The design adds a bit of extra depth, but it isn't very noticeable.

I can still open the shade and view the LCD sans magnifier:

Flip down the magnifier, and you've got a shaded EVF equivalent:

Want to shoot waist level? No problemo, this tilts with the LCD:

Want to shoot without it at all? No problemo, it pops right off of the camera easily, because the shade attaches with the four corner attachments made for the Sony LCD protector:

All in all, this works so well that I'm not sure that I'd want a real, add-on EVF, because it would likely be expensive and add a lot of bulk to the top of the camera.

The Clearviewer's main caveat is that there is some distortion of the screen (even with the premium version Clearviewer lens that I have,) but it isn't enough to bother me much at all. Also, the hinge of the magnifier does extend a couple of millimeters below the tripod mount, so that may bother some and get in the way, but my leather case adds enough height to negate the issue, and one could just tilt the LCD slightly up to attach to a tripod while using this "EVF," if they have clearance issues.

I'm thrilled with this thing, and it works like a charm! What do you think?

p.s. if you try this, make sure to line up with the LCD properly. Because of the info panel at the right of the NEX screen, the center of viewfinder is slightly offset to the left.

jasby
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Re: My NEX-5 EVF is here...
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 3, 2011

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!! When do you go into production ???????
John

jasby's gear list:jasby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to jasby, Apr 3, 2011

Ha! Well, since I'm basically just gluing together two products from other vendors, I think my options are limited, but it was a fun, easy home project. It certainly makes more sense than putting one of these on NEX, IMO:

PhillipA
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,505
Like?
Great stuff....

.. I ale=ready have a Clearviewer (love it) and have just ordered the LCD shade - Superglue - here I come !
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,485
Like?

Brilliant. I'm going to have to have a go. Thanks for the work and photos.
--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

string cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758
Like?
Quite nice, thank you for sharing (nt)
-- hide signature --

KEITH-C
Forum ProPosts: 14,131
Like?
Re: Quite nice, thank you for sharing (nt)
In reply to string cheese, Apr 3, 2011

Interesting idea & the only quarrel that I have is the suggestion that your device is less bulky than a hot-shoe mounted EVF ? It is however a better solution than having no EVF or just having a 16mm capable VF.
--
Keith-C

headofdestiny
Like?
Re: Quite nice, thank you for sharing (nt)
In reply to KEITH-C, Apr 3, 2011

Thanks. I do think this is less bulky, because it doesn't add length to the shortest dimension of the camera. Anytime I use the 16mm OVF, I have to remove it before I put the NEX-5 in any one of my various bags. The same could be said about the ep-2 EVF:

GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,738Gear list
Like?
That is NOT an EVF

And like most bolt-ons, destroys the one advantage the NEX has... small compact size.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
headofdestiny
Like?
Re: That is NOT an EVF
In reply to GodSpeaks, Apr 3, 2011

GodSpeaks wrote:

And like most bolt-ons, destroys the one advantage the NEX has... small compact size.

Which requirement of "electronic Viewfinder" doesn't it meet? I guarantee that any add-on accessory EVF will add more noticeable bulk. This thing I made has a pretty slim profile, and it hasn't changed its handling capacity one bit. Plus, you can pop it off and throw it in any pants pocket, if the extra millimeters of depth bothers you. Honestly, there is nothing about this that is "like most bolt-ons" that I've seen.

headofdestiny
Like?

Added a bit of Hasselblad synthetic leather from cameraleather.com to spruce it up a bit:

headofdestiny
Like?

Here is one more pic of my "nexviewer" off camera. The LCD shade adds about 7mm of depth to the camera, and the Clearviewer piece adds another 10mm in the center. Considering how much lens length various for users with NEX, and this unit only adds to that dimension, the extra size really isn't very noticeable, and it is very lightweight. It certainly adds less bulk than most lens hoods or attachable EVFs that I've seen:

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,419Gear list
Like?

It's painfully obvious that it is less bulky than an EVF add-on sticking up on top. You're always going to have some contrarian opinions (especially from Keith! ).

Sure, I'd like an official Sony EVF, but it would add bulk and eliminate any chance of easy pocketability, whereas this contraption would probably still fit in most of my (non-jeans) pockets (and if not, would be more easily dealt with).

It looks like one could design a unit that was even thinner than this.

headofdestiny wrote:

Here is one more pic of my "nexviewer" off camera. The LCD shade adds about 7mm of depth to the camera, and the Clearviewer piece adds another 10mm in the center. Considering how much lens length various for users with NEX, and this unit only adds to that dimension, the extra size really isn't very noticeable, and it is very lightweight. It certainly adds less bulk than most lens hoods or attachable EVFs that I've seen:

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 3, 2011

GaryW wrote:

It's painfully obvious that it is less bulky than an EVF add-on sticking up on top. You're always going to have some contrarian opinions (especially from Keith! ).

Sure, I'd like an official Sony EVF, but it would add bulk and eliminate any chance of easy pocketability, whereas this contraption would probably still fit in most of my (non-jeans) pockets (and if not, would be more easily dealt with).

It looks like one could design a unit that was even thinner than this.

Absolutely. I would imagine someone could shave quite a few millimeters off of the design, if it was all one unit. This was more of a proof of concept. BTW, some that try this may want to use velcro, rather than clue, to attach the unit, so you can take it on and off.

headofdestiny
Like?

I wanted to add that all of the above pics were taken with the iPhone at close range, and so the distortion makes the unit look bigger than it is. In person, it looks pretty well integrated with the camera.

anaksatawo
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?

very impressive. if i have the chance (and time), i will try this DIY project. thank you for the share.

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,485
Like?
Clearviewer say they will provide the modified lens on request!!!!
In reply to anaksatawo, Apr 3, 2011

I contacted Clearviewer and referred them to your post and suggested they might look at providing the viewer alone. They say they will be able to do this so the price of the viewer on its own would be about $25 and would save having to cut it off. They tell me they will be able to provide these shortly and I have ordered one.
Just how critical is the distance from the lens to the screen?

Great piece of work HOD.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

headofdestiny
Like?
Re: Clearviewer say they will provide the modified lens on request!!!!
In reply to Mike Fewster, Apr 3, 2011

The distance is critical, but it works out just right with the LCD shade that I ordered.

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,481Gear list
Like?
UAS: ugly as sin.
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 4, 2011

ugly

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,002Gear list
Like?
Re: UAS: ugly as sin.
In reply to photo perzon, Apr 4, 2011

photo perzon wrote:

ugly

Anything else constructive to add? No? Didn't think so. Back to topic. The idea is sound. However as others have said could do with refinement.

You could get a manufacturer on board and there would be potential to make a variant with the magnifier incorporated in the LCD shade without the need for an additional flip down magnifier. This would help reduce the bulk of this current concept.

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads