Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses

Started Apr 2, 2011 | Discussions
Kyogle
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses
Apr 2, 2011

Today I won on eBay a Tamron Adaptall 2 200mm F/3.5 Model 04B with PK/A adapter for £52.10. An hour later same seller sold a PK/A adapter alone for £55.00 so I guess I got the lens for less than nothing

Does anyone know how good the Tamron 200 lens is? I won't get the chance to test it until I am back in Scotland later in the year.

Also, and the main reason for this post: What other Adaptall lenses are worth having?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland but in Melbourne for now.

Kyogle's gear list:Kyogle's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +9 more
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,042
Like?
Re: Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses
In reply to Kyogle, Apr 2, 2011

http://www.adaptall-2.org/ has lots of info for you. Look for the SP series lenses. And good catch on the PKA adaptor.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pacerr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,570
Like?
In reply to Kyogle, Apr 2, 2011

IMO, it's comparable to my Super Tak or SMC-M 200/4's. Perhaps just a tad sharper at long distance and only average at closer ranges but deceptive owing to different degrees of contrast.

Works well with the 140F but loses the usual sharpness with a TC pair of that era.

Competitive with my DA 50-200 at 200mm but a different rendering and flare response as expected.

Not in the same league as the SP 180 but still a pleasure to use.

Enjoy it.

H2

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,941
Like?
In reply to Kyogle, Apr 3, 2011

Kyogle wrote:

Today I won on eBay a Tamron Adaptall 2 200mm F/3.5 Model 04B with PK/A adapter for £52.10. An hour later same seller sold a PK/A adapter alone for £55.00 so I guess I got the lens for less than nothing

Does anyone know how good the Tamron 200 lens is? I won't get the chance to test it until I am back in Scotland later in the year.

Nice pick up (on the adaptall), not sure about the lens but i suspect it will be good.

Also, and the main reason for this post: What other Adaptall lenses are worth having?

I have a 70-210 3.5 model 19ah ...this is a very good lens that until not so long ago was quite expensive (until the Sigma and Tamron 200 2.8 zooms became readily available).....so now it is a abosulte bargain.....I guess because it is so "slow" compared to 2.8. it is also huge for what it is and i guess that is why it is a good lens ...they did not take short cuts to get the lens physically shorter like they would now.

I also have and love a adaptall 300 2.8 (60b) and it is also a bargain with a stabilized Pentax ....both of those lenses also work very nicely wiuth a 1.7x auto focus adapter (gving a stabilzed af 510mm 4.8 lens with the 300 2.8 for around a thousand dollars (if you are lucky maye even less than $800 for the lens and afa).

I use both lenses and the afa with my K-x to shoot Greyhound racing and the pics are published in the largest circulation Greyhound weekly in Australia....mostly fairly small size so far, some as fillers but some others a bit larger as part of photo pages.

I also have a couple of others that are not SP series lenses and they are not as good....one is a earlier adaptall lens that is pretty good but i prefer the 19ah with a similar range.

neil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/

ozbrit
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?
In reply to Pacerr, Apr 3, 2011

Tamron SP 35-80mm is a good sharp med zoom lens, expect to pay around 40 quid for that/ The SP90mm f2.5 with 1:2 macro is a gem of a lens if you like sharp. expect to pay 55-60 poundfs for that one.

Good catch on the P/KA mount

wildkat2
Contributing MemberPosts: 898Gear list
Like?

Im pretty sure that lens has been reviewed on the Forum who shall not be named. Its a Forum for Pentax users, almost a PentaxForum

-- hide signature --
 wildkat2's gear list:wildkat2's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +16 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,813
Like?

Kyogle wrote:

I hope the PK/A adapter is a good one. Some of them will read F__ or F4 when it should read say f2.8. Sometimes they can be fixed by removing (scrape with a sharp object) some gunk on the three rivets that are CCW from the left most contact pin. Other times they will need to be taken apart and an adjustment made inside. There was a thread about this a couple of years ago.

I think it is a fairly nice lens. I would compare it to the quality of the Pentax-A, Pentax-M, and Pentax-K 200mm f4 lenses. The filter threads are 58mm and the front elements do not rotate. Minimum focusing distance is 1.7m (5.6 feet). It also has a Built-in type, retractable hood. This lens also works quite well with the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter.

All of these are Adaptall 2 lenses. The Tamron's SP lens line was targeted towards serious amateur and professional photographers.

• 24mm F/2.5 Model 01B (Not an SP lens but I like it. A cheap way to get a 24mm lens.)

• SP 90mm f2.8 Macro 1:1 Model 72B

• SP 180mm F/2.5 LD-IF Model 63B

• SP 300mm F/2.8 LD-IF Model 60B

• SP 300mm F/2.8 LD-IF Model 360B

• SP 400mm F/4 LD-IF Model 65B

• SP 80-200mm F/2.8 Model 30A (a very heavy lens, built like a tank, requires a tripod)

All of the lenses I've listed, from the 90mm down, work well with the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Kyogle
Like?
Thanks, Ron
In reply to brandrx, Apr 4, 2011

Ron, thank you very much for your detailed response. I appreciate the time you have taken. The one 300mm lens I could manage to carry around (I'm 72) would be the SP 300 f/5.6 model 54B. Do you know how good this lens would be?
--
David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland.

Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +9 more
Kyogle
Like?
Thank you, Neil
In reply to neil holmes, Apr 4, 2011

I appreciate your detailed reply. I will be needing a lens for when I visit Bird Park and Zoo when I next make a stopover in Singapore. When I was there earlier this year I had only a DA70 with me. I now have 70mm and 200mm covered.

I bought the Adaptall-2 200mm lens especially for Singapore so as good as your 70-210 lens is I probably don't need a zoom.

The 300 f/2.8 would be far too heavy for me (I'm 72) but I could manage an SP 300 f/5.6 model 54B. Do you have any experience with this lens?
--

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,813
Like?
Re: Thanks, Ron
In reply to Kyogle, Apr 4, 2011

Kyogle wrote:

Ron, thank you very much for your detailed response. I appreciate the time you have taken. The one 300mm lens I could manage to carry around (I'm 72) would be the SP 300 f/5.6 model 54B. Do you know how good this lens would be?

I read your reply to Neil and in my opinion you would be better off with the Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED than the Tamron SP 300 f/5.6 model 54B. The Pentax will do everything the Tamron can do and do it better. The Pentax is lighter, 15.5 oz (440g), versus 21.5 oz. (610g) for the Tamron. I bought the Tamron just for my collection but I seldom use it. I would grab my Pentax DA 55-300mm before I would grab the Tamron to take with me.

Also, you would only need one lens with the Pentax DA 55-300mm versus two lenses with the Tamron 200 that you bought and the Tamron 300 that you are thinking about buying.

EDIT: Another option that would be cheaper is one of the various 70-300mm lenses from Sigma or Tamron. They have a 1:2 macro that would be good if you are into Macro shooting. The 75-300's are usually 1:4 macro. I have read that the Tamron is sharper but the Sigma (APO) verison has less purple fringing (PF). You can usually find these lenses, used, pretty darn cheap. I bought a Tamron 70-300mm Model 572 for $69 and gave it to a nephew. My brother Carl used to use a Model 572 Tamron all the time on his K100D Super.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Hin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440
Like?
Re: 200mm f/3.5 (04B) is my favorite, some samples

You have got a great deal in your purchase. The adaptall-2 04B is my favorite prime lens in the adaptall-2 series.

Some samples

I like this prime best in its small form factor and nice metal build. I have more samples in my blog post

http://www.techtheman.com/2010/09/hiking-with-tamron-200mm-f35-adaptall-2.html

And two tips on the pk-a adapter. It is normal that sometime you see F-- display of aperture when you have selected AE setting on adapter ring. Usually a wiggle to the left of the lens mount will correct for proper lens contact problem. I have 4 copies of the pk-a and all have the similar issue of loose Aperture contact occasionally. And some adapter have a difficult time to go for bigger aperture with values smaller than f/4.0. I used sand paper (or a sharp object) to scratch off material on the adapter in golden lens contact area. More detail in this blog post

http://www.techtheman.com/2009/06/tamron-adaptall2-pka-adapter.html

-- hide signature --
Kyogle
Like?
Thanks Hin Man
In reply to Hin Man, Apr 4, 2011

Your photos have made me excited to try my 'new' lens when I get home to Scotland.

Thanks too for your tips in case P/KA adapter has a problem.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond and to share your lovely photos. Much appreciated.
--

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland but in Melbourne for now.

Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,523
Like?
300/5.6

Kyogle wrote:

The one 300mm lens I could manage to carry around (I'm 72) would be the SP 300 f/5.6 model 54B. Do you know how good this lens would be?

David - the 300/5.6 is very light for a 300mm lens but I'm not sure of its IQ. The copy I have is rather strange: it exhibits fringing (mainly green) throughout the aperture range although it is least at f/11. This rather restricts its usefulness but it has a special creamy look that really suits some subjects.

The difficulty is knowing whether this characteristic is generic to the lens or just this copy.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

Yamin Tedja
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?

I think a small 200mm lens like that will be useful if you have to go to an event which don't allow you to bring long lens, that lens will pass security because of the small size. I have a cosinon 200mm f/4 lens which is really small and it is really helpful for taking candid street portrait because the people you photographing will not notice and also for taking picture at an event where you cannot bring long lens.

And I saw Neil comment above regarding the tamron sp 70-210mm f/3.5 lens. It is a really good lens which I also recommend. This is my main manual focus portrait lens, it is a little bit heavy but lighter than the 80-200mm f/2.8. Even at f/3.5 it is already sharp. Focusing with this lens is really easy and I really like the push pull zooming mechanism. If you like to record movie, this lens is really good for movie recording because of the push pull mechanism and big focusing ring. But this lens is not good for traveling because of the weight. For travel lens you better get the tamron 18-250mm which is about the same weight as your tamron 200mm f/3.5 and you only have to bring 1 lens. Anyway, I attached some of the portrait samples that I took with the tamron 70-210mm lens.

And if you want a long zoom and don't want to carry both 300mm f/2.8 and 400mm f/4, I recommend the tamron 200-500mm f/5.6 adaptall. It is long and quite heavy but at least you don't have to carry 2 or 3 primes lens and with 2x teleconverter the result will still be good as long as you want to stop it down a little bit. It is a little bit soft at f/5.6 but at f/8 or f/11 it is quite sharp. Here are some samples from the tamron 200-500mm lens

Kyogle
Like?
Thanks Gerry and Yamin
In reply to Yamin Tedja, Apr 4, 2011

You've both given me more to think about. I appreciate that you've taken the time to upload photos. Very helpful.

Fortunately I still have around four months to assemble the kit I need for Singapore Zoo and Bird Park.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads